Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Featured "Hot Rod" Found!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trichop, Jun 18, 2009.

1. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

That's awesome. I'lle bet it did... How recent of an Ebay item was that?

My vote would be as the HRM feature, especially since you don't have the tag to go with it(yet).

2. sodaturk

sodaturk
    from san diego

3. fuzzface

fuzzface

Nice find. I vote for the HRM feature car.

4. richie rebel

richie rebel

very nice find,i too vote for the feature car,good luck with the build....richie.........

5. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

WOW!!!
    Is that for sale?
    I spoke with Ralph Jr today (He's seventy something)
    it was his sister Carol Potter ,who's picture was in the HRM article
    She was 18 at the time
    Ralph Sr also had a car called "Lucky Merc" that was featured in a book of famous Roadsters (A 27 T also?)
    Anyone have a picture?
    Bob Hemke and Ralph Potter Sr were best friends

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. showrod

showrod

the flathead intake I posted was a picture I saved from an ebay auction over the winter. the final bid was close to or around $900 a lot of dough considering its the same design as a fenton, D&S and a few others. although I suspect fewer of this name exist. trichop,you should ask Ralph jr. about it maybe he still has one or two. considering you are going to restore this car you may be suprised what he finds for you. If nothing else thanks to this car you are making new friends that share the same interests.

7. xadamx

xadamx

Do it like the HRM feature car...sick!

8. So what do you need to start this restore ? and what can we start looking for this assume ride.

9. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think I found a running 50 Ford flathead for sale

10. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

great story, I look forward to future updates!!!!

11. uc4me

uc4me

as long as it is saved it really doesn't matter...with that said, salt flats

12. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I've been having trouble sleeping,thinking about this car,
    and what to do
    I want to build one more car in this lifetime
    This would be the one to build , a once in a "Lifetime" find
    Maybe have it done by 2011 for Bonneville...... and running down the "Salt Flats" on the 60th Anniversary of when the car ran it in 1951
    I"ve never ran the Salt Flats.............but I've dreamed of doing it one day
    Now..........The other side of the Sword........
    I've been talking to Robert Hamke, about the history of the car (Son Of Bob Hamke who built the car)
    Seems he's been looking for the car for over 40 years
    He thought it was lost forever, untill I called him
    I sent him pictures
    He was shocked to see how much was still left of the car
    He asked if I would sell it to him
    I told him I would have to think it over
    I think Robert was about 6 when his Dad sold it
    His Dad passed in 1993
    But he remembers the car and the shows he attended with him
    Do I sell it?....... Do I keep it?
    Do I give up my Dream ,so he can have his?
    I've tossed and turned
    It was HIS father who made it famous
    When Robert restores the car, he'll have a different feeling than I will
    following his Dads Footsteps
    A Special Feeling
    Since his Dad did all the work
    I talked to Robert today on the phone
    He's a really Great Guy and also has Hot Rods
    I gave him a price
    He's comming up to see the car in person
    after 50 Years
    And will Probably take the car "Home" Again
    some will think I'm stupid
    But sometimes ya gotta do the right thing
    I guess I'm just "Old School"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  13. trad27

trad27

i hate to say it, but if robert is a car guy and you trust that he wont do any unspeackable things to it, then it should go to him. just my 2 cents. but damn i dont know if i could let it go if it were me.

14. :eek::(:):(:):(:confused::confused::confused:

Would be a very tough call, I think you are a better man than I,
    I am afraid I would have to go through with your original plan and then sell it to him after your Bonneville run, that way you both get your dream...

Tell him if he gets it part of the deal has to be build picks keep coming.
    we all are way to involved now to not know how this goes from here...

Thanks for all you have done by including us in your dream...

15. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

Man I don't think your stupid at all, thats very cool of you to give him the chance of owning his dad's old hot rod!

16. Ebert

Ebert

Trichop,

While I realize that there are economics involved, just for you to consider the emotions of Robert, Jr is truly impressive. Like Robert's dad, my dad built some incredible cars in the 50's (have posted many on a thread on the HAMB) and I have been looking forever for them. I would give my right nut for a chance to be "reunited" with my dad's "work" as you so correctly state. Just to be able to see, touch and "feel" my dad through his "work" would be priceless. Not trying to be sappy, but I think about my late dad everyday and I am very impressed and touched that you have considered these same feelings that no doubt Robert, Jr. has.

No matter what you do, you are ACES with me and a real MAN! I wish you the best with your decision and no matter what you do, you will do the right thing!!! You have resurrected a great piece of history which no doubt you covet as we all do. Again, don't feel guilty if you keep it and don't think twice if you sell it. Give 'em hell!

Ebert

17. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

i think it should be sold back to the guys son ..it may be worth alot of money but it might be worth more to him ....just think if your dad had built a car and you were to young to be a part of it at the time he than sells it...and all you have are pictures and storys to go on ...than 1 day you here it is still around ...you bet ya butt you would want to have it .at any cost...put ya self in his shoes ...and plus you will always be a part of the story line as the guy he bought it back from ...now ya part of history once owning a peice of history...i think thats worth more than anything ....thats just my 2 cents..

18. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Tough call.. But Getting your fathers Hot Rod would be something that is really special to
    a son.. I would hate to doit but I would sell it to him..

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I agree, the car should go to the son. It would be a tough thing to do, as you say, this is the find of a lifetime. This continues to be a very interesting thread, and hopefully an example of what is still out there waiting for a Hamber to come along.

20. l-head

l-head
    from ohio

It will take a real man to let the car go .. But it needs to go home to the son that has dreamed of this day..:)

21. That really is a tough call, you found the car and intend to respect its history by restoring it. Robert's father may of made it famous but if Robert buys it does he intend restore it or update it?

22. Jbirds51

Jbirds51
    from Sac ca

I think its kinda ugly...

23. RussTee

RussTee

how about offering it to the son as a swap for another car that way you both get what you want you a cae to drive and him his dads old car to restore

24. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

There is nothing wrong with doing the right thing.

If someone else owned your decessed father's hot rod that had his blood, sweat and tears in it from 50 years ago I think you would want it back also.

It is more than a car it is part of his family.

The only reason not to sell the car is if they were not going to restore to its former glory or street rod it.

I would make damn sure the son's intentions before I sold this piece of history.

You have a tough decision to make, but if he going to restore his father's car properly to its former glory with not BILLET shit or changes then I think it is the right thing to do.

25. Jax2A

Jax2A

Wow, tough break, I don't envy your position. Like others said, I'd want to be positive of his intentions. I think I'd draw up a contract that said if this car shows up at auction in the next 20 years you get 10% as a finders fee. I guess I'm jaded because I've seen too many sons my age (43ish) go greedy and sell things their fathers worked very hard for. With that said, the only Vette I've ever wanted is my Dad's. I don't generally care for them, but I'd want his. I think I'd sell but I think I'd go for the aforementioned contract WITH a clause that said I get to take a pass at Bonneville once it is done. If he's the real deal he'd have no problem with that.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

This story just gets better every day, can't imagine what it must have felt like to be Robert getting the phone call about a car he's been looking for it for 40 years. I'd sell it to him if I was in your shoes. You'll always be the guy who "Found" it, just hope it gets a period correct restoration.

27. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I was just about to restore it to the magazine condition when I kept on reading. That is a tough decision to make but I'd say selling it to the owners son would be the right thing to do.

28. I would sell it to him definitely. There are other cars out there waiting to be found and saved. I do not think it is stupid for one moment to help a fella with his quest of 40 years to find and restore his fathers car. This car I would imagine means more then what he has in his garage currently. Hell I would sell it to him for what I bought it for also no more no less. Just good Karma in my book.-Weeks

29. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

I've got my dad's `32 roadster that he bought in 1958. He passed away 20 years ago and just today I took my 3 week old daughter on her first roadster ride. It's good to see someone that cares enough to put his dad's hot rod back in his hands.

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

if the son is going to do the "right" thing with it (and it seems like he will) i say sell it to him. it's a tough spot to be in for sure but, you'll be a better person for doing so and i think karma will return the favor.
    just tell him that if for whatever reason he sells it, you want first rights to it.