Register now to get rid of these ads!

Furry Headliners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

I would like to put a furry headliner in my 56 but not sure where to find the fur. I have tried a few fabric stores but the fur they have looks like shit. Anybody have and ideas where to find something decent?

Lets see your furry headliners !!!

2. Checksix!

Checksix!

Have you tried Mesa Sales on Main east of Gilbert?

Dave

3. Kerry67

Kerry67

Nope, tried a few fabric stores that my wife took me to. All they had was thin, cheap looking stuff.

4. Kerry67

Kerry67

5. the fur will be a temporary thing (for me) until i can afford a headliner. i was thinking of using some good double stick tape, but what have other people done to hold this stuff up?

Kerry67 how did you plan to go about this?

6. Kerry67

Kerry67

Well since I can't sew, I would probably find some upholstery guy to do it.

7. Checksix!

Checksix!

Mesa sales has EVERY kind of fabric, leather, whatever you need for upholtery including the monkey fur your looking for. I saw some in white and black two weeks ago when I bought blue metalflake vinyl for my forklift.

Dave

8. jonnycola

jonnycola

Try SAS... 1700 E Apache in Tempe. I remember them having a bunch of fur... and alot of fabric they sell by the pound. I used to go there alot when I went to school out there.

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im most prolly gonna do the same on my beater daily until i have the cash to turn it into a nice complete tuck n roll interior....
    I got it on e-gay anyway, pretty cheap, not the best quality, but considerin its a daily its gonna turn to gray in about a year,i got the white one, so no point in gettin the real nice one!

HOW DO YOU Stick it on the roof???????? Glue???? Ive heatrd spray glue, is it 4 real?
    Thanx, Nick.

10. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

No disprespect intended, serious question.

I recall some of my buddies having fake fur headliners in their muscle cars during the '70s.

Did this practice exist pre-1964 as well?

11. Kerry67

Kerry67

My brothers all had fur on the package tray in their muscle cars in the 70's. Not the headliner.

12. Diavolo

Diavolo

3M super 77.

Good tacky spray.

Won't last too long, but then again... you can always change colors!

13. That sounds like the bitchinest forklift ever!!!!!!:)

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

I thought it was called angel hair?

PM McPhail... he had some in his purple chevy!

15. McPhail

McPhail

I just used spray adhesive and put the top bows in under the fur....it hides the bows pretty good.......I just bought some to do the headliner in my 60.......

16. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Measure the distance between each roof bow. Pull them out. Draw lines on the back of the fabric. Lay the bows down. Attach bows with hog rings. Pop it back in. You'll have to pull the moldings and staple the fabric underneath. Should work fine.

FYI, this method will only look right with fur. I would not recommend it for any other material...

17. get some ind. duty velcro from the fabric store. i used some on a panel under the dash of my cuz's 50' chevy as trying to line up screws became a headache. it come with self-stick but i used hot glue (dollar store) to make sure it sticks.

18. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

weldwood adhesive works best with a $10 harbor freight paint gun

19. Kerry67

Kerry67

I can't imagine that adhesive works well out here in AZ. To freakin hot.....The heat would melt the adhesive and then you have that fuzzy shit falling on your head while you are cruzin down the road.

20. vertible59

vertible59

Best advice for gluing any upholstery material to anything (Contact Cement)...listen to the man.:)

21. off-beat

off-beat

Put insulation on the roof first, then glue the fur to that. That's what i've started to do in my car.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  22. if its temporary,,use the spray adhesive,,,
    if you wan it to last a while,,,the heavy duty glue would be better,,,,

oh and you'll probably have little bits of fur flying in your face for a little while anyway,,, the stuff usually sheds a little,,,,

xoxox
    hootch

23. Have done many car with that stuff over the years. Use the 3m super glue in the spray can as it's a stronger glue than reg uporstery glue if its going to be in the hot sun alot. We first glue some 3/8" foam padding to the roof and fill in any big holes or sharp edges with foam to smooth out the top. Now for the fun part :confused: you glue the angle hair to the foam. Make sure you have atleast one helper when you do this.

You can remove it at any time with the help of a heat gun.

GB & Thanks, Rick & Carol Erickson of EXK
    EXTREME KUSTOMS www.ericksonskustoms.com

24. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I love this shit.
    Lets see some pics.

25. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

E.E. Schenck has quite a selection of fur. They're one of our suppliers. I think they have a website, and the stuff hardly sheds at all. Ggood quality, affordable.

26. damnfingers

damnfingers

I'm gonna sic PETA on you........

27. yes and no,,,,If you use spray adhesive on just the surface it will be temporary,,if you spray both the backing and the surface it will be there for many years to come.HRP

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The 3 tone and the sparkle fur type are so nice that i might think of using one of the 2 as headliner fabric as a permanent solution! Thanx for the link CT Devil, you da man!

W/ a complete white tuck n roll interior and one of this furry fabrics as a headliner will prolly become a killer interior! Then i only need to paint the WHOLE car metalflake and i'll be king!:D....of what aint sure...:p

BS apart thanx, i really dig the stuff.