Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. allstarracing

allstarracing

My first wifes car at Fairgrounds Motor Speedway Louisville Ky.

[​IMG]

2. allstarracing

allstarracing

My car at the Fairgrounds same year

[​IMG]

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

you guys mentioned crosley races. anybody got any pics of those?

4. allstarracing

allstarracing

I built this car after the pink 56 got totaled. It was the first body off built car in the area. I was running a 351 Windsor nwith 180 degree custom built headers one of only a few sets ever built for a Ford. A couple of weeks later Ray Crane came out with a 2 door sedan done this way Sponsored by Yardstick Draperies with a Chevy motor. Next was Richie Bisig's 54 Ford with a Chevy motor. These cars stared the channeled bodied and set back motor era. We soon had a fairlane by Leonard Basham and a Falcon by Bobby Tarter Driven by Steve Brown.

[​IMG]

5. allstarracing

allstarracing

Qualifying the Mercury at the Fairgrounds Speedway Louisville ky.

[​IMG]

6. magnum79fan

magnum79fan

Ohhh Damn!! Am I posting this where I should?????

When it comes to posting and computers...I deserver a yellow back bumper!!!...Remember when they did this instead of the "just" yellow stripes like they do now!!??

So IF this is posted where it shouldn't be...anyway...my heart is in the right place!!! The first race I ever saw was the 1965 Daytona 500...I lived in Fla then and later moved to Charlotte where I was a "part-time-helper" for first Frank Warren and then Bobby Wawak.
    I've always LOVED the NASCAR "independants"...and since I found a 1979 Dodge magnum about1/8th mile from here...I (with ALOT of HELP from some race loving friends)...built a replica of Frank's 1978 Dodge magnum!!!

Rater than tell you guys more...here is the *link* to the story and pics of that car from when we took it to Darlington raceway last Labor Day weekend!!

After hearing about Bobby...I WANT to built a replica of his car next!!!

Check it out and if you LIKE this...please e-me at [email protected] IF you like it!!!

Also check out the other Mopar replicas at this site!!....

http://www.mopardealer.com/warren.htm

We still ahve some "neatening up" to do on this car...and will have it at some car shows here in West Mi...and on track with the "Michiana Vintage Racers" also!!

7. magnum79fan

magnum79fan

OHHHHHHHHHhh!! Want to add...this is probably the VERY B E S T vintage stock car pic thread I've EVER found on here!!!!...so an honor to post my pics her also!!

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

Homer french won the Championship at the Fairgrounds in 1976. I built this car for him that winter. He had driven my Mercury the last race of the season at the Sportsdrome and liked it so well he had me built this Falcon. I used a 56 Ford frame and shortened it to a 100" wheelbase. It had a 289" Ford motor with a roller cam. Opening day 1977 was a Sunday at the fairgrounds he set a new track record and swept the day.Went to the Sportsdrome the next Saturday set a new track record and swept that night. Back to the fairground the next Friday nigh swept the races again. To the Sportsdrome on saturday and swept again. Bill Hines eventually bought the car for Smokey Bishop to drive. He won some features and reset the track record twice with it. then Jerry the tech man at the Drome bought it and ran it a few years.

[​IMG]

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

Here is the Falcon sitting on the street beside my house ready for paint. The car had "FOWL-COON" lettered on the back. Joe Lord had just built a new 54 ford and couldn't run with it and got so mad he shortened it's wheel base to the same 100" lettered "COON HUNTER" on the trunk. Joes car was too top heavy for the short wheelbase and was never as fast.Joe was a very good driver and won several races at the Fairgrounds and Sportsdrome but technology marches on.

[​IMG]

10. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I love the front bumper on that car, It must have been pretty sturdy, 'cause I think I saw it on 3 different rebodys...
    is it a 58merc rear?

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

allstarracing, thanks for all the posts. Brings back a lot of memories. Yes, this is the same Johnny Potts who used to flag at the Fairgrounds, ARCA, ASA, and a lot of area tracks before I went to work for NHRA at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I'm sure I know you. And, of course, I'm still among the living although in a wheelchair and bigger than ever because I can't walk and exercise. But I'm helping to run Corbin Speedway and living in London, Ky. and enjoying myself by getting back to my roots on the short tracks. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

12. allstarracing

allstarracing

Yes it is and everyone around here scoured a three state area for them. We had a rule that said we had to use a stock type front bumper, no pipe or angle iron. I went to Nashville to get some when they became scarce here. Just about every car had one. We also used the 54 to 56 Mercury Fronts and some 59's but they were not a good as the 57-58 Mercs and required more work to use. Some guys started to use the 57-59 fronts when we ran out of the rears. The junkyards were happy because they could sell all of the fronts off of the cars they had sold the backs off of. You had to narrow the 57-59 bumpers 6" to get them to mount on the early Fords and Chevys

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  13. allstarracing

allstarracing

Cool: I will e-mail you soon and also will post some pictures of you with us at Charlestown after feature wins.Alstarracing

14. allstarracing

allstarracing

I went to El Cajon several times between 69 and 72. Raced there once. They had some wicked cars. Their A-Class cars were almost supermodifed stockcars. They would use 54-56 Ford, 55-57 Chevy and 53-57 Studebaker frames mostly. The engines were set back to about the middle of the car and I saw injected big block Fords, Chevys ,Hemis, pontiacs and small block Chevys. There was no induction rules. There were cars with 2/4s
    three and six deuces. Even one with eight one barrels. I though it was injected until I looked closer. There was also one car with a blower and 2X4's. The bodies were full sized FIBERGLASS lift off and tilt. The guys in Calif made fiberglass repica bodies so they would not have to hunt down the stock sheetmetal then have to cut it up. It was faster and cheaper.There were a couple of fiberglass studebakers. 15" wide tires were the norm. Some had wide fives but most ran Ansen style 15" wide aluminum 5 on 5 wheels. these cars were scary fast. I think the track record was in the fifteens way back then on a big" I think they called it a 3/8's for insurance purposes" mile track. Most of the cars were convertables
    The b-Class had to use a stock body and frame but could use any motor under 330 c.i. and I think had to have two barrel carbs. The Studebaker body with a 312 Ford was a favorite along with the 50's ford and Chevys. I also saw several Plymouths and early Pontiacs. There is a post #39 of the track on the second page of this thread. It must be a little earlier than 1969 because there wern't any coupes when I was there. These look like B-Class cars because of the narrower tires. Allstarracing.

15. allstarracing

allstarracing

A Metropolitan bodied car. Hmmmm different

16. allstarracing

allstarracing

My dad bought a brand new 66 Ford pickup from Hull-dobbs Ford. Dealership was located on the north side of Broadway between 11th and 12th. Its what I took my driving test in. Started racing that year also. Had to have a drivers license to race. Allstarracing

17. allstarracing

allstarracing

Al Stringer at the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome Ind. I sold hin this car after he totaled his 57 Ford. This is after I loaned Homer French the car for a season. This car won a bunch of races.

[​IMG]

18. allstarracing

allstarracing

I built this car for Al Stringer after the 56. He ran a 302 with a custom set of up and over headers that I built. Won a lot of races with it.This is the Sportsdrome

[​IMG]

19. allstarracing

allstarracing

I built this one for Al after he totaled the 67 Mustang. It has a 65 Ford frame and a 351 Windsor. He ran it until he died of cancer. won a few with it but his health was failing.This is Sportsdrome also.

[​IMG]

20. Ok stock car fans( or just circle track fans). I dont know much about vintage stock car or vintage circle racing but...... I know someone who is driving around a 56 cadillac that is soon to be turned into a quality custom and they are still running their blackwalls and it just gives a vintage nascar look to it. So here is what I need help on.... was there ever a old circle track cadillac racecar???? We are trying to give him a nickname since he is being so hard headed about those blackwalls. I dont think I have ever seen a old caddy as a circle track racecar but hey what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

21. allstarracing

allstarracing

Hey vintage stockcar lovers. I have for sale a large collection of Stockcar Racing Magizines. I have Issue #1-1966, most up to 1970 and all from 1971 until a year ago about 540 issues all in very good to excellent shape. I want $800.00 for the collection

I also have a complete collection of Circletrack magizine up to about 8 months ago. I want $500.00 for this collection.

I also have a complete collection of Open wheel Magizine that maybe for sale if the guy here locally doesn't take it.

The buyer would have to pick them up or pay for packaging and shipping.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] if interested. Allstarracing

22. hoosierheel

hoosierheel

I'm guessing Cecil Gordon

23. allstarracing

allstarracing

I know there were Cadillacs running in NASCAR up to about 1955. I have some old tapes showing them on dirt. I am not positive but one may have run at Darlington in 56. Allstarracing

24. ModelCarMan

ModelCarMan

Hey All Star Racing, those are some sharp race cars!!!:)

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

JeffSled, Bob Pronger, I believe, was running a Coupe DeVille in SAFE, which merged with NASCAR eventually, and I've seen another photo somewhere on another site of a Caddy in MARC, which of course became ARCA. I'll try to find it and post it.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

allstarracing, I remember those days when everybody was looking for Mercury bumpers.

JeffSled, here's the photo I mentioned. It's Mike Klapak...

[​IMG]

27. allstarracing

allstarracing

Wonder if this particular car could have been a promotional car? Its a hardtop with no roll bar and seems to have sun visors and a back seat. This looks like a 55 and by then they were taking the loose interior parts out and were removing the headlight bulbs and taillight lenses. Allstarracing

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

Here are some cars my present wife of twenty years Sherry Drove. She was a good dirt driver. Took a while for her to earn the mens respect but after she beat most of them and gave as good as she got they were fine. She also was the flag person at Thunder Raceway for a season and helped in the pitstand and with the wreckers at different times. This is her second car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  29. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is my wifes third car. Car was so good another driver bought it moved it up a class and won several races with it.

[​IMG]

30. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is my wifes last car

[​IMG]