Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cab's 1927 T Roadster Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, May 28, 2009.

1. Oh man...Stevie's gonna kick your ass.....

Looks good guys, I'll have to come up one of these days soon!

2. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Dave,
    Yea come up some time, it's only an hour and a half from where we live, if there's no traffic. I don't mind Scotty posting who's welds are who's, people know i've never picked up a welder and welded in my life. I'm a beginner, so i have nothing to prove here. Any welds that are getting ground down is nothing i'm too worried about at the moment and plus it's good practice for me:) I'll let the man with the experience take care of the visible ones that you'll see when the truck is finished! Thanks for the encouragement, this hot rod building stuff is pretty fun and i'm super stoked to be learning as i go along.

3. 63Compact

63Compact

This is gonna be a fun build, keep the posts coming.

4. Steve, why are you up at 4am? I just got in from work, so thats my excuse!

I'll certainly come along one day soon. And as for the welding...I'm saying nothing!!

5. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Kids and a prego wife are mine, excuse that is:)

6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

4am!!!????

Get your sleep!

Those welds may not win any beauty pageants....but they are strong!!! Please note: the other three welds on the fish plate ate stevies...look pretty good to me!!!

7. brainfrz

brainfrz

nice update. looks the hot rod class is in session up at Chuckles garage. Following this build closely.

8. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Hey Steve! The truck's gonna be great man. I can't wait to see 'er all done! Suffice it to say, I am a wee bit green with envy! Best of luck on the project!

9. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet Ive been waiting for this since you posted the body on the chapel..

10. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

stevie is an update slacker.......

11. hammered 29

hammered 29
    from cincinnati

cab,
    good luck on the truck i dig the set up. i just completed my first build. my friends seemed to get a kick out of calling me a "fing skateboarder" after my first welds, just keep at it and let them vent cause their jeolous. i've yet to see any of my hot rod buddies pick up skating as fast as i picked up welding.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  12. woodbox

woodbox

Good job Guys! Im gonna follow this one.

13. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

UPDATE #2
    Boxing the Frame

A little slow on updating this since it was from last week, but here it is. The boxing plates came from IONIA Hot Rod Shop and the frame was set up on the shop stools to make sure they fit correctly and to see what extra metal needed to be trimmed off before we started tacking them in with the welder. We started with the fronts.

[​IMG]

Marking them with a sharpie helped us know where to cut, grind and trim!

[​IMG]

Scotty brings out the trusty 'ol plasma cutter to get 'er done!

[​IMG]

We managed to move the frame onto the frame jig and while Scotty took the time to tack weld the front boxing plates in...

[​IMG]

I was busy striping our first Crossmembers trophy, built and painting by Scotty, to be given away the following weekend at the Strangers car show in San Jose:)

[​IMG]

After much grinding of metal for these to fit in nicely, I was able to get these spot welds into the rear on one side. Scotty will eventually fill that gap in where these can be used on a pre-notched frame.

[​IMG]

With both front and rear boxing plates tacked in on the top, we continued with the center plates as well.

[​IMG]

Here's one side almost finished.

[​IMG]

To get the bottom tack welds in and to make it much easier for Scotty, we lifted up the jig on it's side, my back sure didn't like this a couple of days later though:(

[​IMG]

After a long day in the extreme heat as i was slave driving Scotty to keep working (hey what can i say, i'm excitied to build this thing no matter how hot it gets in his shop) he wanted to to tack weld his tongue to the roof of his mouth:)

[​IMG]

ah, the finished frame, now to lay the full beads, grind them down, metal finish the frame, then weld in the rear and center crossmembers in on my next visit up there... i can't wait!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and following this thread, this is fun.
    cheers,
    cab

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  14. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

hahahaha. I deserve a medal for trying to keep up with Stevie....

[​IMG]

15. Looking good guys....

16. That is going to be a great li'l truck Steve. Do you have an art rendering of the final product you're working of of? You are a fortunate man.

17. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey are you guys coming up to Midnight Mass this weekend?

18. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Looking real good. Man deserves a cold one for all that welding.

19. cball

cball

Love the Ionia box plates, frame is going to look good

20. conceptz

conceptz
    from Australia

keep up the good work guys , i like what i see already , looks like this will be a killer ride when you have got it done :):D

21. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

How about a 65 BSA instead Stevie?

22. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

UPDATE #3
    Boxing plates and tacking in the crossmembers

Yesterday was a very productive day for Scotty and I at Chuckles Garage and it's hard to believe that this is only my 4th day working on this hot rod and it's coming along pretty sweet so far!

I recently picked up this pretty cool 1932 Chevy hood ornament ( been searching Ebay for one of these for awhile and one finally popped up) it's gonna look awesome on my grill.

[​IMG]

I was able to lay the top bead on both sides of the box plates, some of my welds were pretty sketchy, but they got better and better after the day went by. I also started feeling sick from all the gas fumes afterwhile:( I wasn't too worried about the look of the welds since i'll grind them all down and make them look purdy on my next visit.

[​IMG]

Now it was onto the rear crossmember, Had to clean it up a bit because of all the rust. we measured and marked where it had to be cut to fit. Scotty started the cut, then i finished it off with the cutting wheel, it looked like the fourth of July in his shop.

[​IMG]

After cleaning up the ends, Scotty took the level out to get the right angle for it to sit before he tacked it in, he's good like that!

[​IMG]

ah, it's starting to look like a complete frame. The rear's all tacked in and now onto the x-member which need to be cut at an angle then trimmed off at both ends.

[​IMG]

close up of the rear x-member side which holds the pedal assembly

[​IMG]

Scotty and i also took a bunch of measurements where the radiator would go, front engine mounts, cowl position and tranny mounts and that's how we came up with the positioning of where the middle X-member would sit. So after Scotty tacked that in as well, this is way the frame sits so far.

[​IMG]

A big thanks to the Hamb and everyone who's been following this thread so far. Plus for all your input, support and compliments, it's all very encouraging.
    Grace and peace†
    cab

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Guys...dont be fooled by Steve, he is a poser.

All those shots where he's "working" on the 27....PHOTOSHOP.

This is all he actually does at Chuckles Garage......

[​IMG]

hahahahah!

24. brainfrz

brainfrz

TOO Funny...love the frame and the updates...looking really good.

25. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Cab and Scotty, This is looking to be one cool roadster pickup when you get it finished. Like the combination of parts !

41 Dave

27. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

UPDATE #4
    more frame work and boxing plate metal finishing

Okay so i had high hopes of getting more work done on the frame, but i found out, that metal work and finishing is very time consuming and hard work, especially on my lower back... ouch:(

Scotty and i leaned the frame and jig on it's side so i could finish up the bottom welds on the boxing plates.

[​IMG]

after finishing the all the bottom welds, we layed it down because we forgot a few sections on the top that needed another bead.

[​IMG]

Now it was onto the next side, i had to take a small break though, welding fumes were making me dizzy:(

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of my welds (which were getting ground down anyways), getter better but not satisfied, need more practice!

[​IMG]

after i finally finished the other side of the frame, Scotty took the time to cut off the bottom tack welds to the frame jig as the frame will come off of it real soon. Look it's the fourth of july and the fireworks are in full form:)

[​IMG]

Scotty took over here because these welds on the center crossmember were not being ground down:)

[​IMG]

Now, this is what i'm shooting for and hopefully will be able to do someday with a welding gun, close -up shot.

[​IMG]

I went to Home Depot and bought myself my own angle grinder, now to break it in on my welds, starting from the rear and working my way to the front of the frame ( note, this took way longer than i could imagine, but i know the final results will be well worth the time put into it)

[​IMG]

The results and artsy-fartsy photo.

[​IMG]

Next it was onto the sander and Scotty tested out the 60 grit disc on a few tack welds left over from the braces he ground off previously.

[​IMG]

Another try at being creative with my point and shoot camera.

[​IMG]

So where i left off Scotty took the 60 grit sanding disc and began to massage the rear of the frame and it started to look good and take shape.

[​IMG]

From there he went to a 120 grit, then finished off the section with a green roloc ( similar to a small brillow pad) and Wow, the results were amazing and BEAUTIFUL!
    I think Scotty did this to get me excited about finishing the rest of grinding of the frame welds:)

[​IMG]

I can't wait to get the whole frame looking like this section, it's gonna be amazing!

I only lasted a few more hours then i had to call it quits and head back to San Jose. It was a long day, my back hurt, i was tired and i was hungry. Thanks once again to Mr. Birdsall from Chuckles Garage for the tips, lessons and all the help to get this frame completed before the next building steps of the hotrod. Until next week fellas... bye, bye!
    Grace and peace†
    cab

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  28. smith32

smith32
    BANNED

Dammmm Cab that frame is looking mighty sweet brother

29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Cab great to see the start of the new car, if there is anything from down here that you might want for the build let me know.