Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

Won't be at the York show this year but will be racing on Saturday and Sunday in Beaver Springs at the Nostalgia Nationals. ALL are welcome to join me in the pits, we'll be in the "Juniorstock" section of the pits with the yellow '57 and the red '55 wagon (Gypsy Wagon). Please stop by. Looking forward to meeting all you guys, love to discuss making some sort of jrstock racing program or something like that.

2. colesy

colesy

Looking for another positive ID or info. Anyone know the Cavanaugh's from the west? Photo is from 66/67.

Attached Files:

3. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I should know but I don't. I am sure Tony can help. Looks like Willard Wright driving.

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Just got back from a quick trip to Harrington, DE so I could look for a good Jr. Stock project. There were a few '55's & '56's around plus a few Sedan Deliveries. Here are two items I found for sale that would be a good start to a clean race package, just add a trailer and race drivetrain.

The Delivery can be had for $32,500 and the truck for $70K.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I love those old cabovers.

6. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

We saw this last week at the NHRR at Beech Bend. There wasn't anyone around whenever we went past but it was parked with some "real" race cars. I checked the list posted earlier and didn't find a name that fit. Anybody know if it's the real deal or a nice looking recreation?
    [​IMG]

7. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

This car was in the same class as the 57 hard top H/SA. I had to run there car for class at the 1967 Hot Rod meet, I lost. I had to run it again for class at 1968 Winternationals and won the round but lost the class final to John Barkley. The picture was taken at Lions and that is probably Willard Wright driving. I never saw the car after the 1969 season.

8. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Steve,
    I should be there Friday, mostly by Ronnie Evans' '62. I'm sure I'll walk around a bit but I hope to meet a lot of the people from this forum. Just look for a 6'6" guy with white hair and a Wildfire shirt!

Verne:)

9. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

10. Super Tom

Super Tom
    from cent. nj

I'll be there as usual for all the past one's, but on both days this year & I'm bringing a few others.

Great memories!

Tom Larson

11. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

This reply is about the day at Aquasco with the Old Reliable. Vernon Rowley was from my town (Balto.,MD) and has since passed-a few years back. At one time he had an old Sox & Martin car,but not that day. The car I am talking about -I beleive was the '65 Altered Wheelbase car. And to Skip Asay and the other stockers, does anybody remember the 1969 Olds W31 campaigned by Anderson Olds in Balto., MD and driven y Sonny Freeman in F/S? Anyway, I will have that car (un-restored) at the York U.S. 30 Reunion. Thanks, Dave.

12. Update on my max wedge wagon. It is now a mid 10 second ride without the groceries.
    Dom Rinaldi

13. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

DW31S....I remember Sonny Freeman driving your car at Capitol. I also remember him driving his 59 silver Chevy 348 Byscayne with a P/G. I also knew Vernon Rowley pretty good when I was an IHRA tech man and I had him torn down at Budds Creek (MIR) after a S/S win at an IHRA points race with a Red 64 Alum front end Hemi 4-speed Plymouth (SS/B). He passed tear down by the way....lol. Yes he owned (with Buckeye) several Sox & Martin cars like the AWB 65 and the 66 Cuda. I also remember him in a 1969 Street Hemi GTX convert. SS/E stick car in 1969. The day he was running Dave Strickler at Aquasco he was in an Alum front end 1963 Red Max Wedge Plymouth. I may be old but my mind and memory is still sharp..........LOL

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

that was 1988 , nice photos and a nice battle wagon , still in the fight , found it this morning

15. colesy

colesy

The history of Tony Janes' race cars, one classified at a time. :D This one is from Hot Rod Parts Illustrated, March 1966. Any stories behind this old Vicky Tony?

Attached Files:

16. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I had forgotten that I had ever try to sell the 56 Ford. I had lost my job in March of 1966, so I put the 56 up for sale. It never sold. I probably won almost half the trophies I have with that car in the late sixties. The engine blew up around 1970 at OCIR and I sold the car as a roller. I am enclosing a couple of pictures of the car plus a 1957 Ford 300 custom I has for a few years.

Attached Files:

17. I'll be there all day Saturday. `

18. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I dont think its because we are not brave enough.....Its more like we are to old and "computer stupid" to know how to post our picture....lol.

19. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Tech Man -- Any chance of you having some old photos of Sonny Freeman in the Anderson Olds W31? Glad to hear that you remembered. I will have the car at York, so if you are there please stop by! Great story about Vernon and yes his partner was Buckeye. There also was another Baltimorean to own a used Sox & Martin car--John Rayfert-- who still is running the 1965 GTO he bought new. Thanks, Dave.

20. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Tech Man- I forgot this but did you know that Sonny's silver '59 and a '59 Sedan Delivery were at some times a 409? They must have been the days nobody protested him! See Ya, Dave

21. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Sorry.....I dont have any photos of him or the car.

22. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

No...I wasnt aware of the 409's in Sonnys 59....LOL. I was aware of one that Little George Cureton might remember. This guy beat him at places like Delmar, Aquasco, Capitol, etc. It was a local name "Gentleman" John Rowley who drove a BLACK 2 door Biscayne that was supposed to be a 320 HP 348 with a 4 speed. It was always a 409....LOL. John passed away about 15 years or more ago after a long career in bracket racing.

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is one of me taken at Suffolk in 1970 and one from York in 2005. Other than being a little wider, I have not changed much.

BTW, the ticket that is in my shirt pocket is around here someplace.

Attached Files:

24. qwiked

qwiked

I remember Ernie's "Poncho" to be a 389 4bbl, and on occasion a 2bbl

25. qwiked

qwiked

The last time I saw the Mike Schmidt "Desert Motors" car it was an automatic and was being "beat on" by the Glazer Bros. of Enumclaw, WA (Div 6 WCS SIR 1975) -- At that time we were running a S/S 352 Galaxy that was .5 faster than the 427--Don't know if the Glazers still have the car or not.

26. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Gee Tom, you could be a size 65 and weight 900lbs and no one would notice with that lovely lady standing next to you!

27. colesy

colesy

Just when you thought you've seen every possible combination in Junior/Stock, along comes these two. :)
    The unknown Edsel is running J/Stock Automatic at the 1969 Bakersfield Smoker's Meet (13.81 @ 99.77) and the M/Stock 63 Willys Jeep won it's class at Indy 66. The Willys belonged to Ken Wilkerson of Muskegon Michigan.

Attached Files:

28. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Not only that but I recall that the "Big Ed" won that event. Never saw him before nor after that event.

29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Tom, you look great. Now, to more important matters; who's that hot chick standing next to ya? :D

Pete :)

30. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Pete, you reminded me of a race at Capitol back in the late 60's when the announcer told a story about Joe Jacono. Joe said his dream was to be walking in front of the stands at Indy with Ed Pink and Kieth Black while hearing someone yell out "Who are those guys with Joe?"