Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 galaxie 500 info???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellspawn, Jun 25, 2009.

1. hellspawn

hellspawn
    from Wayne Pa

is there something odd about the galaxie 500 in 1962? I can't really find any solid info on that year...well not as much as the other years. I am thinknig about picking up a 62 galaxie 500 with a 352 in it...is this a bad idea? do they have decent performance?

also, how hard is it to drop in either a 390 or 460 engine?

2. Nothing odd about them, just not as popular. They are basically the same car as 63 and 64, just different looks. Chassis, engine, etc is the same.

Performance is the same too with similar engines. A 390 or 406 will go right in place of a 352. Same engine family.

They are good cars that can be had at the lower end of the price spectrum as far as Galaxies go.

Oh I re read and see 460 not 406... A bit more work to fit one in but its possible. Totally different engine/ trans from the FE 390 series.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  3. They're cool. The only thing about a '62 is the formal roofline. You cannot get a sportsroof/ hardtop, so they have a certain look to them. But they definitely can be cool. There's one here that is white with a red-flake top. Looks killer.

A 390 would bolt directly in.The 460? I'm sure there are some experts around here...

4. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Here's mine i recently reacquired, and i love it!! Definitely not as popular as the 63' 64'....that's why i like it, different!!

[​IMG]

5. hellspawn

hellspawn
    from Wayne Pa

that thing is really nice Ian...is that grill from a chrysler?
    how did you lower that? air?

6. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I'm not even into customs and low-riders (except for respect... I can't do that shit.), but I like that 62 there. That color is what does it, thats what gets my eye first. Different in a very good way!

7. vertible59

vertible59

'62 Galaxie is closer to the '61s in looks, but basically the same underpinnings as '60-'64 models. The '62 352 is a basic grocery getter powerplant, but most all the good stuff from the hi-po FE engines will bolt on. The 405hp 406cid FE was the top performance engine in '62 and it was the first year for a factory 4-speed.
    If you are looking for a good dependable cruizer, the 352 will serve you well. It won't win many drag reces or gas milage championships, but they are tough and dependable engines. If you buy the car, check the rear end ratio. Many of them came with 2:79 gears that in mho, hurt both performance and fuel economy. I think the ratio should be at least 3:00 to move that big car around.
    '62 was also the first year for the 500XL option. The XL interiors looked like full custom upholstery jobs, to me, and will work in any '60-'64 big Ford. There were even some 4-dr Galaxie 500XL cars built.
    If you search the net, you can find some fine examples of these clean looking, well designed cars. They also had some NASCAR success, and Phil Bonner's Georgia Shaker '62 Galaxie put the competition on the trailer with regularity, at our local strip, way back then.
    Just some of my 2c about the '62 Galaxies. My mom had one that was a chestnut color with matching interior. I would dearly love to have that car today.

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Hellspawn!! the grille is just a bunch of bullets you find at swap meets. The car is on bags but i'm gonna redo the whole thing once i get me 51' on the road.

Thanx man!!

Rear shot. courtesy of Los boulverados C.C. website.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  9. deuceniner

deuceniner

I know in my 63 the 352 had a different bolt pattern for the bellhousing than the 390. I believe the passenger car 352 had a bolt pattern all its own for some reason. Other than that the 390 and such should bolt in no problem. My pops has a 62 500 XL with a stock 390 and it runds good and strong. Pretty easy to find parts but not as easy as a 63-64. Good luck and those are damn good lookin cars!

10. Meyer

Meyer

Good info, my kid wants a Galaxie.

11. On the classified's here on the Hamb, there is one for sale at good deal in Edmond Ok.

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

My dads first "New" Car in 1962 when he was 21 was a 62 Galaxie 500.I like em!

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

'63-1/2 is my favorite Galaxie, but I still like '62s also!....

[​IMG]

Malcolm

14. luciomduran

luciomduran

My first car was a 1962 Galaxie 500XL. I drove that thing like crazy and even though it's been sitting for quite some time, that 390 starts right up. I love that car and it would take a lot for me to part with it. If you like the look, i think you would be happy with a 62.

15. Every 332, 352 ,390 ,360. 406.428.410.427 that i have ever owned or seen had the exact same bellhousing pattern. even the truck 330,361,391<s have the same bell housing pattern. 292,s and 289,s are different though. OldWolf

16. this may be blasphemy, but i still think the 2 door hartop looks better than the 63 fastback. the only problem you will run in to is there is some one year only stuff on the 62's, nothing major, but different.

17. BigRed390

BigRed390

I've got a 2 dr hardtop. 390, leak-o-matic auto, 3.00 rear end. It smokes, it leaks, it drinks like an old homeless guy, etc. etc. I got momentarily sidetracked (how's 14 months for sidetracked? :eek:) playing in a band and didn't touch it for the entire time (I know. Shame on me.) Came back to it recently and it fired on the first try after i pulled the coil wire and spun it over to throw some oil around. Smoked a bit, idled high for 30 seconds, then settled down after a good rev and it's doing great. I can't recommend one highly enough. Definitely not a belly-button car, which is a good thing in my book!

I'll see if i can't manage to post a pic for you when i get home from this damned office job......

18. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I think they switched starters somewhere around that time... Might have something to do with the bolt pattern? (mine started it's life as a D4 motor, so I don't really know the details).

19. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

20. My first ride was in a 62 xl convertible , and now 43 years later i am still fe powered

21. nailz

nailz
    from San Diego

62's rule! Actually i really like the 64 fastback roofline, but as far as 62's go...Ian's is the sh$t! Mines an original 352, not fast but reliable and chicks dig it!
    [​IMG]

22. kustombypook

kustombypook

My fiance has a 4 door. It has the 352. She got it in February, and she loves it. All original, one owner garage kept when we bought it. It is chestnut brown with the matching interior.

Attached Files:

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Nice interior! :)

[​IMG]

24. vertible59

vertible59

25. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

The roof line is what makes them such different cars IMO. I think the earlier ones look better as mild customs, those have been the ones I've really liked. Now, take a 64 fastback, and it looks best sittin' higher with a nice tilt looking much more "racey". Just different styles, and some do certain things better than others. Course you could always take a Country Squire and slap a 427-4 speed in 'er. That'd be quite the stereo-type breaker!

26. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

'62 Galaxies are one of my favorite Fords, and that's a pretty short list. They look tough when they're done up early-Super/Stock style! I'll take mine in a cheapie two-door post sedan.

27. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

Get the Ford Engine Parts Interchange book. There is a lot of info on the FE series.

28. I'll second that. Plain Galaxie post sedan, 406/405, four-speed, 4:11s equa-loc, radio/heater delete; tough to beat.Had one back in the day and numerous FEs since

29. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey bro!! I'm not kidding when i say this, I actually much prefer your 62' than mine!! I love the convertible man and yours is beyond classy!! Thanx for the compliment though!!

Ian

30. cgboylan

cgboylan
    from pa.