Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a good quality, inexpensive 45 degree thermostat housing for SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dandingo, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Dandingo

Dandingo

I picked one of these up from, uhhh, Kragen :eek: and the thing leaks like a faucet, even with sealant. I know, I know. Shoulda just gone quality in the first place. The point is, I didn't.

I found this one on Summit...

http://summitracing.com/parts/AFC-80312-45/

I'm looking for something in that price range or less that'll get the job done. The only thing is that thing's pretty ugly. Anyone have a lead on a decent, inexpensive one? Thanks!

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Can't go wrong with a cast iron outlet. I bought mine at AutoZone for $10.Brand name is Factory Air and the part # is: 84820. Fit perfectly and no leaks. Hope that'll help ya' out.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

Thank you for that info! It never occured to me that I could pick one up at AutoZone. (I have the same problem with a perpetually leaking cheapy chrome one.)

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

or you could run your chrome one on a belt sander to scuff the surface. Then use Right Stuff on the gasket. Let dry overnight.

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

Sounds like a good idea, but the cheap P.O.S. tends to leak around the hose, too. I keep meaning to replace it but forget about it until the next time I notice it leaking.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have a new cheapo chrome one that's 45 degrees, has an O-ring but doesn't swivel like the one from Summit. Came in a box of crap I bought. Brand new, never installed. Actually looks pretty good.
    You can have it for free. Contact me & I'll mail it to U.

7. Noname38

Noname38

I second that. I had the same problem with the cheap chrome water outlet and switched over to the cast iron one and never had a problem since.

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Local circle track stores carry a diecast GM housing that's all of $3.80. Has to be the cheapest part in the GM lineup.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I like to buy the iron ones, or use an original one, and have it chromed.

10. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks for all the help, guys. I called my local 'hot rod shop' and they said they have a good one for $20. It's right down the street from Auto Zone so I'll stop by there as well and see if they have a cast iron one.

Take my advice and get a decent one the first time around. The engine looked bitchin' when we got it in. Now it looks like it's 10 years old because of all the coolant that's splattered on it. Time and money wasted on an $8 part!

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im late look into chevy van 87 , Aluminum and you can polish