Register now to get rid of these ads!

roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerry7702, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

can one of you please tell me the last year of the ford roadster. i say 36 but a abuddy of mine said later.

2. Fogger

Fogger

'37 was the last year Ford made roadsters and phaetons, cars with folding tops and no roll up door windows. The FOGGER

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

ford made a roadster in 37 ,but in low production numbers.it had no roll up windows,but had a windshield surround like a cabriolet.the last true roadster was 36 with chrome removable windshield posts.the la roadsters will only accept up to 36 ford roadsters because of that reason.

hope this helps.

-danny

4. Fogger

Fogger

Danny, I have a number of friends in the LA Roadsters and often ask them about their members that own Cabriolets, '36 and earlier. I have also asked them why '37s are not allowed for members. Never gotten a good explanation. O well it's just the way it is. Always enjoy your posts and the great builds from your shop. The FOGGER

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here's a '37 roadster. As you can see, it looks just like a cabriolet except for the lack of side windows. I guess the owner puts the side curtains in on a sunny day just to make clear that it's a roadster!

Attached Files:

6. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

thanks guys .hate when my buddy is always right. i thought i had him

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The '37 was a pretty ragged attempt at a roadster...they just left out the windows and put simple steel caps over the slot. I think top irons were special and there were plentiful snaps and such to complete the rig. Think of it as just a convertible with extra leaks installed by factory...no visual impact at all as a roadster.
    LA Roadsters are of course early model rodders. I think amongst older rodders, '37 is definitely over the fence, not really an early V8 at all. '35-6 are almost out there, but do have a bunch of early model cues still.

8. We (ford) made roadsters here in Australia until 1939- the removability of the screen and posts was a point of contention with as to wether a car was roadster or not is as i understand it-cheers grant

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Ford made a roadster other than in 1932?:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::D:D

I've heard of something called miracles but if this is true it's got to be one of the best kept secrets in all autodom. Did anyone tell the magazines? Can you imagine the impact this will make on the hobby?;)

Frank

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's another friend from the LAR club, just to clear up the thread, YES, the last FORD ROADSTER was mfg. in 1937, Roadster meaning removable windshield, no rollup windows & removable top.
    As far as the LAR clubs rules, 1937 & earlier is the answer. Reason no 1937's,---they have never been as desireable as 1936 & earlier, in our opinion of course. hope this clears up the question.-----------Don:D:D

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See my answer to "FOGGER"----IT explains it all----This pix of the black 1937 is definately a "CONVERTIBLE"----Fixed windshield & rollup windows!!----------Don:D:D

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sorry, Don, you're mistaken. The '36 was clearly the last roadster with a removeable windshield, so your definition is correct, but the '37 roadster had a fixed windshield like a convertible/cabriolet. Note the side curtains on the car in the picture; it has no rollup windows and is therefore a roadster (without a removeable windshield).

If I had ever seen a '37 with a factory-built removeable windshield, I could agree with your point of view, but I have never seen such a car and I don't believe that any were ever built by Ford.

13. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

14. Weasel

Weasel

U.S. myopia rules again...:rolleyes:

Stroked36 is absolutely correct that Ford built roadsters (side curtains) right through 1939 at Geelong.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The debate here has clearly focused on the US-produced cars, and I understand that some quite different vehicles were produced in OZ. Were the '37-39 Australian roadsters produced with removeable windshields, or were they similar to the US-produced 37s with fixed windshields?

16. flatoz

flatoz

To paraphrase Frank ( Fab32)

Theres somewhere else besides the USA!!?!?! Has anyone told the president!
    Whats that going to do for our world series (insert here)...:D

Of course if an Aussie 39 made it to the US of A it would be called a phantom, no one would believe it.

17. flatoz

flatoz

50Fraud,

their just as ugly as the 37's.

18. 63Compact

63Compact

Australia had convertibles and Roadsters in 39 for sure not sure about 40.

19. Yep Australia built 'roadsters' to '39, but I don't count them as such because they have fixed winshield framing like a convert. It's a poor mans convertible. Of course I didn't write the Ford model lineup book, so they disagree with me!

And re. the LA Roadsters, the '36 was also the last year for separate headlights

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The last US roadsters by Ford were offered in 1937.
    The last US phaeton by Ford was offered in 1938.
    Both were modified cabriolet/convertible sedans with door caps over the window slots.

21. How many '36 Roadsters were made, (in the US), ? I'm trying to look it up and am getting conflicting numbers, imagine that.........

Johnnie.

22. How many Roadsters in '36 ??

Not trying to completely hi-jack this thread...but I want to know. Had always been under the impression that there were less than Two-thousand '36 Roadsters built inthe US. 1800 and change was what I have always said. Cannot remeber where that came from.

Now when trying to research it, I came up with the numbers 3862 and 3254. These sources however, differed 138,778 in their total production figures so don't credit either with being accurate.

Can anybody shed some light on this, and name their reference, as we might need to refer to it in the future for some other numbers.

Thanks, Johnnie.