Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why use a Maverick Rear End in a Ford Shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bagged51ford, Jun 19, 2009.

1. bagged51ford

bagged51ford
    from San Jose

I know alot of people recomend Maverick rear ends for Ford Shoeboxes.

I am cusrious if anyone knows why other then they fit directly on.

Are they better stronger rear ends compared to what the stock rear ends are?

I apreciate any and all replies.

2. SLCHC-CHIEF

SLCHC-CHIEF
    from S.L.U.T

stronger by far! and more reliable.

3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

its all about how wide it is ...58 in.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Plus they have a wider selection of gear ratios ... available. Most are 2.79 ... but Ford did offer a 3.00, a 3.40, a 3.50 a 3.55 and the almost rare 3.80

:D

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Actually ... they are 56 inches wide :)

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

ya that too...ha ha

7. bagged51ford

bagged51ford
    from San Jose

I apreciate all your replies.

That actually helps me out very much.

8. When ford widened the mustang platform two inches for big blocks they left Maveric and its sister merc alone,they are the same as early mustang.

9. besides being stronger and having a much larger gear ratio selection, you can also get some lockers for the 8". I'm running an Auburn limited slip in mine with some 4.11 gears.

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It's the easiest rear end swap you can do . Fits and is a good strong rear !

11. shoebox50

shoebox50

Pretty much drop it in and go . Simple swap

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I switched because I wanted more reliability(can't hurt) but really I wanted the 3.0 gears on mine and a hamber gave me a killer deal on it. Also I wanted to put discs on the rear, really just because I thought it sounded fun.

Also I can switch to a 2.79 easily if I need to.

I'm old and want to drive it cross country, I prefer it to be revving less.

13. vertible59

vertible59

REMINDER...The 8 inch is found only in V-8 Mavericks and Comets. Most probably know, but maybe this will help someone who doesn't.

14. mikes51

mikes51

An original rear end/axles/ could have gone through some tough times over a period of 60 years. Crashes, driven over rocks, guard rails, probably things we can't even imagine with the conditions of the roads in the '50's.

I had to replace all the wheel studs on my /51 Merc rear end because someone drove it with lug nuts loose. There were grooves worn into the studs from the wheel rattling around the stud. Yes, the wheel holes were not round anymore.

Another advantage of the modern rear end if you have lowering blocks, is you have automatic adjusting brake shoes. Try to get a brake adjuster into your stock backplate with that 3" lowering block right in front of it.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Not the total truth ... :)
    Some of the Mavericks and Comets came with the optional 250 CI six cylinder and those ALSO had the 5 lug rear ends.

True ... True ...
    My best friend had a new one ( 250 ci six ) with the 5 lug wheels.

16. Alfster

Alfster

I had a Maverick rear in a '38 Sedan with a supercharged 327 sbc and Turbo 350 auto. I gave that thing a real hard time and it always came back for more. Good swap. Right width and plenty strong enough. Just don't run too much rubber.

17. will a maverick rear fit in a 53 ford as well?

18. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I have used a early mustang rear and it fit perfectly!

19. Just so you know, in case you are ordering one on the phone from a yard or an ad in the paper...

The earliest Mavericks were drum brake all around and 4 lug. Late 69-71 I think? I had a 71 V8 car with 5 lug rear and drum front.

If you are buying a parts car find one with disc front, as that is pretty much Granada. No help to the shoebox (I think), but easily sold to 60's Ford guys for 2-300 bucks.

Most guys like them because they fit and parts are easily available.

And they made 69 Mavericks and Comets, sold as 70's.

20. cafekid

cafekid

in adition to what everyone has said, and to expand the weak link on the stock shoebox rear is the pinion yoke,,,,,, it is weak dont know why but they are i know a bunch of grey beards that told me that even back in the day when they were kids (late50s/60s) the pinion yokes would break with the stock flattys. i personally have had the one in mine come unglued and it wasnt pretty.

21. cafekid

cafekid

nah now jaamco makes a tubular control arm set up for the shoebox and it uses the granada front knuckle... theyre pretty trick i think i might be getting a set for mine

22. Cool.. I'll tell you, I learn something new everyday on here..

23. I ran one on My 54 Merc, should work for You.

24. metalman

metalman

I believe that all Mavericks and Comets had 5 lug 8" rear regardless of motor begining in 1973, 71/72 V-8 cars only, 69/70 all were 4 lug.