Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you put trans in reverse or is this just an old wives tale??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chubbie, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 61bone

61bone

I've heard it depends on which way the car is facing on the hill. If you car is facing uphill use first gear, and reverse if facing down hill.

That is just backwards. It's reverse uphill and first down. That is so the engine turns into compression instead of away when the car moves. Once it goes past comp on one cylinder it will merrily jerk it's way along. That is the point of turning the wheels so it rolls into the curb.

2. Like I said, the car/hill doesn't know direction. There's no "encouraging" as you put it in my opinion. In reverse, the ratio is almost like "granny" 1st gear on an implement 4-speed work trans. Lots of leverage to move the car. Which equates to a lot of needed leverage to move the motor against it's compression, which will just be the "power" stroke of the 4 strokes, in reverse (compression should be about the same regardless which way you try and turn the motor). Maybe with a huge race oriented cam the timing may change those forces in the reverse mode. But, that'd be a whole other story. That's MY opinion, and I've been wrong too. Here's another thing to consider. A tired motor........eventually compression will bleed past the rings, and the car will move anyway, given enough time in that position

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. 69fury

69fury

Nope. If it's pointed up hill, the car will want to roll backwards, therefore i'd put it in first, because i know that my engine will not run spinning backwards (although i drove Mack trucks that would). The powerstroke becomes the compression stroke when you turn the mill backwards, and since it's drawing air only through the exhaust, it wont start running backwards. It will still spin without firing backwards though, depending on the ratio, so put the wheels against the curb anyway.

4. Ice man

Ice man

I have a 68 Chevy axle under my 29 Pk Up so I have (modern brakes) The emergency holds going forward. It will drag the wheels and not turn, but back ward they are the pits. So I park it in low, and that does it. No amout of adjustment seem to fix this one. Ice man

5. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

I'm as lost as you are, I always thought the "R" was for "race"!

6. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

My friend stopped over one saturday and parked his S-10 at the top of my driveway in 1st gear.He came inside and then we hear a big crash outside (like 30 seconds after he came in).His truck came down the driveway and hit the front corner of the garage and came out the side.It was still in first gear.He started using reverse and turning the wheels just to be safe now when he stops over...Steve