Register now to get rid of these ads!

What about a s10 (4 speed)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Jun 24, 2009.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I have a chance to buy a early 80s s10 with a factory 4 speed behind a 2.5.
    I havent looked underneath it at the trans yet and Im really not sure I would know what I was looking at if I did, so here goes.
    Are these comparable to the t5 or are they something diffrent?
    stronger? weaker?

I would like to have it in my 55 chevy if it will work and hold up behind a v8, but that is a diffrent question.

2. if I remember right, those had a pretty steep first gear to help out that anemic TECH4- but the jump from 1-2 was ridiculous. Almost like a granny gear.

I bet it's a Turd-O-Matic.
    lol--but I'm using a saginaw 3 sp in my '58- so i can't really say anything I guess

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

It's essentially the same as a T5 but without the overdrive 5th. Same lack of strength issue. If you just want a 4 speed with 1:1 4th gear, there are much better choices that are stronger and easier to install.

Bob

4. 4cfed

4cfed
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

ran a s10 4 speed in a s10 powered buy a 305, headers, sir gap intake 600 carb, small cam, held up just fine, and smoked the tires for days

if i remeber right you need the bell housing orr a 305/ 350 2wd chevy/ gmx truck, along with flywheel, clutch and pressure plate

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thanks guys, I think I will pass on it.

6. Snarl

Snarl

If it has an integral bellhousing, it's actually an Isuzu 4spd and not what you are looking for.

Separate bell means it's a T4. Similar to the T5, but I wouldn't bother with it.

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If it is going behind a V8 you would be better off with one from a full size truck or a s10 with a 4.3

8. bobscogin

bobscogin

Full size trucks and S10 with 4.3L V6 used NV3500, not T5. The 4.3L V6 in Astro Vans used a T5, but it had a Ford mounting pattern.

Bob

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What about a 3/4 ton 84 chevy 4x4 with a 5 speed? will it have a bulldog type tranny or just regular first gear? (found one in the paper thats going to be sold at a auction saturday)

10. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If I read it right he wants something to hold up behind a V8, that is why I suggested the other trans.

11. bobscogin

bobscogin

Got it. Thought you were referring to the T5. The Getrag/NV boxes are stronger than the T5. Whether are not any of the truck transmissions would be suitable for use in a '55 Chevy is a matter of taste, but I don't think I'd do it.

Bob