Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 coupe, 40 sedan, which one do i keep??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex Yohnk, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Good points.........another factor playing into this is that I feel the more traditional of the two would be the '40.....done in a mid to late '50's mild hot rod vibe with a decent amount of rake and no hood.

or in other words this:

Attached Files:

2. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

I could make you a sweet deal on a coupe.......

3. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Hard to beat a forty

Attached Files:

4. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

5. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

dang.

6. I could not disagree more. to me those sedan are almost perfect, drop the nose and your done. Of course a little cleanig up , removing some of the trim and new paint are always cool, but not nessisary. '46 coupes are nice but hard to beat any '40 Ford... hot rod, custom, restored, raced, they work in any style...

7. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

yup.....it's the sedan. There's something about the sedan that's calling me. Maybe it's the fact that it's a pre-war car. Or maybe because it's complete. Or maybe the day dreams of it hauling the family and then being a push car at the strip.

8. BigBal agree with you,keep the coupe!

9. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

I would still go with the 40 myself but seeing how I posted some 40's I should post a 46 so here goes.

[​IMG]

10. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Yea....but........DANG!!!!

11. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

If mine was a business coupe like this one.....i'd keep the coupe, but it's the "long door" super deluxe coupe, which isn't as "hot rod" as the bus. coupe.

12. bigbal

bigbal

Here is my rebuttal... Sorry about the dork standing in front of the car blocking the nice view.

Attached Files:

13. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

that's a good looking coupe.

14. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

I think your making the right choice I just had to throw in a 46 pic.
    I have a 34 3 window sitting next to the 39 sedan im building right now and everybody always ask me why im working on a 39 when I have the 34 sitting there.I tell them I really want to finish the 34 but I have 2 young kids and would like to take them with me and the wife to the shows as my parents did with me when I was a kid.
    When the 39 is on the road then I will finish the 34.If you dont plan on having kids or do not have kids thats one thing but when you have kids you need to have something that the whole family can enjoy.

15. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Yup...I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old, so the sedan will be nice.

16. bigbal

bigbal

Thanks rustbelt. I have owned both a '40 sedan and a '48 coupe, both had straight axles and the '48 drove and rode so much nicer.

17. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

why would there be a difference? Looking at the suspensions, they appear to be the same, besides the wishbones.

18. bigbal

bigbal

For rustbelt:
    The '48 was a heavier car and most likely better spring and shock selection.

19. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

The suspension is about the same on both other than the bones as rustbelt said.Did you have tube shocks on both and did they both have the same drop?Did they both have the wishbones split?
    Not trying to sound like a prick but just wondering what the diff were in the suspension setup.That could be the diff also did they both have the same engine (sbc,flat,etc....)the weight diff could have made a difference.

20. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

keep the 46 only choice i see

21. bigbal

bigbal

The suspension is about the same on both other than the bones as rustbelt said.Did you have tube shocks on both and did they both have the same drop?Did they both have the wishbones split?
    Not trying to sound like a prick but just wondering what the diff were in the suspension setup.That could be the diff also did they both have the same engine (sbc,flat,etc....)the weight diff could have made a difference.

Both had the same SBC and 4" dropped axle. The '40 I used a stock spring up front with a reversed eye main leaf and junk yard springs in the rear. The '48 had all matched Chassis Eng. parts. Sorry about hijacking this thread.<!-- / message -->

22. Kinda like choosing between the blond or the brunette. Which one is better in the long run?

If it was me I would definitely go with the sedan. It's a 40! Also the wife will love you for thinking about her AND the kids.

23. chopz56

chopz56

I got my family cruiser,and now i would love to build a coupe!Keep both if you can somehow work it out!Maybe storage?

24. TexasDart

TexasDart

I'd put the 40 nose on the coupe...:) Maybe the rear fenders would fit too.

Yep I'd want the coupe. But you really can't lose either way. Maybe fix the coupe up a little more and you can sell it for good money to fix the sedan.

25. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

i've tried that before........

26. LWaite

LWaite
    from Utah

:DPreach on

27. snelson57

snelson57

I never realized that there was 2 versions of a Ford coupe in 46-48. The business coupe was option was very obvious by 49.....I guess I still learn something every day.

BTW - I cant stop thinking about that "It's bad ya know" green 39 sedan that you referenced above. That car is so right....

Good luck.

28. 4tford

4tford

40 sedan

Attached Files:

29. RodStRace

RodStRace

Tel 'em you are learning your skills on the 39, and by the time you get to the 34, it will perfect! :D