Register now to get rid of these ads!

12V conversion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milkmankael, Jun 23, 2009.

1. milkmankael

milkmankael

I have a 52 Chevy that I just picked up. I'm in the process of converting to 12 volts. All of the 6V lights did work (even when using a 12V battery). Replaced all light bulbs except clock and license lamp (because I got distracted). Other than those 2 bulbs, I only need to intall resistors for the gas gauge and heater fan to complete the conversion. Tonight I started the car using a 12V battery and attempted to test the lights. The only lights that now work are the 2 that I forgot to replace.

Did I screw something up? I can understand 1 or 2 NEW bulbs not working, but not all of them.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Kael

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

maybe you got the wrong bulbs and they are not making contact in the socket... Did you mess with the wiring at all? maybe clean the contacts in the sockets with an emery board or paper or something? they get really corroded

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Make sure your sockets are clean and have a good ground. Sometimes they require a little tweeking to work. Do you have a multimeter? Is there 12v to the bulbs?

4. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

what happens sometimes when you replace bulbs in old sockets, when you push in to turn the bulb you push the contacts in and they don't spring back out, this is a lot of sockets for this to happen to but stranger things have happened, disconnet the battery
    and spray some WD-40 in the socket and push it in and out to loosen it up

5. milkmankael

milkmankael

I'll go back and check each socket including the headlights which aren't spring loaded. The only wiring changes I made were adding a ballast resistor for the coil and moving the battery wire from the voltage regulater to the battery terminal on the internally regulated alternator. I also added a 12V flasher unit in place of the 6V one.

6. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

ya your right about the headlights didn't think about that, you took the wire from the voltage regulator to the terminal on the battery i know on my 54 the power for the car come off the batt. side of the regulator, if you took the batt. wire off the regulator and went to the alt. did you put power back to the car?? maybe?

7. milkmankael

milkmankael

If the batt wire was the problem, why would a couple of lights work? Also if that was the problem I shouldn't be able to start the car either, correct?

8. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

You da Man!!!! Test light will go a long way......did you put your fuses in ???? Got any fuses???? Turn on the lights and start chasing sparks!!!!
    Take your time.......sometimes those dawm bulbs don't want to seat........