Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the stupidest thing you let pass through your hands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DMC

DMC
    from SC

A 1962 Chevy Bel Air Bubble top for $200 about 20 years ago, a 1965 Chevelle SS 327 13 years ago and a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 door HT 13 years ago. Ok, I'm depressed now...:cool:

2. I sold my 1967 Mustang Fastback with a 390, three speed, deluxe interior, and tinted factory windows for $500.00. A customized 1969 Mustang fastback for $200.00. A kit car that was called a Kelly with a 392 Hemi, it went to the junkyard, because my Dad was tired of it sitting in his garage after I got married and living in an apartment.
    George

3. dudley32

dudley32

36 Ford 5 window...flathead..Halibrand Quick Change...

4. A couple of years back there was a straight model "A" frame at the recycling center, and four 32 ford 3 window bodies for $300 at an auto swap. Friend and I were drooling, but couldn't figure out where to put them.

5. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

Not a car....mint .455 Webley went for $65 at auction.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Had a 66 Lemans Mint interior Fucked up on bodywork.Grinded it with a carbide blade. Cut for gto lights.Back brackets were different.Didn't know enough and to stupid to know better.Was heavy into drugs at the time.Cut car up with sawzall.I was tired of working on it. Now im a professional backyard bodyman.Slash painter. I want my first car back. But you can't go back Did I mention it was a rust free car except for small patch in trunk area about the size of a quarter.Never drove the car legaly on the road.Paid 700 for car. Had buckets console in black Dash wasn't cracked.Stupidity let that one slip by. Wow hamb therapy helps.... I feel Better

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  7. James427

James427
    BANNED

Was the Mustang green???

8. I missed out on a clean 1969 trans am, console shift, white buckets, purple fun fur on the dash, cragars, air shocks, gillette bias plys, etc. - $2000 in 1985 (could have had it for $1800). It was owned by a friends older brother who ran out of cash while away at an expensive California college. I had the cash, my dad said "I'll be damned if I'm going to let you get a 4th car" while you are living in my house, I guess he wanted to park in his own driveway! It only lasted 4 days before it was sold! I should have bought the car and moved out!

s.

9. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

In about 1964, I traded in a 59 Vette for a new Corvair.....I WIN!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

A Maserati A6GCS aluminum bodied sports/racer that was outside in a Kansas hail storm for $1,500. A Type 37 Bugatti GP car less bodywork for $15,000 (25 years ago, and would have taken a bank loan to buy). The 1911 Hupmobile was the real lesson though. Friend bought it from the original family, still has a 1923 license plate on it. He wanted $5,000 for it, I went home and started selling stiff. When I had $2,500. I went back to make a down payment, but he had sold it. Years later I told him that story, and it bothered him that I never said anything before, he would have worked out a deal had he known at the start that I wanted the car. So next time you see something and you are low on funds say something to the seller, time payments, labor swaps whatever, say something if it is something you really want.

11. long island vic

long island vic

69 black on black hemi four speed road runner paid 800 sold it for 2500.00 its only worth about a half mill

12. lets see most of it is not car related. first off all of the led zeppelin records i sold when i needed money, my four track digital recorder, my mpc 1000 beat machine, my sad clown bad dubs 2-8 all orignial and all signed(a really rare underground hip hop cd collection) worth easily 800 and i sold it for 200, all the black sabbath records i sold. argh now im depressed

13. Jupiter Zone

Jupiter Zone

I bought a house and a little bit of land in eastern Washington in the mid 70's. On the property was a for real 1963 409 SS Impala 2 door hard top. The car was clean as a pin, no paint scratches, no interior tears, nice, no great carpet, all the widows and all the trim that looked like it just came off the factory floor. Only thing that was missing was the engine and trans. I didn't want to fool with it as I was into "old" cars. I called a local wrecking yard and told them to come get it................frigging duhhh! :(

14. tinmann

tinmann

In '85 I bought a '33 3w body after work on a Friday for $450, and took it to a swap the next day and flipped it for $2000. I thought I had robbed the bank. Let's see ..... today, that body is worth..............

15. synchro7

synchro7

In the summer of 1974 I turned down a 67 427 Cobra because of the outrageous price of $5000.00. It was a divorce sale. He didn't want the soon to be ex getting it.

16. My '67 Corvette coupe.
    427" 390 horse, factory air, tint, factory side exhausts, headrest, and a dumb 2 speed powerglide.
    Nobody was interested in an automatic Vette in those days (1971).
    It was a hard car to sell but a beautiful car to cruise in if you didn't want the hassle of a clutch pedal.
    When I dropped the price to $2300 I had a lot of action on it.
    People still wanted to grind me at that price because of it odd color scheme, White with a barf green interior.
    It finally sold for $2250.
    The biggest DOH! I ever done.
    Oh ya before I forget.
    My 57 white fuelie BelAir 4 door hardtop, sold that for $850 (In 1966)
    Sold my 58 Corvette, 2 tops, p.glide, 8 extra wheels and tires and new paint for a huge whopping $1400 (Spring of 1968)
    The list continues on but in those day You used those cars up and threw 'em away for something better.
    I really am a dumb shit!

17. shoveled71

shoveled71

Back in late 70s my dads friend went bankrupt and gave me a built Olds 392 with 6 strombergs ,planned to put it in a 55 Chevy I had but never made it, sold the motor for 250.00, mid 80s had a chance to buy a like new 67 SS 396 for 1000.00, almost cost me a divorce, by the time I talked the OL into it a local kid bought it for 800.00, had it beat all to hell in just a few months. Spike

18. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

Oh, shit, where do I begin.....

-1970 Cyclone Spoiler, bought in 1976 from the original owner who's dad was a Ford/Mercury dealer in Montrose, Colorado. The guy was washing cars at his Dad's dealership, and he watched it being unloaded from the trailer. It was his 1st car. 429 Cobra Jet, with all those cool gauges across the dash. Came from the factory with a Rochester carb. Most people don't think Ford ever put Rochesters on their engines, but they did. 16 years old, I drove it home after buying it in the rain and got sideways on the highway....

-1965 GTO, that I bought from the original owner in 1977, for TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. Completely original, and and the upholstery was mint, even if the original paint was fading. Even worse, I sold it for $500!

-1968 GTO, also bought from the original owner. My first restoration.

-1970 Boss 302. I restored it, and it was in a Mustang Monthly. I still know it's VIN by heart.

Those 4 together.... $200,000? AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I want them all back! My wife tells me to let it go.....

Attached Files:

19. chubbie

chubbie

in about 1970 i bought an exhaust manifold for a '53-'54 vett. wanted it for the split manifold... even bought it without the intake, didn't want the intake.. found out it would'nt fit my '41 so i sold it for $35. it was NOS!!!! I was just a kid.......

20. Yes so far you do! hahahaa please tell me someone made you do it!? if so are you still married???

21. EV34

EV34

so true so true

22. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Stupidest time I ever let something pass through my hands? Well I'd show ya the video, but it's not G rated...

23. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

A Norton Commando - sat on Rt30 for weeks , called for directions to his house - turned into his street , saw it on an ElCamino going the other way.

24. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I had just been laid off from my job and happened to be reading the Dallas Morning News classified ads. Looked in the automobile section and there was an original 65 Chevelle Z16. Looked again and the ad said must sell, $1700. This was in around 78 and I didn't have a pot or a window so I told a friend about it and we went to look at it. Wasn't in great shape but not that bad either, a good #3 or better. He had the money but was, and still is, tighter than Dick's hat band. This is when this car was valued in #4 condition at $35,000. I couldn't convince him to buy it just to resell. He still talks about losing the money he could have made.

25. I passed on a original 1954 corvette (basket case) back in the early 90's -Completely dis-assembled , most all of the body was there, some of the interior, no motor or transmission for $500 OBO which included the car trailer it sat on.( it needed some work too) but do-able But my stupid move was to trade my 1939 blown studebaker gasser for a 1964 dodge polara cause the whole family didn't fit in it, (at least it had a 440 and was a 4 speed) after I finished it - I was finished shortly thereafter - wife and kids gone - and the judge said to sell the dodge and she got all the $$$ Had to start all over again, I miss the stude more than any car I have ever owned.

26. In the sixties, I turned down a beat up old race car that had a Chevy in it, but it was gone and all that was left was the beatup, bonded body and chassis. It was a Ferrari Testa Rosa and had the factory plate. The guy that bought it sold it, untouched, for 1.2 Million in the Japanese money decade.
    The factory plate alone would probably bring a Million today.

27. Yep, number one was Grandpa's 1949 Studebaker half ton. And I'll stop there.

28. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

I keep coming back to this post, and it makes me laugh every time!!!:)

29. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

my dad tells me this story about once a year- in the late 70's a good friend of his had a 427 Shelby Cobra in his garage that he purchased brand new and no longer wanted it. It was white with no stripes, had the 2 4's on it and all, and 12K miles,. He drove it a few times each summer and that was it. He said he would sell it to my dad for $11,000 (about what he paid new). My dad said nah man thats alot of money (which it would have been). Now worth.. at least half a million eh?

Also my dad owned an unbelievably nice 32 3 window that he was piecing together to the point where it was a roller, all original even still had some factory interior in it, no rust at all had about 80% original paint. He bought the body for $700 and after getting a frame and making it look like a hot rod he sold it for $2500, this was in about 1980. Good profit though.. have some pics of that one somewhere...

30. vertible59

vertible59

Auto auction in Greensboro NC. '53 Studebaker, V-8, and what looked to be T-10 4-speed, weathered red paint, nice black r&p, interior, 14 inch Americans. Sitting on the block and running good. I'm standing there when the bidding stalled at $1200, and I didn't bid. I'm thinking, the seller will never take anything close to that for it. Guess what...he pointed to it and said SOLD!