Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cad program questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE CUT MASTER, Jun 21, 2009.

1. I am looking for a CAD program i can use to design parts to be cut on a water jet machine. The program must be ez to use and work on different water jet machines, any recommendations

2. I'm running Autocad 2010. I just email the file to the laser cutter or waterjet shop. I haven't had any problems with them not being able to use them. Everything I've had done was on the money. I think a lot depends on the Fab shops' set up.
    I'm 62 and self taught so it can't be that hard to use. I'd talk to the waterjet guy and pick his brain. Autocad kinda pricey, there might be something else out there that will do the same for less money. My .02.

3. duste01

duste01

4. Find out what file types the different water jet machines take, that will give you a good start as some 3D packages dont offer all the converters right off the bat, such as NX.

Solidworks is easy to use for single parts, and very very easy to convert to diff file formats............

5. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

if your just learning cad try autocad R-14, it's an older program but your drawing can still be transfered, R-14 lacks all the bells and whistles of the newer autocad programs that seem to confuse new users. Ive been using autocad for about 13 years if you have any questions feel free to P.M. me for help I can also get you the program if that helps

6. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Not trying to hijack the thread but what about us mac guys? Any suggestions?

7. Steve @ Industrial Chassis turned me on to "Alibre". It's an economical and kick-@ass version of Solidworks.

You will get an absolute kick out of learning a program like Solidworks/Alibre. It's every bit as easy to get around in as AC, and is so powerful. It's one of the slickest tools that you'll ever learn to use.

8. Get yourself an intel mac or pick up a $700 PC, I guess.
    The trick is finding a legit copy of XP professional.

Any of the "3d" programs made for the mac OS are basically for illustration, and are "polygonal". None of them will create solid geometry or export a STEP file as far as I know.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

.dwg, .dxf, and sometimes .plt files. Most CAD programmes, even the most elementary, have a choice of output format; AutoCAD 2000 .dwg is a safe bet for a lot of stuff. .dxf's tend to be bigger files, sometimes a lot bigger, but the shape-definition files you use with those sorts of processes are tiny little things anyway.

Talk to the people at the shop, though. Sometimes they want things like arc generation set in a specific direction, or they come out backwards. Just ask if there's anything to watch out for.

10. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

What about Cinema 4D?

http://www.maxon.net/

As of now, I'm on 3ds Max on the Windows partition, but I'm considering trying Cinema 4D. Also, there's a rumour that Autodesk is looking into a Mac version of AutoCad.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

The Auto CAD is what ive been using almost since it came out..Like it, easy enough to learn..Auto CAD 2000 also..both should get you what you need and not break the bank

12. I'm not familiar with a CNC controller that will take a "dwg" file and run with it. A plasma cutter should accept at a minimum a "dxf" file. Which should be fine with a 2D machine tool. Anything from Autocad R12 and up should be good.

Bob

13. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

14. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Bob-cad is very easy to use, and works great for our plasma, and router table
    I picked up our copy for $300 about 4-5 years ago.
    find a dealer to buy from, don't buy direct from Bob-cad they will charge you $600+

15. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Anyone aware of software for importing a "shape" from a series of digital photos?

I have a body shape I want to play with, scale up, and print out 2D cross-sections.

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Not with any accuracy, that I know of. There are parallax, focus, and resolution issues to deal with. The closest I've used is CorelDRAW's trace function, and that has very limited usefulness.

I'd say using your own judgement is of vital importance when working off photographs. That is, use the software in your head, along with large prints, a scale rule (and micrometer and vernier calliper if, as you say, you've got the physical object in front of you), and a CAD programme, and actually draw the thing.

17. V4

V4

Try a search on "raster to vector".

18. 85-percent

85-percent

http://www.photomodeler.com/products/default.htm

I am not a user, but this software can make 3D cad files from photos. you need to place 'dots' on the subject for the computer to figure things out.

REVERSE ENGINEERING is a subject I'm interested in. laser scanning looks cool. there's a lot of tech in the world of reverse eng these days.

-90% Jimmy

19. 85-percent

85-percent

20. ruquik

ruquik

Its called bit-torrents.

Software companies have businesses by the balls. If you are using if for personal use of very small business, why drop all that money.

I mean seriously, do you know how much CATIA cost :eek::eek:.

I use SW 2009 and its ok. You can pick up free Solidworks student version that time out after a 180 days.

21. madjack

madjack

Check out e machine shop. You can down load a 3D cad program to design your parts and all they ask is concider them to do the machining

22. flathead4d

flathead4d

Google emachineshop. They have a free cad program you can download and it's easy to use. COSTS NOTHING! I used it to design my adapter plate to mount a T-5 trans to a flathead. Try it, what have you got to lose?

23. I use Pro/E for design work and G-code generation. Expensive and not easy to learn but it does everything.

Most of the local shops I've delt with don't want the prt or iges file, and basically redraw the whole thing in their software. I find it moronic, but it was actually the same thing when having prototype parts built in house (I just designed the stuff, I didn't do the cutter paths). In spite of the availablity of the exact geometry in the file, they did it their way.... I might as well have written it on a napkin.

Best to ask your shop what they want. No point in over doing it only to have them redo it.

24. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Thanks for all the ideas, now I've got to go earn a PhD in CAD.

25. I need something ez to use and reasonable and gets the job done