Register now to get rid of these ads!

4.50-4.75 or 5.00-5.25 x16" bias tires what will take the weight of a Nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Jun 23, 2009.

1. flatoz

flatoz

Trying to work something out.

looking at front tires for the next project and I have a pair of 4.50--4.75 firestones and I was discussing with my old man about it all ( swifty ) we are looking at getting tires mounted to a set of 16" rims as a start for another chassis that will have a nail head in it.

I got my 4.50-4.75 mounted on my rims and he was saying about using the same. he did a search or looked up in his cattledog and saw that the 4.50- only take 660lbs while the 5.00- take I think it was around 800lbs.

given the general rule is 60% of the weight of the car over the front axle I'm a little worried that my tires might not be up to the weight. I know when I got my car weighed it went over the scales at 1080kg which is 2376lbs

60% of this is about 1400lbs which is over the 1320 they quote, not to mention the motor now has a blower on top of it.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? or been running cars about the same weight ( 32 hiboy roadster) with heavy engines without issue?

Just wondering , don't like the idea of blowing a tire at speed.

And not sure they would then be a good idea for a heavier engine like a nailhead???:confused:

2. striper

striper

Can't help you Corey. Not unless you give me some more details of what you are doing with that Nailhead :)

Pete

3. Ole don

Ole don

Modern tires in our country have a load rating on the sidewall. A nailhead should have enough power to kill you anyway, if it were mine, I would go with a speed rated radial.

4. striper

striper

It should have enough power to keep the front wheels off the road. Don't worry about it.

5. swifty

swifty

Well the only bit that Corey got right was that the 4.50-4.75 tires are rated at 660 lbs. The 5.00-5.25 are rated at 1070 lbs which is a hell of a jump in the rating. What we need to know is if the 4.50-4.75's are safe to run in flatoz roadster with the blown flathead?

swifty

6. striper

striper

So....he was mistaken...no nailhead....meant to say 'blown flathead'....I see;)

7. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

I run a 4 3/4" X 16" bias ply on the front of mine...and it's holding up a hemi. A nailhead shouldnt be an issue

8. Swifty I wouldnt worry about the smaller tire with the Flathead sitting over it.

Ole Don I dont think you know Swifty or Flatoz well enough haha !! Suggesting a radial tire instead of bias to Flatoz is like asking him to pull the Flathead and install an SBC.

There.

I said it !!

Rat

9. flatoz

flatoz

striper,

you KNOW there is a nailhead, also a blown flathead and a dickhead ( wait that me)

Anyway, decision is 5.00- under the nailhead, and hope like hell the 4.75- hold the roadster off the ground... did I check that scrubline...

10. tmf

tmf

Corey just to be safe double check the scrubline.