Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know the laws regarding restoring a US Mail truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Jun 21, 2009.

1. You could write "US Male" (instead of US Mail) on it to confuse people.

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

I'm no expert on the law but I would agree if you painted it exactly like and use identical logos then you might have problem but if you use similar colors but a variation on design then you should be able to street drive it without a problem.

There was a Divco or similar truck painted up and named "gone postal" that I believed has been on this site before that was done pretty good .

3. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Jay, your avatar pic is something! I've never felt guilty and laughed so hard at the same time.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Tony Piner...

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I've owned and driven restored fire engines and a friend of mine owns and drives this Buick all the time
    [​IMG]
    Now, we don't drive down the street with the sirens and red lights on, but do drive them.
    Technically you are supposed to have covers over the red lights, but my point is, if you can drive fire engines and restored police cars, you certainally can drive a frickin mail truck, at least in California...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I finally found a photo of Jim Jacobs, of Pete & Jakes, mail truck. I took this at LARS several years ago.
    [​IMG]

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That's owned by Karl Johanson of Temple City, before that was Piner's, before that it was Jake's who got it from Jim Brucker...whew,......not really important in the big scheme of things...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  8. But, aren't crimes against the post office federal crimes?

... Like an ancient post office truck is gonna matter :rolleyes:

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just to toss another little tidbit into the mix, I talked to our mail carrier, since she's driving her Taurus around from the right side (it's LHD). I mentioned a late model RHD car I'd seen on CL, since it looks pretty bad to be shotgun driving a Taurus. She said that she had to supply her own vehicle, and it could only be a couple years old and low mileage. The listing was over the limit on mileage. Anyway, I can't imagine even the lamest, anal-retentive, bureaucratic bloodsucking waste of air being able to cause you any problems with a 1946 anything painted up in exact colors. NO ONE is going to think it's a real Postal Service vehicle on the job.

10. Worst case, you might have to do something like get the logos made up on big magnetic stick-on signs and just stick them on at shows or whatever.

11. Thats what i was thinking.