Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I‘m certainly no historian, but I received a couple 'private messages' about this issue, so here‘s …

“Junior Stock,” the ‘moniker.’ One more time … my humble ‘take.’

I’m not really sure if NHRA actually ‘coined’ the term “Junior Stock” or not, but I first heard the name used around 1962. It was either at York, Aquasco, or Capitol Raceway Park. Those tracks and most of the others used that ‘identifier’ to differentiate between the group of car comprising Super Super Stock, AA Stock, the (single) Super Stock class cars … and all of the ‘other’ stockers.

So … for a time, there was “Stock Eliminator” for the group of cars that consisted of the *absurdly-named Super Super Stock’ class, the stand-alone ‘Super Stock‘ class, and ‘AA/Stock/AA/SA classes.

The name “Junior Stock Eliminator” was for A/S and *‘lower’ classes -- *depending on the weight-break for the given (rule-book) year.

From the very start the racers seemed to embrace the name, not at all as demeaning, but almost as a ‘badge of honor.’ And in a fairly-short time the car magazines all ‘jumped on it’ with feature stories touting the virtues and achievements of these incredible “Jr. Stock” cars.

“Junior Stock Eliminator” reverted back to simply “Stock Eliminator.” after the creation of the multi-class “Super Stock Eliminator.”

Alas, old (and coveted) monikers are really hard to discard. This unique H.A.M.B. forum certainly serves to perpetuate that fond memory.

Junior Stock is gone :(… Long Live ‘Junior Stock’ :)

2. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

X tech: this is a great idea. Maybe MANDRA will pick the junior stock cars up ti run the circuit . I hope it becomes a reality Thanks

3. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Its been a long time ago but I remember that Aquasco "SPLIT" the stockers into to seperate groups (not counting Factory stock) due to the higher HP cars and newer muscle cars dominating stock. I dont remember the break but it was somewhere around G or H at that time which wouldnt match todays G and H stock weight breaks. Super Stock was the high HP factory race cars such as the 409's 413/426 Mopars, 406/427 Fords, etc. A/S down to someplace around G or H (not the current weight breaks for G and H) was stock and the lower classes were called "Jr. stock" to allow the lower cars a chance at some win money. There was also a LOT of cheating going on...lol. They along with Capitol race way also split the current at that time "B" stock class into double BB and B to seperate the 4 barr GTO's, 442's, and my own 65 Plymouth from the tri-powered muscle cars as the wt breaks were wierd back in those days. The 66 427 Biscaynes ran B stock in NHRA and were unbeatable against the run of the mill muscle cars so they ran BB. I remember Larry Kopp (the Pro stock truck Champ) running a 57 chev wagon in "L" I believe before he turned it into a modified class car and it was a Jr. stocker. I do remember Capitol was "NASCAR" santioned and Aquasco was NHRA santioned around 1965-66 and some of the classes were different. I was friends with the INDIAN tribe" if any remembers Sam Samuels 60 SD star chief, Mike Miatico 61 SD waon( who owned Capitol raceway in later years) and owned the M/T 61 SD Pontiac of Carol and Loyd Cox, Bob Maxey 60 SD cat. (before he became a big money bracket racer), Pop Kennedy 62 Grand Prix 348 HP, Johnny Walker, Bruce Conyers, and a Ford racer named Gene Collins (66 271 HP automatic Mustang). A fellow by the name of "Gentelman John" Rowley (lil George should remember him...lol who raced a Black 59 Biscayne that was supposed to be a 348 but was really a 409 with 1 carb. Joe Perzan who led the Div 1 points for awhile in 1966 in a 60 SD Pontiac wagon. I STILL have a plaque labled "Drag Times Jr. stock class finalist" from the day the Kurtz and Calderhead "Cherry Buster" outran me for class at a "Money meet" at Aqusco. When I think about it sometimes I remember quite a few stories from those days. Good time of my life and lots of memories.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  4. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Maybe you could put the "BUG" in thier ear. I would build a "clone" of something if it could become a reality. NHRA stock racing has become way to expensive and way to much work for an old guy on a retirement income.

5. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

who said this thread was dying? I knew I was missing something special being to young to participate at the time! but at least now I can semi live it through this thread! A nostalgia jr, stock class sounds good to me maybe this time I could participate with my 56 sedan delivery! many thanx to colsey, x-techman,pontiac i/sa, bob rice,gary glover, chuck norton, tony janes,p426, skip asay, and everyone else who has contributed to this thread!

6. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

hey guys, i have aset of hooker headers with the adjustable collecters on my 56, does any body have any tips on how to seal the collecters where they meet the primaries to eliminate small exhaust leaks? I know they were intended to run uncorked so leaks were not a concern on the track but i love them on my 56 so ill live with the leak if i have to!

7. John Mackey

John Mackey

Well if I need to find a missing person I'm calling Super Tom.

Skip Asay how are ya? Last I saw you, you had the carb shop in Oakhurst and Ronnie was working with you. Cindy Lane, Right?
    Lots of cool stuff here and alot of the old gang. Photos are great.
    Send me a pm with your cell number we need to catch up.

John

8. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I had a set of adjustable headers on my 69 Corvette years ago (1973)when I put it back on the street and found that Hi Temp RED silacone smeared on the pipes before assembly and allowing it to set up overnight did a great job of sealing them up. Dont be afraid to use a lot. Dont know if todays stuff will work as well though.

9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I ran my Super Stock car with NO gaskets (only the red silicon) between the aluminum flange plates and the head and between the flange plate and the header flange. This was less than a year ago so it's the "today's stuff." it was sealed up MUCH better than it ever did with traditional gaskets. If there is the possibility that the header flanges might be warped, don't hesitate to cut them into three sections: 1. front pipe 2. second and third pipes together 3. rear pipe. You save a little weight but you also benefit from a sealing surface that isn't warped or twisted when you tighten the unit down.

10. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

That's Frank Iaconio

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hey man, it's my pleasure!

Best regards,

Pete :)

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yep, sure is. Hmmm....LAWAUTO...that sounds very familiar. Now just who can that be? Lou? Anne? Walt?

I'm going to guess and say it's...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Heck, it's way too expensive for many working stiffs as well! Especially if you want to build an A or B Stock big-block or Hemi combo. Even more so if you want to build a competitive/record-setting one!

The second coming of Jr. Stock Eliminator, even if only at nostalgia-type events, would be most exciting to watch!

Regards,

Pete

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Btw, where is Johnny "Junior Stock" Dianna these days?

Pete

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Here he is...

John Dianna, the owner of Buckeroo Publications...

[​IMG]

Buckeroo Publications?

I'd never of recognized him without his specs. :)

It'd be great if someone could get J.D. over here. I'm sure he has a mountain of memories he could share.

Pete

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Well, well...I see J.D. is still in the automotive magazine publishing business:

http://www.buckaroocommunications.com/ME2/Default.asp

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class=BottomBarFontColor><CENTER>Copyright © 2009 Buckaroo Communications All rights reserved. | Console Login </CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD class=BottomBarFontColor><CENTER>P: (423) 664-5100 | F: (423) 664-5109 | [email protected] </CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD class=BottomBarFontColor><CENTER>1220 Market Street Dayton, Tennesee 37321-1250 </CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Yep, JD is the man who fired Doug Marion, after he made his magazine a TON of money for many years.............:(

18. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Pete,
    It's just me, Lou Cuviello. I'll post some photos soon.
    Anne and Walt live in West Milford,NJ.

19. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Butch,
    Here's a photo of the 57 Vette at Island Dragway.
    The one in Super Stock was completed as a street car and sold back then. The Silver race car which set 2 records was also sold in the mid 70's and new owner restored it as a 283/283 fuelie.
    Lou

Attached Files:

20. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Doug Marion, to cool of a guy. :cool:

21. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I came across this a few years back. 1968 Winternationals Stock, Round 1 to Round 5

Attached Files:

22. Hi Lou
    Nice to see that you have caught up to this site, you should try to get Anne and Walter interested in it.
    In reference as to who is leaning on the right front fender,I think you should put your glasses on and look again, It's the other right front fender they are talking about that Tom Callahan is leaning on.
    I have many fine memorys of the three of you both at Island and Raceway. Nice to be in touch with you again.
    Regards

Dom

23. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

This picture was taken at OCIR in 1970 or 1971. Marv and John are the two guys in the background. The truck with the hood up is the one Lindy and I used to haul various race cars to the strip. We had a lot of trouble with that truck and the hood was up often. I am enclosing some other pictures of the truck and 1957 Wagon.

Attached Files:

24. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I am going to try to come to Ruby's this Friday June 26 with the 1968 Chevelle Wagon

Attached Files:

25. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks a lot, Dom!

Regards,

26. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Oh well...I was close. :D

Pete

27. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Ah, that was the "era." I still have that SS & DI issue somewhere in my collection.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Pete

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Tony, thanks for posting the photos.

29. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

In the seventies my place was called "The Ranch". I am not sure who named it that either Paul Dilcher or Val Hedworth.

30. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

hey,Tony where was yor yard located at in Whittier? In 71 I had a brand new C.D.L. a 57 210 2 door wagon I lived at the corner of Mullberry and Gunn and i would spend hours cruiseing around looking for yards and cars like yours to drool over!