Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reminder to everybody about critters in the summer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Midnight 50, Jun 3, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

Common Name:
    Vinegaroon
    Scientific Name: Mastigoproctus giganteus (Lucas)
    Order: Uropygi Description: Vinegaroons have heavy mouthparts (pedipalps) that are formed into pincers. The first pair of legs is long and thin and is used like antenna to feel their way around. The next three pairs of legs are used for walking. The abdomen is attached widely to the head-thorax region (cephalothorax). The tail is long and thin suggesting a whip which is where the common name, "whipscorpion," originates for the order Uropygi. The only species that occurs in Texas is Mastigoproctus giganteus (Lucas) which is a vinegaroon in the family Thelyphonidae. Our Texas species is nearly black in color. Bodies of adults are 1 1/2 to 3 inches long. It is found primarily in west Texas especially in the Trans-Pecos region, but has been reported as far north as the Panhandle and in south Texas.
    Life Cycle: Eggs are carried in a sac by the female. After hatching, they ride on the female’s back similar to scorpions.
    Habitat, Food Source(s), Damage: Mouthparts are for chewing. Vinegaroons are nocturnal and have poor vision, relying on sensing vibrations to locate prey. They are more commonly found in desert areas but they have also been reported in grassland, scrub, pine forests, and mountains.
    Pest Status: Considered non-poisonous but they can pinch; capable of spraying a mist from scent glands at the base of the tail when disturbed. The mist produced by our species contains 85% concentrated acetic acid or vinegar, hence the name "vinegaroon."

edit: "Vinegaroon." insects.tamu.edu. 6 June 2009. Texas A&M System. <http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg365.html>.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. junk fiend

junk fiend

shoulda cooked em up and eat em

3. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

So do those front hooks actually work?

4. yeah ,we got all them little critters here in Ga but its the snakes that get to me,just saw one strike a bird in my back yard ,the bird got away,but I wanted to move that pile of wood last week,better run the tractor over it first

5. rixrex

rixrex

Holy crap! we have camel spiders here in the states?! have they always been here? one more thing to worry about...

6. I dunno...I've never been ballsy enough to pick one up and find out. Anything that will spray (certain hygiene products) at a person can't be too friendly...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  7. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

After I retire in March of 08 a friend who has a company called "The Skunk Whisperer" and "Total Wildlife Control" asked me to help him out doing snake. moles and gophers. His entire business is catch and release with the exception of moles and gophers. Total humane company with the exception of mole and gophers. Snakes don't bother me. They will avoid you as best they can. Black snakes are good at mice and rat control. I just hate those fucking tarantulas. I kill their asses quick. Don't have much use for spiders either.

8. ever walk through a junk yard and get a big webb wraped around your face? If you can keep it together through that and not panic and run screaming like a little girl ,your a better man than I,everyone laughing and pointing I never even saw a spider but there are some f***ing BIG ones here in Ga. and especialy in Fla.

9. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

We get webs built here overnight across the garage and front walk path. By early morning you hit 3 or 4 going out the door. I'm always wigged out with all the black widows and other spiders around here.

10. rixrex

rixrex

If you are sticking your hand into an unknown space, up into a fender to get to the back of a headlight, wear a glove, if the spider web is all fuzzy and disorganized looking like cotton candy it is a black widow...

11. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

When I was in SAR training in P-cola we used to do forced runs through the woods...I was the second fastest runner in the squad and everyone wondered why I would always get in the pack of the pack when we went to single file in the bottoms (basically jungle) till the point guy ran through a wolf spider web. Wolf spiders typically like to hang out in the middle of their web and the middle was at face level. Yup, he hadda wolf spider planted on his face for a breif moment...and he screamed like a little girl...

12. 62nova

62nova

I get scorpions in my shop. I picked up a fender I was working on the night before and there she was.

13. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

OMG that makes my skin crawl. I wouldn't have screamed though... sucker might have crawled in my mouth....

I have a lot of spots up inside the dash I'll be working on with the 50 this week and I'm debating starting a flash fire up there and dealing with it. LOL.

14. I ran over a skunk on my ten speed when I was a boy,Man....that smell will make you puke yer guts out, I shit you not.I forgot about them Dang skunks,Nasty!!!

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Well- it's been 3 days. Gave the dogs another bath yesterday. We wound up rolling up the big 14x20 tapestry carpet & tossed it in the back yard & cleaned the wood floors twice. This morning- wife & I smiled & said the smell is gone!

So- we invite the kids & grandkids over for a BBQ this afternoon. As soon as they walked in the door- What the hell is that smell? :eek:

16. understand the look firzst thing...I find these little guys around from time to time,not as much since I finished out the shop but they are still around too much

Attached Files:

17. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

You need this: https://www.whatodor.com/flare/next

Billy Mayes tested it on skunks. Watch the video. (halfway mark)

18. Last summer three of my guys were out back getting parts,thinking they were taking a little to long I walked out to see whats up when I saw them all standing on the roofs of cars,I walked over to them and found out they saw a big snake, haveing never seen one out there and not quite understanding the deep fear of snakes some people have ,I poked around pretending to look for it,chuckling to myself.I found an old heater hose, pulled it up like I was fighting it, and flung it right on the black guys feet that was still standing on the roof,Well ,he shot straight up in the air like a rocket,when he hit the ground he never stopped running.being the new guy he didnt know of or had any warning of my screwd up sence of humor,never had a chance to tell him it was just a piece of hose cause he never came back,must think I'm F***in crazy or something I can only imagine.Hey Jake if your out there ,I'm sorry.A week later I saw the monster snake,it was black and big around as a base ball bat,scared the crap outta me

19. These little shits aren't that big, but it kind of ruins the desire to walk about bare foot at night. I have found one a week here in the summer.

Attached Files:

20. they look real mean though,I used to like going bare foot but my black chows cured me of that,step in a big pile of fresh dodo one time see how it ruins your day,especialy if your friends are there.that really sucks

21. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

OMG lol! That and the rat story early on have me rolling.

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

we have them here too in south Georgia and North florida, they won't hurt you, they actually can get up to ten inches, i have one living on the roof inside of my garage,she kills the black widows. i got close enough to measure, eight inches leg to leg. thye are also called crab spiders, because their front legs are together like a crab. Only problem is they kill the Wolf spiders, I like my wolf spiders. they also kill other smaller spiders. we have wolf spiders all over the house, I leave them alone and let them eat the bugs. They are pretty harmless to people also,

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

actually true wolf spiders don't spin webs, they ambush their prey,like little army rangers, we have them all over here, they are very useful and pretty harmless to people.

24. what about squirrels? pretty harmless, huh,the cute little S.O.B.s ate all the insulation off the wiring in my old couger,I 'm lucky I open the hood before starting it up it would have burnt down the garage and taken abunch of other stuff with it,but don't kill spiders and snakes and other ugly critters we need them.KILL squirrels you wouldn't believe how good they are in stew.Anybodies wife ever wreack a car because of one? I swear they are evil.

25. OMG,that reminds me....While living in central Fla. my bosses wife used to call the shop(next door)every time she saw a snake.So I went up to the barn and caught a six foot rat snake (harmless)After chasing everyone around with it I set it on an ant mound (tiny little red ants)The next day I went over to look an there was nothing left but bones.I've heard stories about people going off the road and getting trapped in their cars and getting eatin alive by fire ants ,I believe it too.If your not looking where your going and step on a mound you'll drop down in it to halif way up your knee and it'll be solidly coverd with ants,that quick and they'll be eating their lunch before you know they are even there,no shit their like tiny little pirana's,

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i have squirrel killing cats. the only squirres i have in my garage are skeletons in the loft, i leave em there as a warning to other squirrels. put some decon in your garage,kills em quick. as far as them running out in the road, i'm sure not going to wreck a car because of some bushy tailed rat, the car is much bigger,it's moving much faster,and the critters will be much flatter.

27. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

....he must have been lost huh? coz most of them bears are Chevy guys......
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

28. My house and garage is in a wooded area and around here we get a lot of spiders stringing webs everywhere. I keep a stick by the door so when I walk from the garage to the house at night I can wave it around in front of me to knock down any webs to keep from getting a face full of that shit. I must look like an idiot waving that thing around like a Jedi Knight. Good thing it's dark and no one can see me!!:eek:

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just went crazy trying to kill a bunch of " black widows" after i had fogged up my garage with spray killer, i discovered they were those fake ones with green shiny bodies and red marks like black widows. well I guess fake gun or real gun will still get you shot, they should have known better. I thought my wolf spiders were slacking off for a bit.

30. prl98

prl98

We get these little buggers in Ca . too! Santa Cruz Mtns. of all places.
    This one was there to greet me the other day.

Attached Files: