Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Cars in the Weeds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by todd_a, Jun 18, 2009.

1. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Today as I was driving back from a stop I had to make for work, I decided to stop and take a quick couple of pics of these cars that are usually only visible during the winter when the leaves are fallen off and the weeds are all dead.

I stopped here before and got out of my vehicle to look and I kept my distance but within a matter of minutes I was run off. It wasn't the owner, but someone acting on their behalf. They were pissy and mean and would not talk about it at all and all they said was "You have to leave" over and over again until I was driving off.

Today I just stopped there and quickly took a couple of pics with my phone and left fast. I did notice an older lady across the way there going inside her house, so she might be the one tipping off someone where there is a visitor.

So, I don't know the story behind these cars or who owns them or why they are just sitting there, but I do know that I saw them there when I was about 19 years old and that would be 21 years ago! And they appeared to have been there for a long time at that point.

There are multiple rows of them although it is hard to tell from the pics.

The pic that looks like only weeds is actually a couple of model A's and possibly a 3rd car that I think is an older "T". There is also parts from what looks like T's or A's that may have come apart. The other pic is obvious. Recently there was a fire at a wood structure close by and I guess they cut back some of the over growth because of that. They are all in pretty good shape.

I wish I could talk to the owner. Oh well, these will probably rot to nothing before anyone gets the opportunity to save them.

I might try and stop by again with my good camera later and get a few better shots.

Attached Files:

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Two potential outcomes to this story, you will find the owner and have an opportunity to purchase or double ot (00) buckshot to the buttocks! ;) I'm a sucker myself to look at old scrap laying around no matter how prominent the No Trespassing Signs! Good luck and do bring the good camera next time!

3. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I wonder how to find out how much of the side of the road belongs to the county or state or what ever entity owns it as public property. I coudl stand at the edge of that all day and take pics till I was ready to go.

4. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

If you have to buy 'em all and need someone to go in with you on a deal.....:rolleyes:
    I would try to ask around first. At least you have a chance before they warn ya.

5. 50merc808

50merc808

tempting....but the people sound sketchy man, be careful. from the pics it looks like an arrow could come flying through the brush at any moment...then again i watch to much horror movies.

6. myride2

myride2
    from canada

here some more in the weeds,not the smokable kind either,rats.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. xjustjeffx

xjustjeffx
    from South Tx

i know who the cars belong to and also have a phone number for him. just give me a couple of weeks to get the few cars that i want from there and i will gladly give you the info. i posted about the same cars a few hours ago and was pointed to this thread

8. The Chevy looks like a '42. Pretty rare beast.
    The "POSTED" sign doesn't look to be 12 years old, so someone's been taking some interest in protecting their property.

9. Powerband

Powerband

I try to take my camera these days - always something in the weeds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. It's sad how some people will just let perfectly good, restorable pieces of history, rust away to dust. Here's two trucks a local farmer gave me b/c he thought they were beyond repair. I think I got the benefit on that deal. They are just dually grain truck, but the cabs might help me fund my model A project. Within a 10 mile radius of my place I've spotted: a complete 36 ford pickup, '55 chevy 1 ton truck with a v8, '57 Chevy 1500 Truck, 61 Impala(junk parts car) and about 5 '47-54' Chevy trucks. I need to invest in a heavyduty trailer with a winch and see if I can start picking these things up for a few hundred a piece.

Attached Files:

11. 64chrysler300

64chrysler300

Theres a place just like that some ways down the road from my house. its a old house with a 55 cadillac, 55 ford, 46 chevy, 47 desoto sedan, 2 old gmc schoolbusses, 53-55 ford cab an OLD vintage travel trailer and a 57 chrysler imperial lebaron. my dad said 31 years ago he and my uncle went there to ask if the caddy and the imperial was for sale the old pissy guy said no and told em to leave. the guy died and now the house is abandoned and the place is grown up in the summer and you can only see the cars in the winter. ive always wanted to go there and get some pics . me and my dad did pull in the drive way of the house once and we could see the travel trailer, the gmc school bus behind the house and other cars but we didnt stay long because we were afraid the hillbillies in the trailer next to the place was gonna shoot us or something!

12. Repeated warnings that you must leave...were you on the property? They may be supplementing their income back in that brush. That will get dangerous if they are.

13. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Be carefull - I unknowingly walked right into the middle of a drug deal once looking for old cars. There were keys everywhere - I got the hell out of there in a hurry! :eek:

14. Tadapocus

Tadapocus

I live about 15 miles from the place and I understand what you got is all you will ever get. Those cars haven't been sitting there all these years for nothing. By the way, I have seen a '51 Ford convertible near the front.

15. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Man that looks real back woods to me. If you get run off by someone, you best not go back. If you have seen Wrong Turn you know what I mean.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like poison ivy there around that bucket frame! OUCH!

Like the toolbox still bolted to the runningboard sitting atop the Model A.

17. LovelyBones

LovelyBones
    from Tyler, TX

I think we outta sneak out there late tonight and get some better shots...;)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  18. vexner

vexner

Can't you go to your county court house and find out who owns the land,then contact them?And if not Lovely Bones invite sounds pretty good to me.How old do you have to be to be a dirty old man?

19. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I looked it up once on the apprasal district's web site using their map and information and found the owner's name and contact info from that. Thing is, I heard he doesn't want to sell anything and he is really pissy about it after all these years of dealing with people hounding him about it.

I'm only 40 so I don't know if that counts as old, but I get dirty a lot.

20. LovelyBones

LovelyBones
    from Tyler, TX

I think you're old enough when you think I'm too young...:p

What can I say...I want what I can't have...or shouldn't have...haha

So Todd...what do you say? You up for gettin down and dirty in the weeds? lol

The camera is charged and ready to go ;)

21. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I'm thinkin' uuuuuhhhh YEAH!!

[​IMG]

22. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

There you go! Think Positive....I always do.

[​IMG]

23. 61bone

61bone