Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle can epoxy primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Aviator

Aviator

I plan to work the cowl vent on my '34 Ford. I want to prime it until later. Has anyone used rattle can epoxy for a small job such as this one? Good or bad? Results?

2. Bman416

Bman416

Check out SEM paint products. A friend of mine who owns a body shop uses them on small projects and has no problem with them.

Brian

3. EV34

EV34

no problems for me works great on small areas and what not

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you use the right stuff, it should work fine. A true epoxy will have a hardener that goes with it....I've seen new spray cans that you have to activate, push a button or something that breaks a seal and lets the hardener into the paint. This is the kind of epoxy primer you'll want for a good water RESISTANT primer. Not water proof! but they do hold up for a while while you finish up other work.
    Just be aware that there are "epoxy reinforced" paints, too...like Eastwood's Chassis Black. They do not use a hardener, and are not as durable as paints that do.
    Once you 'activate' the primer or paint, you have a very limited time window to use it, or it will harden right in the can (or spray gun if you mix it).

5. inliner54

inliner54

I have used thes SEM stuff with no problems. works good for exactly what you want to do, seal up some body work from the elements. make sure when you paint your car you use a real activated epoxy primer.

6. c10addict

c10addict

7. 50merc808

50merc808

paint guy at a local parts store just told me he can put some epoxy primer into a spray can for me if i needed some for touch up jobs, though i never took him up on it yet.

8. Not sure how he is going to accomplish that? As chopolds mentioned above epoxies require a hardener and once activated have a fairly short life span before they go hard so you will either have to race home to use it or it will never set as he put no hardener in.