Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new parts car is infested with Black Widows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott48F2, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ill get some pictures taken as i go about despidering my parts car

i think tonight ill try a tarb and some insecticides once tonight then another one as i leave for work

then ill go ahead and get the tuff spots with direct spray

and then the pressure washer

and if all else fails who wants to go to TJ for m80s?

2. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

How hot does it have to get to kill em? Could you just leave it out in the sun with all the windows up for a couple days.
    [​IMG]

3. i wonder if whiskey kills black widows?

4. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

The Ace Hardware link says they no longer sell pesticides in CA because of the lametard regulations.
    Another good reason to leave Cali, in case you need one.

This may be just their mail-order policy, I'll check at my local Ace today.

Update: Ace has lots of bug killers -- a dry fogger that will kill spiders without blowing the place up. Delta Duster looks good, but I'd get a respirator to use it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Man, that's what I was thinkin... They wouldn't be bug BOMBS with me, they'd be bug HAND GRENADES tossed from about 15' away. Eww. Just sell it.

6. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Catch one if you can and spray lacquer thinner on it.....if it kills it put some lacquer thinner in a garden pressure sprayer and have at it, at least they might die and the lacquer thinner will evaporate and not make to much of a mess in your car.

7. it was a free car.... runs with a title actually so i aint selling it just yet

im using it to get my daily back on the road

southern California sucks for getting bug or weed killer thats worth a damn

try buying Carburetor cleaner here :mad:

8. fuck i hate black widows!!! When i first got my 53 chevy I pulled it in my two car garage set off two black flag bug bombs on the roof closed the doors and the next day I found 30+ dead black widows on the floor under and around the car...My bug bombs worked...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. ill have to try that...... thats sounds kinda harmless

10. yeah the more i think about it spending $6.95 on a 3 pack of bug bombs is gonna be my first line of defense

i just hope my last line of defense isn't Hiroshima style.... black widows outlive the nukes like the damn cockroaches do?

11. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Just call an exterminater. And what about the snake?

12. snake?

13. Like I said my first thought was "Burn'em out" LOL

14. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Pfft... Snakes are easy (as he holds up his bloody snake-bashin' shovel). Spiders though... Eww. Just sell it. :D

15. Killer

Killer

every parts car that comes through here stays in the driveway until the exterminator comes.

I dunno how much more he charges to do it, he comes once a month anyway.

16. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

roll down all the windows, tarp that thing down good (sealed to the ground as best you can) toss a bug bomb on the floor boards front and back.

Leave over the weekend.

you my want to watch it for a while to stomp out any rouge spiders making a break for the grass.

If that don't work... call an exterminator

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Carb cleaner does kill then, I know - tried it!

18. Hehe! Can you say boom? :D

Just unhook the battery and watch for static.

19. my brother in laws a termite guy but the use eco friendly heat

which aint to fun

gonna tarp bomb and repeat.... i guess

exterminators from the phone book th ink im crazy so far they don't want to risk a insurance claim

20. damn it spiders are a damn pain in the ass

21. electric duster with 60$ chemicals grrrr

22. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

I HATE spiders, so, here is an opinion from someone who would be overly paranoid:

Drag the car to a field/parking lot/etc. that is far from dwellings, etc. and on a sunny day has very good lighting.

I would bug bomb and tarp the car like many mentioned.

While that is exhausting itself I would drive to the hardware store and buy a garden sprayer and some Sevin (good bug killer solution from most hardware stores), and mix it strong. Put on your respirator mask and go to it. Spray every single nook and cranny of the car, prefereably without any rain coming in the following 24hrs. so it doesn't wash it away. I would repeat spraying a few times, but again I am paranoid and with all the nooks and crannies you just can't be completely sure.

I would then dissassemble the parts you are most concerned about, like the interior you mentioned. Wear long sleeves, long rubber dish gloves, and do it on a sunny bright day so you can see everything that is on or around the parts area you are working. Lay them out in an open clear area and examine carefully (I would probably spray again, but I'm nuts).

THEN AND ONLY THEN take the parts home to your garage and use.

Based on your success/confidence of spraying/fumigating the car, you can judge if it is salvagable or resell it.

Just please be very very careful. These are very small spiders that are often difficult to spot and pack a very powerful wallup that no car/deal is worth.

Good luck!

23. xix32

xix32

how about wrapping it up in a tarp and pipe in a large dose of carbon monoxide from the tail pipe of a running car. if it will kill us, it should kill them.
    and if it works, there would be no after smell.

24. TexasDart

TexasDart

wonder what soapy water would do to them. I've used it to kill other bugs. Wonder if you could set a trap for them with something they fall into a liquid and drown...but I'd probably try and bug bomb them too.
    I'd probably spray and area around the car in case they start running out.

25. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

Should have mentioned in my post above, wait it out after you apply the Sevin for a couple of days. I have seen it kill everything I have sprayed in about 15 seconds or less, but wait it out to be sure!!!

26. just got back from a 70 year old hardware store up the street from my work.

i know the guy real well and told him my dilema and he reached back behind the insecticide shel there and found som 1980's bug bombs he gave me along with a couple areasol cans that were a dozen or more years old that still got the "good guy" poision in them

just test one of the 4 cans he gave me in the back shed on my works property and it still has good propelant and sprays just fine

the can says kills all spiders and such also got a 12x20' roll of viscuine to cover it all up

ill pull the car a bit farther from the front of the house maybe to the easement back behind my yard

as far as the mix in/ mix it yourself chemicals they arnt worth a damn here anymore in southern california so i think i may have to pass on that part

27. TraderJack

TraderJack

Oh, I worked as a real estate appraised and one of my fellow appraisers had the perfect solution for them. It was in the olden days when we used to have to crawl under the house to inspect the foundations. LOL

He would just crawl under there and mash them with his thumb!

They always stand or hang with the feet on the surface and they don't have fangs on their back!

Me, around the house now, I use starting fluid (Prestone) freezes them promptly.

LOL

traderjack