Register now to get rid of these ads!

powerglide transmission??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigds54, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

need some help again, finally got my car registered yesterday in California which I thought was gonna be a lot harder, but the wonderful people at the dmv in simi valley are rod & custom friendly, the guy before me registered a roadster with yom plates easily in less thean 10 minutes, so it only took me an hour or so, everything was working ok yesterday except i felt like the tranny was taking an extra second to catch, now it doesnt have neutral or reverse, when i put it in neutral it acts like drive and reverse acts like park, drive and low gears are still normal, any idea as to what can cause this??? checked fluid and it looked like it might be a bit overfilled can this be cause of problem? im running stock 235 and powerglide tranny, only mods are its been converted to 12 volt and electric fuel pump other than that all other mechanicals are stock, thanks

2. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

It may have burned the clutches but more than likely popped a snap ring from a clutch pack. Where u at in the middle east obviosly home right know. I'm there also !

3. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I didn't really explain that. When the clutches burn they weld themselves together and snap rings come off and strange things happen. Should be an easy rebuild if ur mechanical.

4. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

Damnit, was hoping for something simple, my funds for the car are done right now, thanks for the quick reply though, I'm working outta bahrain over there right now, I go back on the 22nd, I'm on RnR right now, where are you at

5. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

is that the only cause for this??

6. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Balad working as a mechanic, if you can do the work yourself it won;t cost much at all. I build a lot of torque flights when I'm home and I am told a glide is much much easier. Are you in the military or contractor?

7. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

It's common on other trannys might be something else someone on here knows but it has been the case everytime I have seen it.

8. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

You would think someone else would help a brother out and chime in!!!

9. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

thanks mopar you been a big help, and im in the army

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The early, cast iron Powerglides, had a low and a reverse BAND. The aluminum Powerglides don't have a reverse band; instead, they have a reverse clutch. I'd be checking the adjustment on BOTH bands before tearing into it. It may very well need rebuilding, but I'd check into that first. Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Are your sure the shifter isn't just out of adjustment?

12. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

sorry to bring this back up but im finally stateside and i'll be heading back to cali where my car is at and was wondering where in socal i might be able to get this looked at if i cant fix myself also its an automatic sorry if i didnt say that before

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

14. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

thank you! its awesome just here enjoying my wife and 5 month old son, its great! trying to see what im gonna do with this tranny, even if its an automatic can the "shifter" be out of adjusment?

15. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

thank you! its awesome just here enjoying my wife and 5 month old son, its great! trying to see what im gonna do with this tranny, even if its an automatic can the "shifter" be out of adjusment?

16. r8odecay

r8odecay

He's talking about he shift linkage, if it is loose or sloppy or bent or out of adjustment or gummed up or whatever, you may not be getting full engagement and putting the trans in proper
    Here is the clue:

"when i put it in neutral it acts like drive and reverse acts like park"

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

It sounds like the shift linkage is slightly out of adjustment. It should be very easy to adjust. Try that first. While doing the adjustment also check the color of the transmission fluid. If orange or turning to gray, you could have a bad internal part. If red, then the adjustment might do the trick. Good luck.

18. Cruiser

Cruiser

Maybe a simple as the modulator went out, have a good tranny guy check it out.

CRUISER :cool: