Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration War Paint!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Those are cool.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are awesome, its too bad that these things are dying out in todays military. I still have my Parachute School patch,
    'Knowledge dispels fear'

Doc.

PS, Did you get them?

4. Those are so dang cool Ryan. I love that kind of stuff. I like seeing guys build cars with the WW2 warbird slant. the two seem to go together well.
    Mark

5. Koops

Koops

A stack mo' of that kinda artwork here: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?category=INSIGNIA%20&page=displaysubcats&catid=37

Some cool 'Duds' to suit Trad styled Rodders can be had on this site too. This company, Aero Leathers, make/supply some of the finest reproduction 'period' leathers available. I personally wear and hard, a swell A2 jacket sans anykinda insignia. Insignias are cool, but do consider and respect the 'meaning' and 'purpose' of why these things were worn and created. They're (insignia art work) always a great inspiration though.

6. Koops

I wish you had not put that link to aeroleatherclothing.com. Now I am going to have to try and explain where all my money goes! It's difficult enough hiding the amount my truck owes me.

7. Had them on both cowl panels... only a couple guys knew what unit and the significance they represented...!

I took them off when everybody else started doing aircraft influenced cars that bordered on "Art Car" and I didn't want to disgrace a real historical significance of that particular military unit!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

this is my grandfathers...
    78th lightning division
    WWII

Attached Files:

• 090.jpg
      090.jpg
      File size:
      439.5 KB
      Views:
  9. On the newest Roadster.

Attached Files:

10. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I have always loved nose art. It was sign of the times that are long gone and it's a shame.

11. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

i wouldnt say long and gone, every now and then during certain deployments they let us decorate the aircraft with some nose art. but you are right the times are passing and theyre getting more strict about it.

12. Terry

Terry

I have always loved nose art. There is something about it that really makes me to stop and study it, wondering what was going through the artist mind at the time.

My favorite is still the piece I use as my avatar

Thanks for posting these!

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pretty damn cool! Love that old WWII art!

14. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

I agree -- you shouldn't use it unless you are actually honoring that unit and those who served in it, and you know about the major actions they were in, their weapons, their casualties, etc. Most of us have a relative who served.

If it's just decoration, find something else. Hotrodding is about creativity -- get creating!

15. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

So cool! Great stuff. I've always liked the hot rods with the aircraft theme. Thanks for sharing.

16. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

This one is my favorite...

Its a bomb...riding ...a bomb!

genius.

Attached Files:

• 7-4.jpg
      7-4.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  17. My favourite kinda art - EVER. Have the Bumblebees throwin a bomb on my B3.

Thanx for puttin this up Ryan.

Made my day !!

Rat

18. Woops.....

Rat

Attached Files:

19. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

That one was my favorite as well! Nothing more dangerous than a bomb riding a bomb!

20. 41woodie

41woodie

Always enjoyed nose art, and having been in the service some time ago (less PC nonsense) one of the units I was with had painted a mascot on their equipment. At the time Ford was using a Cobra snake rearing up as logo on Cobrajet equipped cars. The unit had armored Am-tracs so the side was a huge bill-board. One of the guys painted a similar Cobra equipped with tracks on each of our tractors. Most amtracs were just for transport but ours had turrets with 105mm howitzers w/automatic breeches so we felt like advertising how "bad" we were.
    Some of the nose/patch art is kind of amateurish but it was a sign of good morale if a unit displayed pride. On the other hand some of it was very good and I've understood that Disney studio did renderings for some units during WWII. Somewhere I have a photo of one of our tractors with the art on it, have to scrounge around and see if it turns up.

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a couple of those are WW1 emblems. very cool.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

23. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This stuff is beyond words. I liked all of them . Thanks for the research and sharing it with us

J.Lockwood

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Those are way cool....I've always prefered the "rougher" art stuff over the really "nice and perfect" stuff.....if that makes sense.
    One of the reasons I hand painted my own on the side of my lil' truck....

Say, you worked at a custom bike shop???? What kinda bikes? If ya don't mind....

25. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

You are correct. There are quite a few examples in Ryan's post.

26. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

The well done ones are beautiful, but the crude ones make me think of someone overseas that had a scrap of canvas and some basic scrounged up "art supplies".

I prefer the crude ones.

The flying satan with wings may be finding a home on my O/T '67 MGB GT racer i'm wanting to build...

27. spot

spot
    from usa

Man I love nose art and love those patches. Been toying with the idea of nose art for the tow rig I'm building. These gave me inspiration.
    thanks for the bump!

28. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

talk about awesome images. i think i'm gonna have to pull out the book on nose art that i got from wingnutz

29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Some of those units still exist. The "Hat in the Ring" squadron has heraldry that goes back to WWI, and is still an active fighter squadron in the World's Finest Air Force. Very cool stuff.