Register now to get rid of these ads!

want to put a 76 dodge 318 into a 53 dodge pilothouse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Jun 17, 2009.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

hey all - it's been a while. i was going to scrap my 53 pilothouse project after i traded a bike for a 67 dart /6. i love the dart but the /6 is a bit weak. so i found a donor 76 dart with a slightly pumped up 318 that i can drop right into the 67. that frees the entire 67 /6 driveline up for its new home in the 53 pickup.

first question is will i need special motor mounts or anything or can i use whats off the 67? i dont want to destroy the 67 k member as if i want to put the dart back to stock some day. the dodge already has a rusty hope disk kit.

thank you everyone.
    - jasonu

2. neverwinter

neverwinter

- jason (my daughter added the "u" at the end of my name")

3. 73RR

73RR

...the title says that you are using the 318, but then you write about using the 225...hhhmmmm

Either will fit but the 318 is going to be easier. Keep in mind that the 'swapping' does not stop with the engine. The stock trans has to go (not strong enough) and then the rear axle follows (no e-brake). Now you are dealing with a 12v engine so you will either change all to 12v or use a split system with 2-6v batteries in series.
    Check with guys at www.p15-d24.com I am sure there are posts/pics available on the details.

My $0.02

4. wheredoldcarsr

wheredoldcarsr

Get ahold of Shumaker or Shumacher one of those you may want to ggogle the name they make motor mounts so you dont have to change anythinything RG