Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Month CHEAP and EASY Steering column (under $20)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppintops, Dec 15, 2008.

1. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Ok, I have had a few guys saying they can't find these bearings, so I went on a search and found even better one. These are SEALED and you can find them in your hometown.

They are flanged like the ones I use and are 1 3/8 OD and .75 ID. They are for LAWNMOWERS, I told you cheap and easy,lol. Here are random part numbers and interchange numbers.

ARIENS 05416200
    ARIENS 05408900
    ARIENS Most 21" walk behind mowers

BUNTON PO209
    BUNTON PLO941

BUNTON 410-350-5 caster wheels

Case C12110

CUB CADET 384881-R91
    CUB CADET 384881-R94
    Dixon 8167

Dixon 9543

GRAVELY 011193
    GRAVELY 036778
    JOHN DEERE AM35443
    JOHN DEERE AM118315

JOHN DEERE 100 and LX series, 410-350-5 caster
    MTD 741-0141
    MTD 941-0141
    SNAPPER 1-1807
    SNAPPER 7011807

TORO 110513
    TORO 25-1210

Now spending 2 minutes on ebay I found them for $5.99 a pair. Maybe you can find them cheaper.

2. Thanks for bumping this back up, i had not seen it before.
    I was sitting in the T tonight (not making any engine noises) trying to work out steering columns, box location etc. Perfect timing!

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Shit, I thought it was Tech month when I saw this thread, then I looked at the date. Good tech, tho. Oh well, a boy can dream...

4. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Liar :D Its ok, you are safe here.

5. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

6. Just did this on a mates A Bone - but I used a GM collapsible steering shaft with a 1"OD and 48 spline end.

This was added to a joint that accepeted the 48 spline shaft and a 3/4" DD connection.

Easy, neat and strong.

And safe.

Nice tech/work !!

Rat

7. RAY With

RAY With

Great article and tips.A nice simple solution to steering needs.

8. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I just did this one per this tech article and I mocked it up tonight. I still need to get a steering wheel and a U-Joint to finish it up, but I'm well on my way now. Thanks for this Tech Article!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Kickass, made my evening with you posting that. Thanks. :D

10. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

No, thank you! Very informative and you were not kidding when you said cheap and easy. I bought 4 bearings for $13 from the bearing supplier (enough for 2 columns)and everything else was free from my friend and his dad because they had the parts as left-overs laying around their shop except the pipe. That pipe was the hardest part to locate but in the end I had one in my garage that actually came with the house - it was laying behind the storage building when I moved in here. I had actually cut a piece of it off and used it to lift my body off and on the frame earlier, and the piece I cut off was almost exactly 30" long and was the perfect diameter for the bearings!

I hope others that might have used this article post up also. It's good to get recognition for your work man! Congrats and thanks again!

11. I'm planning to modify an F-1 column I have for my model A project. I have a quick release hub, but it looks like I'd need to have some kind of collar at the top of the tube for the fixed part of the hub to turn against. Otherwise it's going to turn on the outside of the sealed bearing or the grind along the top of the tube instead. Any ideas how to rememdy that?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

We need the pictures !!

13. 69fury

69fury

x2!

14. daddio211

daddio211

This thread is nearly 2 years old and the original poster has been banned. I don't think we're going to see the pictures, which sucks, because I'd like to see them too!

15. Yeah sorry, just dragged up that thread from a tech search. What the original poster is saying is just press one of these bearings into the end of an existing column tube, or get some 1.5 " conduit and do it that way. It's exactly what's in most hot rod aftermarket columns, except they have a bearing retainer at each end for safety. It's a pretty easy concept.

What I can't grasp, is how to keep my steering shaft in place so that it doesn't want to slide down down inside the tube, causing my hub to rub (so to speak) at the top of the tube.

Any help would be appreciated.