Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bob Bogle, founder of the Ventures died today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hrm2k, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Ahh, my FAVORITE!

2. eye bone

eye bone

Damn… R.I.P.

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I used to de-warp records by placing a record between two thick (heavy) pieces of glass and placing it in the sun for a while. The length of time it takes to de-warp a record depends on how hot it is outside and how warped the record is.

4. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

I was going to say the same thing as rolleiflex.

You could try speeding up the process if you can swipe your wifes hair dryer. I wouldnt use a heat gun tho toooo much heat tooo fast.

5. 5window

5window

Giving FNG's a bad name. Look them up.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

One of my favorite groups when I was a teen. Bought their 45's and listened to them at every opportunity. Sad to hear of the passing of one of the group. I'll be 65 this September and a lot of my heros are either already gone or will be shortly. This part of growing old really sucks.

Frank

7. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try, I knew someone on a traditional hotrod forum would have a traditional record flattening method. I thought about the heat gun, then I remember "hey, the only thing I've really ever accomplished with a heat gun is meltin' shit..." I do have the ex's old tanning bed sucking up space in my basement, keeping that 220V outlet company 'til I buy a new compressor... :D

Hell, CD's are a bigger pain in the ass than records! Come to think about it, I don't have any device that can play a CD other than DVD players, and then I'd have to go jimmyin' around with the settings on the reciever (all the ones I have are way to scratched up to play anyhow), either MP3's or vinyl. :cool:

8. Mopar34

Mopar34

Another part of my younger life has gone away. The Ventures were among the best at the time. Always enjoyed their music, especially while riding in the car or at the beach. RIP.

9. skullhat

skullhat

sad to hear .

i used to go see them play at the palimino club in the 80's and 90's

them and rick nelson were the only ones that played there that i would never miss a show

skull

10. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

oh oh 75?that means im getting old too what a bummer,too many r leaving us,saw them and rockin robin and the wailers at the old spanish castle up there near seattle in the early 60s,what a group will miss them

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

I had the chance to open for The Ventures years ago. One of the worst mismatches in rock history. :) I was in a Ramones style punk band, then Evan Johns and the H-Bombs played, then The Ventures somewhere around Waldorf MD. I would like to say I was smart enough to realize who we were playing with around 1980-81...I was not. R.I.P.

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Stereo?! Thats for Rich Folk..I only have Mono.... lol..

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That sucks ! A Great band and the tunes will live forever !
    I still have the early LP's and still play them .

RIP Bob Bogle .

14. Jupiter Zone

Jupiter Zone

I grew up in the Dallas area as a kid, about as far away from either coast as you could get. Listening to the Ventures and The Beach Boys was some pretty exotic stuff.
    In the wee hours of the morning, parked out the lake, girl friend out past her curfew, the stars of a thousand tomorrows scattered across the night sky, and the Ventures coming from the eight track................ God bless all those who have left me such beautiful memories.

15. The Ventures...Knock Me Out!

Still have the first record I ever bought. The Ventures' "Walk, Don't Run '64" single. On the Dolton label. With picture sleeve.

The Ventures are responsible for my obsession with instumental music. Dixie Dregs. Pat Metheny. Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. Jeff Beck.

The only time I got to see them live was about the last 12 minutes of a show they were playing one night at the World's Fair in Knoxville, Tenn. Early '80s, I guess? I'd have gotten there earlier if I'd known they were on the schedule.

And they were the only band I recall that "Played Mosrite Guitars Exclusively", a fact that was proudly displayed on all their albums. I still don't know how to play guitar, but I still wouldn't mind owning a Mosrite.

If you doubt the Ventures' influence, check out some Junior Brown and Danny Gatton CDs, especially their covers of "Walk Don't Run".

16. havi

havi

I grew up listening to The Ventures, and later on learned to play along with the records. Matter of fact, yesterday I was cranking up some old Ventures tunes I had saved on CD. Then I read this today. Bummer!

17. S.F.

S.F.

NOO! that sucks. RIP. I listened to the ventures for 8 hours straight on my trip this weekend driving.

18. RIP. What budding guitar player didn't first learn one of their tunes? Sad.

19. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

I was just listening to my copy of "Play Guitar with the Ventures" this weekend. Great album that came with an instruction book. Saw them a few times - great memories.

20. Another of my hometown hero's gone. A sad day here in T-town.

21. chubbie

chubbie

my convertable is in storage.... I'll bet the 8-track in the player is .......the VENTURES!!!!
    God speed, bob Bogle

22. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Anybody have a picture of the OUTERLIMITS cover?

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

One of the first 8 track tapes I bought in 1966 to put in my Lear Jet 8 track player in my '57 Nomad was The Ventures. RIP Bob.

24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this one?

Attached Files:

25. McTullis

McTullis

RIP

My dad ONLY listened to the Ventures when i was growing up. If i was in a vehicle with him, that's what i listened to. I'm very thankful for it as I listen to them on an almost daily basis.

Perfidia, Diamondhead, Telstar, Walk Don't Run, Slaughter on 10th Ave and Journey to the Stars will forever be in the soundtrack to my life.

In fact, this has just inspired me to make a CD for my old man for Father's Day. RIP Bob.

26. McTullis

McTullis

Rad. My neighbor has a massive Ventures LP collection and the Ventures in Space is still my favorite cover art.

27. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Do you maybe mean the Out of Limits album? I thought the Outer Limits was just a song...

28. 1929rats

1929rats

Thats a terrible thing to hear....one of my favorite albums of all time was "live in japan" on the dolton label with a KILLER version of Caravan.....

attached below is the Ventures in space album cover as requested above, and a pic of the original owner, fred steele, taken last summer... I convinced him to get behind the wheel after a few beers, he stayed there for quite a while --- :) The steering wheel has been changed from the original album shot

Attached Files:

29. jangleguy

jangleguy

They were a big influence on me when I started. Always figured I'd get around to driving a few hours up the road and see 'em in their natural habitat some day... So this is another bitter lesson about procrastination.
    I'm scheduled to open for Dick Dale this fall, if he's feeling up to it. That'd be fun. Meanwhile, I'll be mourning the loss of another hero before I got to know him...
    RIP Bob.

Scotty