Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InMyBlood, Jun 16, 2009.

1. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

I always loved the look and sound of a Flatty. Now that I'm gonna be building my own custom rod I can't think of any other engine to use. The only problem I have is that I dont have a clue as to where I should start.... So far I'm thinking: Late Ford v8 (47-53), C-4 Automatic Trans, Edelbrock Performance Heads, Offenhauser Intake, Custom Headers(size unknown as of yet). If you see any problems, any improvements, or additions please let me know. I NEED HELP! This will be a daily driver so I want power, economy, and the ability to drive w/o overheating.
    Can I do it?

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Some prefer the later (48 thru 53 trucks) or passenger car (49 thru 53) motors where the water cooling passages were revised to force more water to the back of the block and then thru the heads, to the front and out to the radiator. If you go this route you definately need to consider changing the dizzy to a Mallory or MSD type for reliable timing.

I also don't see where you plan on a cam change which you prolly should also consider if you're adding high compression heads and multiple carbs. Nothing too wild or you'll suffer reduced torque in the low RPM range.

Otherwise consider finding a 59A crack free series block. The water outlets exit the top middle of the heads instead of the front.

Overheating on the flatties can be a problem if you don't start with clean cooling passages in the block and a good dizzy. They don't like to run retarded without overheating.

Hope this helps some

Jim

3. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

The auto trans behind the flatty will rob to much power from the engine and would prolly be sluggish.I would go with the t-5 5spd so you dont lose as much power through the drivetrain and then you would have an o/d which would help with your fuel economy.

4. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

I have a nerve problem in my arm that prevents me from being able to shift consistantly. I need an automatic no ifs ands or buts about it. Is there a better auto tranny for it?

5. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

Sorry guys I forgot to mention that the car is a slightly streached '27 T-bucket. In case that helps with any numbers or parts.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Flatheads can really use more than three gears...consider a modern automatic, like an AOD for the 59a, same or turbo 250 overdrive for '49-53. Allows you to have good gears for acceleration and highway too.

7. alleyoop392

alleyoop392

Here's my opinion........... I have been running flat motors for 35 years with over 100K miles logged. I run a 671 blown 276 8ba with over 40 k on it. No over heating. Clean, poke, prod, shake, and get all the sand and crud out of the base of the block. Use stock unmolested water pumps, (no extra 5/8th hole drilled in the back and that kind of stuff) and run only water as a coolant, if the temp. is above freezing.

My buddy built a 32 5 window for his wife with a c4 he did him self, and that thing is plain quick. He runs a quick change and just puts a highway gear set in for a trip. Been on the road 12 years.
    I would suggest a L100 cam. works good with any combo you throw at it. Get a good dist. and don't go past 21 degrees total advance. I would stay 7.5 to 8.5 on the comp.
    Good luck with T.
    Scot

8. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Ok, now I understand why ya need a auto.I would either go with a AOD ford trans,chevy 700r4 or 2004r.I would prolly go with the 2004r due to fact they are the same size as a turbo 350 and powerglide and the gear ratios of the 200-4R are: 2.74 first, 1.57 second, 1.00 third, .67 fourth.Which would allow for a low rearend ratio to get her going good.The gear ratio of a 700r4: 3.06 first,1.63 second,1.00 third and .70 forth.The AOD gear ratio:2.40 first,1.47 second,1.00 thrid and .67 fourth.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Note the .67 and .7 ratios...that means you can have tire frying gears and still cruise happily at 75.

10. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

Kelgar, is there a kit to mate them or will I need to fab one?

11. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Thats what im screamin' you can run a 3.73 or 4.11 rear and with a .67 or .70 od you could have fun and cruise easy down the hwy.

With 29" tall tires with 3.73 rears with .67 od= 2026rpm@70:D
    With 29" tall tires 4.11 with .67 od=2233@70:D

12. sdluck

sdluck

Try search option,this has been covered.

13. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

14. hotrod8

hotrod8

get a catalog from flatheadjack,, every thing flathead you can think of........

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There are adaptors that will fit any of the Chevy transmissions to late flatheads, and Flat o Matic to adapt Ford types to early or late.