Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag Roadsters............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

4. brandon

brandon

definently has the hot rod rake.....:D

5. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

THIS IS AMERICAN HISTORY!!!
    Totally awesome thread posts.

6. Many remember the pump house at the south end of the Pomona strip, but how many remember the orange grove at the south end that it fed water too? God I'm old! :eek:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. Here 'ya go Jeff. '62 Winternationals class final. Yeah, I won.

Attached Files:

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This thread has me drooling. Very cool examples of some cars that some of us have never seen. Keep it up!

9. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

awsome thread, bttt!

10. Fogger

Fogger

Kev, Wow thanks for the C&W pics. They were a great bunch of guys and ran hard with their Willy's and then this roadster. Been years since I've seen or heard from any of them. Great find, thanks again, The FOGGER

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thats a cool pic, thanks for sharing.

14. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Sorry Skip, may be getting a little O/T, but..cool none the less

<!-- google_ad_section_start(name=content) --> Larry Shinoda: Creator of the Ford Mustang Boss 302

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- function showCitation() { var cite = document.getElementById("citation"); if (cite.style.visibility == "visible") { cite.style.visibility = "hidden"; cite.style.position = "absolute"; } else { cite.style.visibility = "visible"; cite.style.position = "relative"; } } function hideCitation() { var cite = document.getElementById("citation"); cite.style.visibility = "hidden"; cite.style.position = "absolute"; &nbsp</script><http: auto.howstuffworks.com="" larry-shinoda.htm="">
    <center> [​IMG] But there was only so much he could support. Unfortunately, I made bold statements. When someone asked me, "What are your ambitions?," I said to be the first Japanese-American vice-president at Ford Motor Company. I don't think Gene Bordinat liked that.</center>
    <!-- dtl_id=347122 //--> Larry Shinoda brought to Ford a sense of no-nonsense car-guy cool. His work on the 1969 and 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 is all the evidence that statement requires.

Ford Vice President of Design Eugene Bordinat gave the always-outspoken Shinoda his first automotive design job, in 1954, only to see the new graduate of L.A.'s Art Center School leave Dearborn within a year. After a brief stint at faltering Packard, Shinoda was hired by General Motors design boss Harley Earl and was soon working with Bill Mitchell, who soon succeeded Earl, on futuristic concept designs -- and future Corvettes.

<table align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td><center>[​IMG][SIZE=-2]
    Larry Shinoda brought to Ford genuine car-guy sense,
    an eye for clean design, and an outspoken personality.
    See more pictures of the Ford Mustang Boss.
    [/SIZE]</center><center>
    </center></td></tr></tbody></table>Shinoda followed GM president and longtime friend Semon E. "Bunkie" Knudsen in jumping to Ford, in 1968, but both were fired after less than two years in a widely publicized shake-up. Even so, both left their mark on Mustang, the designer most famously with the fast, tight-handling Boss models of 1969-71. Shinoda and Knudsen went on to form RV maker Rectrans, then parted company in mid-1975, when Shinoda opened his own design business. Shinoda died in late 1997 at age 67. Here, in Shinoda's own words, is the story of his work on the Boss 302:

One of the first things I did on coming to Ford was straighten out the Boss 302. They were going to call it the SR2. They had all this chrome on it. They were going to hang big cladding on the side, big rocker moldings. It was going to be more garish than the Mach 1. They had a big grille across the back and a great big gas cap and fake cast exhaust outlets and big hood pins and a really big side scoop. I took all that off, went to the C-stripe decal and painted out the hood, did the rear spoiler and the window shades and front airdam. That vehicle ended up being a profit-improvement program. They only built a few, but they made money on each one.

<table align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td><center>[​IMG][SIZE=-2]
    Shinoda was instrumental in simplifying the design of the 1969 Boss 302.[/SIZE]
    </center></td></tr></tbody></table>Bunkie Knudsen and I knew that to capture some of the youth market you had to have street machines that would run like your race cars. Ford had never done that before, and obviously Knudsen wanted to beat the Z-28 Chevrolets at their own game. So that was my first task coming in there, doing show cars, and getting the Boss going. I knew what kind of horsepower the Z-28 had, where its strong points and weak points were. So I had to find out quickly what the Mustang was all about and what the new developments were.

And what they were working on was pretty much wrong. They had an engine with high horsepower but enormous ports, so the power was very, very peaky. They needed something with a much flatter torque curve. And they needed better vehicle dynamics. They were saying, "All it has to do is go fast." I said, "That's not really where it's at. The Z-28 gets through corners well because it handles well. And it accelerates well off the corner because it got through the corner faster, so you think it's got more horsepower than it does. Another reason it's going through the corner faster is aerodynamics. It has enough downforce in front, balanced with downforce at the rear. Your car has some downforce at the rear with a little built-in spoiler, but not in the front. And the suspension isn't quite right."

They said, "What do you know about it? You're a designer." I said, "I'm a designer, but I've also got common sense, and I know a little bit about vehicle dynamics." Ford at that point had never used their skidpad to check out dynamics. Their skidpad at the Dearborn test track was all torn up at the time. I got an appropriation to repave it.

The Boss 302 was the only 1970 Mustang to record higher model-year
    production. Sadly, the Boss 302 would not return for a third racing season.
    [/SIZE]
    </center></td></tr></tbody></table>I took some people in a company plane and flew them over the GM Proving Grounds. I said, "See that? It's Black Lake." "What's it for?" I said, "You'll see." Sure enough, here's Roger Penske's Trans-Am Camaro, the Sunoco Camaro, running on a skidpad. I said, "That's what you need. You play with aerodynamics, suspension, roll stiffness, and tires, and you find out what's going to get around there the fastest. Of course, you'll have to do some adjustments at the race track." In those days, most of the people in Ford's performance department didn't understand vehicle dynamics, which was kind of sad. The people at Chevrolet and, basically, Frank Winchell, wrote the book on that.

And as I said, I removed all the inappropriate things they were going to put on the Boss, including the interior. I think it saved quite a few dollars when we counted it all up. Don Petersen, who was in product planning at the time, got a big kick out of that. He said, "You trying to do our job for us?" I said, "No, just trying to do the job, period."

</http:>

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/larry-shinoda.htm

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  16. jremnant

jremnant

Best thread ever!!! Thanks for sucking up my entire morning. Keep em' coming, i gotta get out to the garage.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

18. Goldy

Goldy

These pictures, my son (G bones 32coupe) posted, are of my first dragster that I built while I was in high school. The car was a sprint car built in 1937 that was driven by Eddie Sachs. I purchased the racer, stripped it of its model B 4 cyl. dog clutch etc. installed a roll bar, 322 Nailhead Buick with 6 carbs, 39 ford trans with Lincoln gears, etc, etc. I ran two classes B/roadster and c/dragster. Now I am an old man and I am still drag racing a Nostalgia Funnycar and Top Fuel dragster, and help my son build hot rods. That sprint car was one of many race cars I built and raced since 1956. I am thrilled to be a part of this thread. Goldy
    <a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/luapdlog/?action=view&current=coupeandmustang0731.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. metalman

metalman

I'll join in. Local Albuquerque cars.
    353979406_rRy93-Th.jpg

471663234_HNW6R-Th.jpg

358002423_xeTFF-Th.jpg

353979525_VkGkn-L.jpg

EVL401 likes this.
  20. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Last year at Beaver Springs. Still had the original paint on it.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  21. Goldy

Goldy

That T is still owned and driven by Nick Nash, he is a great guy and loves to race. Back in the day he held the NHRA National record with that car. Goldy

22. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

23. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

24. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

Brown & Butkovich from Pueblo, CO. Powered by 478 Ford. Blue Metalflake ,27 Roadster. HRM was going to do feature article after Sept ,63 (this photo from) Anyone have more info on it?

Attached Files:

25. skywolf

skywolf

The Hughes Brothers B/Roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  26. Justin B

Justin B

Attached Files: