Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resitance range for Sun 260* Water Temp gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silent_Orchestra, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

What's the resitance range for the sending unit for a Sun 260* Water temp gauge?

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know the resistance but there are 3 sending units for it according to NAPA. I sent the two I was not using to another HAMBer last year.

3. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Did NAPA have them? What I thought of doing, is if I can find the resistance then I could possibly find a sending unit to match, because I'm not sure if the company that was repoping them still does, or if the ones they made were accurate.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

last year, I was having what I thought was an over heating problem. I went to NAPA. They had a listing for 3 different ones of which I already had one which was on the car. after some trial and error ( lots of errors actually )I found that the one in the car was the correct one for my gauge. It is a 2 piece unit with a long sending unit probe. I bought a digital tempature laser too verify the water temp as well as a radiator cap with a temp gauge built in.
    I don't know if this helps but that's what I did for my SW temp gauge
    Good luck

5. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Stewart Warner makes a sender for their own 260 degree electric gauge for $9.99 from Summit. There is a guy selling his own sender he supposedly had made on ebay for $125.00 but I swear it looks just like the SW one.

Sunpro makes no sender for these early 260 degree gauges that is accurate. The sender they still make is for their smaller 2" gauges which have a different range.

Sunpro does not own the rights to make or sell anything to do with the 2 5/8 gauges or the original Sun Super Tach's. A family member of the original Sun company will not release or sell them.

6. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

has anyone tried the SW sender with the Sun gauge? I read a post from a while back and the some one said they were getting one...But no results on if it worked out or not.

7. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

come on...I can't be the only one who wants to run or is running one of these damn things...

8. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Original senders pop up on ebay every so often but as you know they are expensive or you can try the guys $125 dollar version. Hope you don't have to wait a few more years when the 70's trend's start to get more popular.

Here is the set that was in my Mustang-original '70's ISCA show car. I just put them back in the car temporaly to show how they are supposed to look. I plan on putting the vacuum gauge on the right hand side and the oil/water slipped down a little farther than they were.

I think these gauges were the prettiest gauges ever made.

Attached Files:

9. dbradley

dbradley

Just go to Radio Shack and get a 100 ohm and 1k ohm pot. Try the 100 ohm first. Power up the gauge and run the signal through the pot to ground. Crank it up and down and watch the gauge. Record resistance at 0 and 260. Then get a sender with those specs. (You may need the 1k ohm because some OEM gauges get into the 250 ohm range I think)

10. bob41

bob41

did you try vintage rod components , they list the sending unit to fit sun gauge 1002,1003, cp7956 . cost is $12.05

11. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Wow, those do look really nice, Yeah I love the way they look too.

I'll try that.
    I'll look into that too.