Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust manifold gasket material

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Captain Freedom, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

What I want to do is make some exhaust pipe flanges, weld the pipes to/in them, and have the flanges bolt to the manifolds and seal like headers do.

What kinda material should be used for the gasket?
    Copperplate, aluminum flashing, welding blanket, oven mitt, asbestos shingles?

The parts stores don't have anything (plus they probably all hate me), and I want to go riding tonight. What about High-temp silicone?

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Soft copper always works.

3. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

Hi-temp silicone is what Sanderson recommends.

4. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

As costly as thier stuff is, they shouldn't need anything to seal them :rolleyes:

5. undergroundss

undergroundss

I get 12" x 28.5" sheets of exhaust gasket material at NAPA. #2499 (Fel Pro, "Pro Ramic"). It is perforated sheet metal between layers of composite material. It can be cut with sheet metal shears. I use a Dremel with a cutting disc for the small, tight areas. Permatex copper high temp spray works well when applied to both sides of your custom gaskets.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Undergroundss - when you use the Fel Pro exhaust material, do you still need a soft metal wrapped around either side? thanks.

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

I used something from Jeg's on the BBC lakester. It came in a sheet and you draw it out and cut it. I used the gasket making hole punches for the radiuses and hand sheears for the straight cuts. Looks like factory and it was a paper kind of material on the outside of a metal perforated core. Nice stuff. They have been on for 3 years and the material is great. We take the headers off a lot. We had no luck with premade gaskets that didn't fit right and always blew out where there wasn't enough support.

8. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I did what you're planning to do to bolt my pipes to rams horn manifolds. I used Mr. Gasket header gasket material. Anyone that sells their header gaskets should have or be able to get it in sheets.

Gary

9. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

I used the Napa /Fel-pro "pro ramic" material. It worked great!! Thanks much

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Flatout Gaskets in Illinois can make a copper custom gasket for you

11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I had a set of headers that I couldn't get to seal no matter what. One night I needed to get them back on and didn't have anything to use as sealer or gasket. So I "temporarily" installed them using 100% silicone bathtub caulk. Three years later when I sold the car the calk was still sealing the headers.

It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

12. undergroundss

undergroundss

I did not use any additional materials.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have several cars with headers and I use RemFlex gaskets. http://catalog.remflex.com/
    No retightening of bolts, great seal, long lasting. I hate replacing header flange gaskets, so I really don't care how much I have to pay to prevent the hassle of doing it over in a couple of years.

14. What wrong with a regular old doughnut gasket? They never leak or fail unless you fuckemup or the bolts rot away?

Or no gasket
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You ever seen a V band clamp? I just used these on my 34's exhaust system. No gasket, perfect seal, easy removal and assembly and takes up less room. Weld the machined ends to your pipes, slip on the clamp and tighten. The clamp pulls the two pieces together. I used them on my headers, mufflers and tail pipes.
    upload_2016-7-20_13-30-18.png

H380 likes this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Turbo Diesel Clamps !

17. Great clamps, don't work for shit on manifold end though.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very true, that's what the remflex gaskets are for.