Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 ford coupe in bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Jun 14, 2009.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

as many of you may know, we lost my dad at the end of last summer.
    he had been working with dave simard of east coast custom for about 15 years on this project. when money was tight, dave would just set it aside for dad and when money was good, he'd plug away on it.

dave had finished about all the work that dad wanted him to do until he decided on the direction of the project. all along, dad thought he would use a TCI chassis, stage 3, all the stainless bits, ifs, etc. but then he let my influence with my love of the old stuff creep in, and decided to sell that TCI chassis and get something a little more...ahem...appropriate...for this car. but finding a buyer for that chassis proved to be difficult at the time. so progress slowed to a halt. so now, about 10 months later, we brought the car home. we don't quite know what will happen with it. but i can tell you that if i get the chance to finish it, it will be done right. in the meantime, i'll let you take a gander at how it sits now.

for some reference on the 5 window project of his that i am building, you can look here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294395

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Mark, you are doing something good for your father by keeping that 3 window till you are at a place in your life that you can do something with it. That is some pretty sheetmetal.

Now lets get back to the regularly scheduled program, How is the five window looking?

Jeff

3. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Nice looking car, looks flawless.

4. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Beautiful car, I'm sure that you will do your father proud ! Good luck with it.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's a nice one all right! I particularly enjoyed the four deck lid lock tabs welded to the rear quarters.
    Don't let this one get away...ever. You'll never get a chance to have a better one.

6. are you messing with us :) looks great john

7. brady1929

brady1929

sorry about your loss, but, what a beautiful car!

8. Greezy

Greezy

That is one beatiful body. Hope you get 2 finish it, someday.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is a great looking 34 3 window. What a legacy for your Dad, and I'm sure that he is smiling down on you.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I don't know what you have (if anything) to protect that Simard messaged sheet metal but if it were mine I'd give it a coat of Gibbs brand penetrant. that's just too georgous a body to let the rust gremlins get to. If you dont' know about Gibb's Brand go to Roadsters.com for the full story. You won't be sorry.

Frank

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  11. gt281stang

gt281stang
    from Pryor,Ok

Sorry for your loss, very nice car. I will probably be in the same boat before long, it looks like my father in law may be in full liver failure, and I will have to finish his 40 Chevy coupe for my wife.

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

That car looks so great(!), how can you stop the momentum now? Go man, go!!!

13. rick finch

rick finch

That body is SO pretty, Dave Simard is a wizard! Keep the faith, just keep plugging away on it and make your dad proud.

14. Uptown83

Uptown83

Wow.. I wish my body was that nice

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, jeff, hopefully we'll get to stick this one out and save it for later. it's up to my mom though.

as for the 5 window, it's been on a brief hiatus while the wedding edges closer, and i have been working on the thunderbird soft top. but that is done and home. and we'll continue with the 5 window project as soon as i am back from my honeymoon...

16. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Wow incredible metalwork! It would be nice to hang on to it and finish it.

17. Wow Mark...Stunning! There's no rush, everything in life worth a damn is worth waiting for. Do it right!

18. DMFB

DMFB

Sorry about your loss, I'm sure you'll make him proud. Never let that beauty get away man.

19. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

wow, That body looks incredible. I could just stare at it forever.

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you can get married any time man... less talk more work :D

seriously tho, its gotta be hard to work on a "legacy" kinda car but i'm sure you'll do him proud man :cool:

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

not messing with you, john. it really is home.

i just don't know its final fate. time will tell if i get to finish it, or if it travels to some far off land.

22. Weasel

Weasel

There is something about a Model 40 three window that makes them look great stock or chopped - the balance seems to work out either way. Personally I prefer them stock height and full fendered.

That one is a keeper for sure and one that you should build one time and one time only. Your Dad will be riding with you in it every time you take it out, so do him proud. Take your time, do it right and do not follow fashion - that would be my advice. Timeless cars look as good twenty or thirty years down the road as they do today. They may not be 'in fashion', but they never go out of fashion. Dave Simard does beautiful work and has an eye. What does he say about the direction the build should take?

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

well, i think he was mildly horrified by the direction my dad was taking with the TCI chassis that he had chosen.

i'm not sure where Dave would go with it. but if i get to keep this one, it'll be y-block powered, with 47 rear, lincoln brakes, stock front end. lowered a touch with reverse eye springs, maybe a mildly dropped axle.

basically, i would put this body on the chassis i am building for the 5 window project referenced in the link in my first post on this thread. i would then sell that 5 window body to fund the rest of this project, since the body is so nice and deserves a good paint job...

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Your father must have been a special man. Having a body massaged by the master craftsman Simard is also special. I'm sure you will do your father right with this car.

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like to think so...

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

I hope your Mom get's used to looking at it. I know the association must be hard for her still. And your Mom is a ruler too.

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

haha, yeah, she's a rockstar. the town car crapped out on her, so she's been driving the '54 around. took it to church yesterday and scared all the old ladies with the glasspacks. haha

28. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

Screw paint... with a body that stunning, leave her bare with a clear coat.

29. belair

belair

Great car, General and congrats on the marriage.

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Better look again. The (lock?, locating maybe:confused:) tabs aren't welded to the quarters,they are welded to the deck lid. That way you can remove and replace the deck lid to check your progress on fitting it to the car. I agree about not letting it go, so........................one out of two ain't bad.:rolleyes:

Frank