Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

George, that geocities site is fantastic ! LMAO !

Yes, Al drove the car for me and won a feature at Islip. My friend, Johnny Coy also drove the car whenever I was broke ! Lots of history connected to that coach and memories of the fun and good times connected to Modified Racing in the 60's. Back then, it was about "brains and ingenuity" connected to recapped tires by Eddie Brunhoetzel. Win or lose, the night ended at the "Swizzle Inn" on Sunrise Highway.

2. Dr. John

Dr. John

Photographer unknown:

Gerry Chamberlain at Reading, Pa., 1972
    [​IMG]

Gerry Chamberlain's coupes on the trailer, '71 or '72
    [​IMG]

Gerry Chamberlain's asphalt Modified, 1970
    [​IMG]

Glenn Fitzcharles at Reading, Pa., 1972
    [​IMG]

Jim Shampine in a coach owned by Roger Treichler at Langhorne, Pa., 1970
    [​IMG]

Gary Iulg (Sanborn, N.Y.) races Ken Brightbill (No. 19 Camaro) at Langhorne, Pa., 1971
    [​IMG]

Charlie Jarzombek, approx. 1972
    [​IMG]

Movie star Paul Newman in a borrowed Modified on the road course at Daytona, 1974
    [​IMG]

Jack Duffy's ex-Buzzie Reutimann coupe, 1974
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. Dr. John

Dr. John

Dutch Hoag (seated in car) turned his Genesee Beer coupe over to Mitch Smith for the 1970 Langhorne, Pa., race.
    [​IMG]

4. Dr. John

Dr. John

Don Kreitz at Reading, Pa., 1972
    [​IMG]

Ed Pieniazek at Daytona, 1974
    [​IMG]

Photographer unknown

5. That last shot get a look at the front nose of that mod. Looks like a custom car designed by Barris or something.

6. boldventure

boldventure

The variety of design found on modifieds from "those days" is what always interested me. The designs were often real form follows function and not always the most pleasing to the eye but they certianly were not cookie cutter cars.

7. threeacesbuffalo

threeacesbuffalo
    from clovis,ca.

has any one have a photo of pete tingue,s 66 olds. Toranoto no.22 thanks threeacesbuffalo:)

8. Dr. John

Dr. John

Harry Moore at Reading, Pa., 1972. Photog unknown...
    [​IMG]

9. neal78

neal78

Hogan's Goat: We say "hogan's goat" all the time up here in Vt. That's a great video of you Oakland Valley!! Thanks for posting!! Neal

10. George M.

George M.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember it, in those days they handicapped the car rather than the driver. So DeAngelo would mysteriously have trouble with his car and he would hop into your car or another and instead of starting in the rear, he'd start on the pole and win the feature. Pretty smart! I think they later changed the handicap rule to the driver to put an end to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. George M.

George M.

He loved playing the bad guy. My sister-in-law "hated" him so much that she would go down to the fence and boo him and yell "you stink" and give him the thumbs down. And what did Al do? He blew her kisses and she went nuts. Sometime later she ran into him in a store and he said "don't I know you?" And she said he may have seen her at the track and they talked awhile. She came home feeling bad, because she said "he's really a nice guy". Pretty funny.

12. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You know George, we were so lucky to see what we saw, today it just isn't the same.

13. George M.

George M.

you can say that again!!!!

14. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. It was a very special day for me and I'm still laughing about it. Today, I won my feature race at Wall Stadium and a fellow came up to me and said "hey, aren't you the old man who won his birthday race at Oakland Valley". I love it !

15. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

George, you're correct about the handicapping. Guys hollared like hell when Al jumped in my car. Didn't bother me. I used to give up lunch to buy new plugs.

16. jceracer138

jceracer138
    from Texas

OK......I love you guys!!!!!! I am a "youngster" probably to most of you. (24 yrs old) And I LOVE DIRT TRACKIN'!!!!!! As a racer myself I greatly appreciate all these photos. I can only wish i was alive when racing was the way it used to be. These drivers are all idols to me and I just wanted to say thank you.

"!!!!CHECKERS OR WRECKERS!!!!"

17. George M.

George M.

I was one of the guys, a kid in the stands, hollering! LOL!
    I was a huge Axel Anderson fan!

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Jimmy Kerwin, when he was a kid, now that was a huge Axel Anderson fan. :D

And, oh yeah Jimmy was a great guy. He deserved a medal for all the crap he used to take.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  19. allstarracing

allstarracing

Hello. I raced from 1965 until 2006 and would like to post pictures of some of my cars from the 60's and 70's if it would not offend anyone. I love the coupes and supers. My cars are late models and NASCAR sportsman. I know they aren't coupes but aqre from the same era. I raced in the midwest and Calif..They ran the coupes as a second class when I was in Calif. so I was around them for a few years. I have run both dirt and asphalt. Also we ran modifieds at El Cahon Calif. and in the southern Kentucky area. They were run what you brung and hope you brung enough.

20. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

It won't offend me. This is my 50th year in racing. I've driven injected small blocks, big blocks and now a 25HP little car. If it wants to rip your head off your neck, it's a race car.

A racer is a racer, is a racer ! Show us and be proud !

21. BKHRS

BKHRS

Hi, I've been a guest for about 6 months of so, and have really enjoyed these posts. I grew up back east but only made a couple of races, Seekonk and the 78 Spring Sizzler. They did make lasting impressions. I live on the West Coast now and have gotten (actually you never really do) out of hot rods and into modifieds. I'm building a 41 Willys coach, recently bought an ex Tony Membrino/Leo Matte #92 owned Riverside Park raced car as a runner and last year purchased a Czarnecki Bros. (basketcase car) #20 Riverside Park car driven by Jack Lecuyer which was sold and ran as #555 at Islip. If anyone could share any history on these cars/drivers I would greatly appreciate it. Oh Dr. John you are the one that pushed me over the edge with your Lancaster book to get back into these.
    Barry

22. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

Barry, search the web for Andy Scopazzi. California a big place, but he bought the Don Stives #3 red chevy coupe that ran East Windsor and Flemington. He also owns an original Dale Earnhardt # 3 from RCR and a #20 Tony Stewart original. He had Don fly out from Florida to drive the coupe in a RWYB vintage race.

23. George M.

George M.

I knew Jimmy, he was a good guy and took a lot of abuse, for sure. But he did a lot for racing and the racers.

24. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

He truly loved racing.

25. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is a picture of one of my first cars. 1966-67. Ran oval, figure 8 and dirt with it. I have restored it and taken it to several rod runs and shows.
    won Carl Casper custom auto show vintage racecar class in 2002 Louisville ky.

[​IMG]

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That must be how it looked at the beginning of the season. Nice to see stuff from other parts of the country.

27. allstar that is one sweet ride there!!!

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is a 64 ford John Yost bought and I crewed on in Calif. Raced at San Gabriel(later 605) speedway and the famous Ascot park in Gardenea Calif. It was an old NASCAR Grand national from the Carolinas then a west coast Grand national. we ran it as a NASCAR sportsman. This picture is exiting turn two at San Gabriel 1970.[​IMG]

29. allstarracing

allstarracing

I Drove this car for Walter Smith and Bill Fry at Ascot park, Saugus, And San gabreil speedways in 1969-70 in hobby class. Ran best of second at Ascot but won several at the other two. The coupes would run on the same nights. Thats me on the front fender on the back stretch of Ascot.

[​IMG]

30. allstarracing

allstarracing

This is the Nascar sportsman I brought back from Calif. 1972 to Kentucky and ran as a late model at Fairgrounds motor speedway Louisville Ky. and this picture is at Beech bend Park, Bowling Green Ky. Swapped a little paint but won this night 1974

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.