Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need to source/cobble a lower radiator hose bypass - any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by montclaire, Jun 13, 2009.

1. montclaire

montclaire

I pulled this off the Willys when I sent the radiator to be repaired, and I'd really like to replace it as it's pretty thin and while one end could be saved, the other is nearly gone.

The OD is 1 and 1/4, and the heater hose nipple is a 5/8ths. Tip to tip is about 9 inches.

Is there another application I could get one of these off of? I was thinking maybe I could even build one with some copper pipe?

I don't think it has to be an exact copy, I just have to get it close and the rest I can fudge with the hose.

Speedway has a couple pieces of coolant tube, but one is straight with I think a 1/4" bung, and the other is angled but with no bung or fitting.

The heater nipple is also canted a bit, hard to see in the photos.

Ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. montclaire

montclaire

Is this something a muffler shop could probably come up with? I'm debating buying one of the speedway pieces and having a bung welded in, but they have a notation that they aren't even aluminum anymore due to production costs, so I'm not even gaining anything in terms of materials.

3. skunx1964

skunx1964

take it to a muffler shop, that what id do...

4. Scorch67

Scorch67
    from Omaha, Ne

yeah, go stainless have the muffler shop bend you up a piece of stainless from summit and any restaurant service company can weld stainless or direct you to someone who can.

5. montclaire

montclaire

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. At least the stainless would hold up better.

I'll let ya know how I make out. I might have to source the heater nipple for them, but that's no big deal.

6. bolt_boy_49

bolt_boy_49
    from USA

it looks to me like a piece of muffler with a pipe welded in. I would just use some copper pipe. you could the get the copper chrome plated (if thats your style). the copper will also hold up to the water/ coolant better than steel. what ever you do make sure you put a flare or a ring on both ends so the hose wont blow off under pressure.
    Al

7. i think you are going to have to make it. the 1-1/4" OD kinda stumps me , none of the places i get mandrel bends from seam to have that size. you could search the net ,but to speed things up i guess i would get some 14-16 gauge 1-1/4 OD tube and bend it with heat after packing it with DRY sand and capping the ends. i know that sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.. a couple hours and you will be done. then adding the 5/8 nipple shouldn't be a big problem

1-3/8 bends are available , maybe you could make that work?

8. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Not a tough part to make. Take a look here http://www.burnsstainless.com/ go to aluminum tube and look at the bends. Buy the appropriate bend trim to the correct shape, then take it to a race car fabricator to roll beads on the ends and weld in the heater fitting. A turbo specialty shop could probably do this for you as well. Don't for get to use coolant for corrosion protection with aluminum parts in a cooling system. Good luck.

Craig

9. Muffler shop, looks like some hot rodder way back hacked the hump out of a tail pipe off an import. I'd take a short piece of pipe to make the nipple out of with me and have the muffler man weld it in right there. Should be a 10 minute job for him. I like the idea of running stainless too. But make sure you run some sort of sacrificial metal in your cooling system to stave off electrolysis.

10. montclaire

montclaire

Believe it or not, I think it's factory. I've seen pics of other cars with the same thing.

11. montclaire

montclaire

Well I've struck out so far - first two shops I had in mind don't have bending dies for 1 1/4...

12. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

hit NAPA and look for GM rad. hoses in the catalog, newer o/t stuff, the way the newer stuff is set up, the lower hose has a plastic 'coupler' molded into it with a 2nd hose coming off of it to go to the 'fill/expansion' tank, i want to say '00ish malibu with a 4cyl, or maybe late 90's pontiac with a quad 4 has something like i described.

shot in the dark, but might help.

13. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

like this maybe,

[​IMG]