Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Fairlane -- What Wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txag01, Jun 12, 2009.

1. txag01

txag01

I have a 1964 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop that I am currently working on. I am finishing my subframe connectors and about to start on the minitub, and it has got me to start thinking about wheels.

I was looking through the Thunderbolt thread, and I am considering running the Radir tri-ribs. What other wheels would be 60's correct and look good on a hot rod fairlane without breaking the bank?

2. Chrome steelies with narrow bands all the way

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

custom width steelies in the back and 4" cragars or et 5 spokes (new or old) up front...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. monsterflake

monsterflake

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

7. Chrome OE steelies all the way

8. monsterflake

monsterflake

you've got to buy originals to get 14 inchers. there isn't much of a tire selection in that size...

(cragar sells new 14s)

9. heaps of tyre selection here but no original wheels thanks anyway man

10. txag01

txag01

Thanks for the Pic's Monsterflake. I do like the look of the rockets. My only concern is that I have disc's up front and as I recall the hub center on the rotor is 2.25" diameter.

Can someone post a pic of the Chrome steelies? I am probably going to end up with a 8.5 to 10 in wide wheel in the rear.

11. Torque Thrust wheels, it nice to get real originals with straight spokes, I think it the ultimate in 60's wheel for an in between custom to muscle type car. I just scored some new round spoke "D" but will keep fishing for the originals. DO a search on these for the extensive threads to learn about them.
    I know I'll get hell for running the newer TTD's, but it isn't lame save some money now, and still get a similar look.
    There is also new copies called the Torque Thrust Original TTO and a copy of the T70.

I'm running 15x6- will be looking for some 215/60R15's all around, but am still considering other tire sizes, BTW I've got a 64 fairlane wagon all this is going on.
    For tire I'm gonna order from tirerack.com, will post info if it all works out.

12. They might be a little newer vintage than 64 but they look pretty good
    [​IMG]

13. Depends on what 'look' you're going for.....

Chrome reverse in the back and skinny Cragars up front?
    or how about
    widened steel wheels with the correct 'dog dish' hubcaps

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

Torque Thrust "D"s are perfect for period and, while once quite common, are seldom seen these days. A mild forward rake with a combo of 14" front and 15" rear with big 'n' little blackwall radials might be just the ticket for your Fairlane - and it'll drive great, too.

Just my $.02 :)

Attached Files:

15. Astro's work too

Attached Files:

16. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

I'm partial to the wide rear mags and front spokes found on great old gassers. I really like the high-angle Fueler rears and Gasser fronts found on Monsterflake's Team III link.

The rear Fuelers could do without that silly bolt in the middle of the spoke.

17. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

torque thrusts up front with painted steelies out back or tt's all the way around !

18. 61TBird

61TBird

:D:D:D:D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'd run painted wheels with the 5-spokes, but rally america (wheelkid here) will make you chrome ones, too.

20. We don't agree too often but monsterflake and I agree on this style,,:D HRP

[​IMG]

21. havi

havi

Probably found in another thread, but if you want another opinion beside the TTD's or baby moons, this would be it:[​IMG]

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

23. got them on today..
    I'm running 15x6- with some some 215/60R15's all around, yeah, yeah, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for vintage stuff too. I need about an inch or 2 of lowering inthe front for the right rake!
    Will go to discs soon so these will work out for me.

Attached Files:

24. havi

havi

These cars don't like to be dropped too easily. But either a Shelby drop or strut kit should do it.

25. chris55

chris55

x2 perfect.