Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Josh - That looks like the car I saw displayed at the Hershey Museum 2 years ago.:)

[​IMG]

2. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

It lives in the basement of the IMS museum.

Attached Files:

3. Mitch G

Mitch G

From Ed Watson's USAC Midget year books 1971 Edition, 1970 Astro Grand Prix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Same book
    [​IMG]
    From the 1972 Edition, covering the 1971 season
    [​IMG]
    Also from the 1972 Watson midget yearbook.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  4. Mitch G

Mitch G

Can anyone verify that this midget was built by A.J. Watson?
    [​IMG]
    From the program for the 1972 Astro Grand Prix
    [​IMG]
    From one of Ed Watsons midget year books.
    Seems to me at one time I heard A.J. Watson built one midget, and Parnelli Jones owned it, and Bobby Unser drove it a couple times.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, you keep proving you are a true artiste.

6. gnichols...the gear box is a lightened 3 speed Saginaw.When I started the car I only had the body panels....so after drawing out some of my ideas on the back of a cigarette packet ,and pinching ideas from Watson,CAE Kustis,etc...I went to see Jim at Valley Gas Speed Shop....he is an old drag racer and knew just what I was aiming at.The wheel base is 95 inches and the idea was to build the car with as many '0800' parts from the street rod industry.

7. jimg12

jimg12

I always heard that the car Mel Kenyon won his first USAC championship in [ it was owned by Willard Coil of Washington Courthouse, Ohio] was built by A.J. Watson. It was a number 14. Do not know where it is now.
    Roy, how about asking A.J. the next time you see him?
    Jim Graybeal

8. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

I have made a post in the Hamb forums that we could use some help on. I know a lot of oldtimers are in here so please check it out. It's called Racers At Rest

Thanks

9. I'll say one thing, you have good taste.

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great Looking project! Can't wait to see it finished.

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well.. Your half right! This is actually the car I drew it off of, but I had to change a few things. I had to use a 27' Chevy frame and front cross member, and a 27 "T" cowl with vent.. then make it look like a MILLER (long story)

But!! I love the colors on that #3 car, so that's how I drew it! :D

Plus, There pretty much the same car.. same era, same builder.

Attached Files:

12. Offy

Offy

Congratulations to Al Consoli and his dad for their induction into the Reading Fairgrounds Hall of Fame. Al has several shots and comments in this thread.

13. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Thanks for the heads up Offy, congrats to Al and his dad.:)
    PK

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Excellent!!

Well deserved.

--------------------------------

Saw USAC Midgets at Bloomington and Lawrenceburg this weekend. GREAT SHOWS!!

Plus, since the USAC sprinter's were parked, and all the big dogs had there midgets there.. most brought there sprint cars as well. Last night at Lawrenceburg HOFFMANS showed up!

they Won there heat and the Feature. ;)

JD

15. Thought you might like to see a few photos taken at last years Goodwood Festival of Speed.....not even the rain could stop the guys having fun..we love it when you come back to the 'mother land'!

Attached Files:

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

England and America. Two countries separated by a common language.

17. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

WCVR / Golden Wheels at Ephrata WA Sat nite. Engle-Stanko KK 2000 road test. A real treat to see and hear this car run and even cooler to pit next to it. I apologize for not getting a pic with the 16" Halibrands on it .:rolleyes: Unfortunately they were fitted with Old NOS Firestone pass car tires so this was the alternative. I'm sure some of you Eastern guys know all the history of this car and how it and three of it's buddies recently ended up on Left coast. Other than the mag starting to act up , a mushy washer in the air pump and a mickey mouse gasket on the fuel tank cap the car ran out real nice. This car could have easily ended as a part of another collection and never turned a wheel. Sitting in a lawn chair stareing at this car all afternoon, "priceless"

Attached Files:

18. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Some more pics from Ephrata WA Vintage. Encouraging turn out considering. 14 sprints, 11 midgets, 1 track roadster, 1 super modified. Camera went bad before I got to the midgets. Good variety of them though . 3 V8 60's, 2 Offys, 1 Sesco, 2 Chevy II's, 1 HAL, 1 Crosley 3/4..... We had the track all day Fri, then ran along with the modern midgets and 360 Sprint programs Sat nite.... Vint. cars in from WA, Ore, N CA., IDA,& Mont. I included the trailer picture to show that WA state is not all trees and rain.

19. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I'll try this again! Lost them on the previous post.Some more pics from Ephrata Wa Vintage. Encouraging turn out considering. 14 sprints, 11 midgets, 1 track roadster, 1 super modified. Camera went bad before I got to the midgets. Good variety of them though . 3 60's, 2 Offys, 1 Sesco, 2 Chevy II's, 1 HAL, 1 Crosley 3/4. Had the track all day Fri, then ran with the modern midgets and 360 Sprint Programs Sat nite. Vint. cars in from WA, Ore, N CA., IDA, Mont. Included trailer picture showing thatWA state is not all trees and rain.

Attached Files:

20. racer5c

racer5c

what did the black 25 have for an engine?

Damn check out the bell crank on the steering on the #21 King car

21. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Its a wonder you got them on here at all!! seems you havent taken the pictures until next year!!!! ;>)
    LOL
    aXe

22. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

To be really honest I don't know what the engine is. The car is owned by Del Mclure out of Portland. It is a late model Chev GMC DOHC 6 with Hillborns. He ran a Champ car team for a lot of years. His vintage champ car , Hemi Desoto w crossover Hillborn stacks has always been one of my favorites. They have been working the bugs out of this one for a couple of years and it is really running STRONG. With the injectors and exaust and a lot of stuff trimmed off the covers and block it is actually a pretty nice looking motor.

23. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Allright aXe, you shamed me into it. Got the wife to reset it some how for me. If it wasn't for digital cameras and computers there would probably be a lot more old guys posting on this thread. LOL

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Can't be sure if it's the same car, but some time back this engine was discussed here, and it does appear to be a late model Vortech I-6. (?)

Attached Files:

25. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I think that is the same car & engine. I think more is smoothed off and some of the anodizing removed now.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not long after the V-tech 6 came out, one of the hillclimb guys ran one up Pikes Peak. Had to be one the most badass sounding I-6s I've ever heard.

27. racer5c

racer5c

If only they could make the cam covers look like an offy

28. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'oldebob, 'Thanks a bunch for keeping us clued in. The pictures are great. 'Recognize a few; The #21 Grant King championship dirt car is owned by a very personable gentleman from Oregon who also brings the car down for shows in California. Jerry Weeks has driven it and Parnelli Jones, himself drove the car to victory in the Roseville (CA) vintage meet in '07. And good to see one of the nicest, most generous of all gentlemen, Jerry Day, Mr. Ram Race Cars bringing #76. Jerry always was a master builder and his #76 car is restored to a perfect late '60's look, complete with the roll bar and low, rear tail pipes. Thanks again!

29. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I know this is not a pre-69 question, but i thought you guys, being at races, might have an answer; most all of todays Midget, Sprint, and Champ Car drivers use black helmets.
    Are these specially built hats made for the most common impacts taken in these crashes, or is it just a fad?
    Last season we saw more than normal crashes resulting in closed head wounds, very serious brain injuries, etc.
    Im not so sure the new cage "hoops' are gonna make any big difference; what do you all think?
    My thinking is that maybe raising the minimum age to at least 21 might be the biggest help.

30. chrys58

chrys58

The engine in the Poorboy Offy #25 is a engine out of a late model Chevy Trailblazer.