Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camaro clip disc conversion - is there another way?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badsco, Jun 11, 2009.

1. badsco

badsco

I know this topic has been covered before, but I was thinking of trying something different here.

My 47 Olds had a 67 to 69 Camaro clip in it with drum brakes when I got the car. I want to convert it to discs, but dont really want to spend the money for a kit (take those US prices and basically double it by the time it gets to Canada) and the typical bolt on disc donor cars are hard to find here.

Ive heard that you can use 2nd gen camaro spindles flipped side to side, S10 spindles with longer upper a-arms etc etc, but I'm wondering why I cant just run a 'hat' style rotor, fab up some brackets to use 2nd gen Camaro front calipers and go that way? What rotors would work - rear discs from a 2nd or 3rd gen camaro might work, but I think those are a thin, un-vented rotor.

2. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

I rather think its possible to find the parts needed at junkyards up there too.
    And belive other marks of GM brand should be possible to use. check the Monte Carlo, Cutlass,etc.

Your thoughts about hats and fabricated calipermounts is a possibillity. just find right ones, and make up the bracket well. It would be fabricating,lot of checking,etc. Did do it on my original ´50 chevy, now with Cutlass discs & small GM calipers

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sounds like the sort of exercise I'll be doing soon on the Morris.

Here's a British website that might be useful for narrowing down what you're looking for: http://www.brakesinternational.co.uk/

It has dimensioned drawings of rotors! Be warned, though; they only allow you a limited number of views before you order something.

4. Why not machine down the bosses for the drum brake backing plate and either fab or buy the Re-pop dics brake brackets for 69 Camaro. Then use the correct rotors for the 69 Camaro single piston caliper. PM me for more info.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009

5. Look for Nova (and the clones) from '68 thru '74 for the identical parts as the Camaro.

Charlie

6. Keep

Keep

All you need is the spindles from damn near any gm model of those years with disc brakes up front. When I converted mine I used 74 malibu spindles, and just bought new, calipers/roters etc.

Kit was close to $1000, I ended up spending around $250 with all new parts.

There was an article in HOT ROD sometime in 98-99 where they went through a Camaro doing all the upgrades, brakes, internal reg alt, and some others. I do not have the mags any more but I am sure someone here does.

Here you go has all the info you need.
    http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/02/01/hmn_feature22.html

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

8. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Give Speedway a look..........they have some interesting brake setups.......and at a decent price.

9. badsco

badsco

Ok, some good options here. Looks like I have some links to go thru now, and some reading, that's great.

I like the idea of using either the Camaro original disc setup - have trying to get info on the kits/brackets from eBay vendors, but they don't seem to know a lot about what they sell, and never could get confirmation that they actually fit the drum rotor.

Also like the Corvette conversion idea, was kinda where I was headed prior to this, but had no idea which years/cars fit what. That bracket looks simple and no welding seems attractive to me for safety, not that I don't trust my own welds.....!

I actually have a 74 Monte, (BTW identical spindles, rotors etc as the 80 Camaro clip I put in my 60 Buick), it is front steer, so that would mean flipping spindles side to side (no big deal) but the spindle looks like the overall height is different , meaning modified a-arms - please correct me if I'm mistaken on this.

Anyway, appreciate all the advice, time to read up and price some parts for a bit, will see what I can figure out

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The easy way is to use 72 Chevelle/Monte Carlo disk brake pieces. Get from the spindle out if you can. While others can be made to work this is a direct bolt on and go deal.

If you use the spindles you will have to swap your rear stear arms onto the spindles from the drum brake spindles.

I think I just swapped the caliper bracket and hardware the first time I did it but that has been so long ago that I can't remember.

11. pq55

pq55

12. badsco

badsco

Ok, some awesome links here, found a lot of the answers I needed (what else is there to do at work on Friday but research braking options?)

I like the stock 69 disc conversion, but also the taller spindle conversion (as have a donor for those parts already). Are the A-arms needed for this another donor vehicle thing, or an aftermarket piece?

Still figuring to price the Corvette 12" C4 parts too, as the bracket can be home made vs the ebay option for the 1st gen disc bracket, and can handle the hub machining at home.

13. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

You should be able to find all that stuff in a wrecking yard. Don't forget about the master cylinder upgrade.

14. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

I'm not sure if the BJ shank taper is the same for the Camaro to the Monte, but the cast-in steering arms on the Monte spindles will not end up in the right place for the Camaro suspension resulting in bump steer issues.

15. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

16. badsco

badsco

Ok, so sounds like I should remove the 74 Monte donor as an option for this one. Will price the 1st gen Camaro vs C4 Corvette parts this weekend to see if that narrows it down any more. Thanks!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rotors should cost 50.00 or less new at about any parts house.
    The O'Riely chain link for 72 Chevelle rotors is here. They also show a what it fits link there if you want to go junkyarding.
    http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=221&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Disc/Rotor

New caliper brackets w/o dust shields http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972...acket-Set_W0QQitemZ380130035667QQcmdZViewItem

google link here with about the largest differences in a price on one item that I have ever seen for any part at any time. It sure pays to shop around.
    http://www.google.com/search?client...2+Chevelle+caliper+bracket&btnG=Google+Search

18. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

be aware that most of the disk conversion kits sold with the hubs built into the rotors will increase the track with of the car .750

the looks of the late camaro - corvette rotors seems the best route to go

19. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

If you are planning on using any of the finned aluminum (PBR) style of Corvette calipers be aware that rebuilts may not come with the caliper mounting cradles, pins, boots, or bolts, some of which are NLA from GM. Also, these calipers have very small pistons and your Olds is no lightweight so plan on running a substantial power booster (PBR equipped Corvettes all had power brakes), and master cylinder bore size is critical.

20. badsco

badsco

Ah, and important detail there. 3/4", assuming that means a side?
    Have to watch those clearances as the altimeter dips on the car.
    Am starting to lean corvette too.

21. badsco

badsco

Good info also. Have to learn to check updates posted in the time it takes to draft a reply. Any other options out there for calipers, guess it is a matter of rotor thickness and bracketry for other possible substitutions

22. As Far as the width increase, the factory disc brake set up for 67-68 four piston Camaro made the car track nearly 2"inch wider. If I remember correctly the 69 single piston increases it some also but can't remember the amount. Most cars it is insignificant.The drum brake master cylinder can be used successfully by removing the residual valve in the port that goes to the front brakes, but it is probabaly best to buy the MC for the correct application.

23. Weasel

Weasel

Which will put your tie rod the other side of your front suspension and reverse any in built geometry....:rolleyes:

24. tttlesabre

tttlesabre
    from NY

25. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Whoa! You've got an altimeter on your car?

I'd go with the factory Camaro set up, just because it seems easier, and there isn't any machining needed..just a bolt on and go deal.

26. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

27. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

I'm no engineer, nor am I trying to imply that those brackets are inferior BUT
    That seems to be putting quite a bit of faith in the pins. Wouldn't they also be subject to deflection, at least under hard braking? Factory setups for that type of caliper generally at least appear to offer greater support.

28. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The 69 rotors are .375" wider per side, .750" overall, exactly the same as using a Vette rotor on a drum brake hub.

The Right Stuff has a spindle and bracket kit for the 69 parts for under $200 US.

29. badsco

badsco

Thanks everyone for your input. Still have some price shopping to do, but overall, sounds like I have all the details I needed. Much appreciated.