Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 200 Six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2$ Bill, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

I have been contacted by several HAMBers about the Ford 200 Six in my Model "T". Most recently ONE ARMED HAMMER HEAD inquired about the dimensions of the 200 to see if it would fit in a Speedster he is working on. I took some photos & added the dimensions. The pics turned out okay so I thought I would post them here too.

[​IMG]

My motor was pulled from a 1982 Mercury Zephyr. The newer motors like this one have a rear sump type oil pan. Older motors (Mavericks, Granada & others) will have a bigger front sump type pan. Add some extra inches to make space for the carb & air cleaner you will use.
    [​IMG]

These motors can be shortened up by removing the spacer & belt driven fan. I'm using an electric fan and have been pleased with it.

[​IMG]

This pic shows two dimensions... The passenger side motor mount is obscured by the air cleaner but you get the idea...
    The bell housing is mated up to a Ford C-4.

[​IMG]

The widest part of these motors is up front where the oil filter and alternator is opposite of one another. Jeep makes an oil filter similar to the Ford FA-1 only a couple of inches shorter... A remote oil filter would make lots more room too.

My estimate is that a 200 will fit in roughly a 21"wide X 32" long engine bay.

Guys looking for BIG horsepower will be disappointed. Those wanting a durable utility motor will be well served by a 200 Six. The narrow in-line appearance gets mistaken for much older motors. The "look" works well in traditional styled cars. These motors are common/plentiful and inexpensive.

Hopefully this is helpful to others planning their next project:).

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nice pics and information, how about a set of pictures of the whole car, front and rear, both sides and quarters front and rear?

This would also apply to the 144, 170 engines.

3. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Yeah the 240 and 300 Ford 6 motors are the "big blocks" and these measurements would not apply.

4. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

PASADENAHOTROD & KHUGHESPRIME are both right are both right on the money! I am still working on a new windshield project and will post more pictures of the "T" if I ever get it finished.

5. 3406kris

3406kris

I was just looking for this data a week ago! I was wondering how cool it would look to have a 200 in a T. It looks like it's only about 2" longer than the 351C I have laying around. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a 200.

Thanks for posting. :)

6. hickory

hickory

Nice engine Bill. Love the pictures. Here is the start of my motor mounts. Ya think they'll work? hickory

Attached Files:

7. retromotors

retromotors

I can personally vouch for the 200 six as one tough-assed little motor.

Had one in an Econoline van, got it with 100K and flogged hard with minimal maintainance. Put another 100K on it, including a cross country run from Mississippi to San Diego and back (hauling all my worldly possessions). Sold it to a guy I knew - last seen well on it's way to 300K and as far as I know never had the head off!

Pics below are not my car ( I wish!) Just a really fine 200 six powered track roadster I found on the web a while back. Possibly a HAMBer? If so, take a bow ...... fine job!

Attached Files:

8. bubba57

bubba57
    from k

You just have to make sure you use an exhaust manifold off of an older engine. I have a 200 out of an 82 tbird and that manifold is garbage.

9. spununit

spununit

The in line six Fords are a very good engine, if you want a serious increase in power bolt on a 2v cylinder head. The 2v head differs from the standard head by having a separate bolt on intake as apposed to the case one picture here. They have a long intake track that really lets the engine breath. They were a factory option on six cylinder 70,71 Falcons down under. If you go to the trouble of hunting one up, Australian ebay is a good place to look but shipping could be expensive, you will be impressed. I have a mate down here running one in an early 60s Falcon squire wagon on a 250ci six running 12 seconds quarters while wheel standing! I think someone in the US was reproducing them.

Attached Files:

• 43b.jpg
      43b.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  10. spununit

spununit

I just did a quick google search and found the US manufactures of the 2v head are Classic Inline, they are at West Peco Ave, Mesa Arizona. Google classic inlines and you will find them.

11. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Just so happen to be on Classic Inline that 2v alum. head going to run you right at $2,000.00 U.S.:eek:

12. 64gal

64gal

Car looks great,may I ask what kind of steering box that is? Thanks,Tom

13. spununit

spununit

I just had a look in completed auctions on Australian ebay, one 2v head and intake $700 and a complete 250 2v engine for $600, the Australian dollar is only 80 cents us, so it's cheap. The shipping could be expensive because of the weight.

14. 3406kris

3406kris

I had a 200 in a 66 Mustang that would not die. It had so little compression that I couldn't park it in gear on a hill; it would just roll backwards spinning the motor! The oil pressure wasn't great on it, so I ran 85-90 gear lube in it during the summer. All the while it still started first time everyday and got 22-24 mpg.

I plan on visiting Australia in September. Maybe I should just throw all my clothes (or my wifes ;) ) away and bring one back in my luggage?

15. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

64gal - The steering box is a Corvair Unit - the only non-Ford piece on the car!

BUBBA57 - Right you are! The factory Ford exhaust manifolds are these late model engines are wierd... They have a big coffee can-like catalatic convertor fixed directly on the manifold... terrible looking thing & the heat is no doubt bad for the motor. Luckily Falcon Parts.com is recasting old style manifolds. They have a nice original look plus they are extra heavy iron so it doesn't have the warping & breaking problem many of the Ford ones had.

16. I have a 170, ( Yeah I know not he same motor but the same family) from 1962 with 170k on it and never been rebuilt and i drive that old sucker everywhere, i have had it for 18 months and it is yet to let me down. it is the only running car i have and I drive it like i stole it

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  17. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

These Fords are loved the world around. I believe they were made on every contenent on Earth. Statistically it was Ford's most produced motor because they put them in EVERYTHING. The Australians got the best of them with far better heads & intake manifolds than the USA versions. I have read that these little motors were the engine of choice throughout South America for police cars primarily because of their simplicity & durability. Works for me!

18. 2$ bill we in Australia only got the 2V /?( the good head+) in 70 and 71 and then only as option, it was/ is quite rare to come across a 250.2V it was hardly standard equipment. Good luck to all 6cyl hot rodders