Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here's some photos from Adriene from the cruise at Bobs Big Boy in Long Beach last saturday night...all part of the resurgence of Bobs Big Boy's cruise ins in the El Lay area...:):):)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Adrien, Kevin, Burney and all the others that are re-establishing the cruises as they were....and to Jim, too (of course)

2. vertible59

vertible59

I understand that, Mazooma. Just trying to make a point. Anyhow, what happened there, with Harvey's Broiler, effects us all, no matter where we live.

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Guess that everyone that hung out sat nite had a good time, I am glad for that. It was a very nice evening and I had a good time talking to all that I got a chance too.
    I was kind of incognito by driving up in a 69 camaro S/S with a oxidized top surface. I parked away from the rest not to be disrespectful. It was after all a 50's-60's cruise.
    Per Joe who runs this cruise, He has been approached by a guy who wants to have a weekly cruise there. This is entirely up to you guys if you want to have something to do on a Sat nite in Signal Hill.

I thank all of you for the support that you provide us and look forward to seeing you all at the openning when it goes down. Pretty excited as the roof beams/joists go accross and the building gets built.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Stopped by over the weekend,lots more completed. The roof is mostly on lots more electrical and some digging going down for additional structural footing work and to route the electrical for Edison. We walked the lot to see what exactly the type of parking and flow that could cruise through.

We think that we have roughly 70 parking spaces but the drive in canopy has roughly 21? We want you guys to be able to cruise through there safely and have plenty of room to turn around or find a good spot to park.

On another note, Did anybody go to the cruise @ Signal over the weekend? I haven't spoken to Joe so I don't know if there was one?

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I was in the area today and took some pictures of the progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Cool, I stoppped by a couple of weeks ago. Things have been coming along.

7. oh man... I'm getting the chills. its like being 16 all over again!

8. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Kevin, that's screamingly good. See you next weekend. Wayno

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Elmo.
    We are constantly working on the project. This will be a great Weds nite cruise spot, Thaks CD and AP for posting and putting up pics, Too cool!

10. Weasel

Weasel

How fitting that Cyclone Kevin gets post No. 1000 on this thread. Thanks CrazyDaddyo for the photo update - this is getting really exciting.

11. has anyone called watson to tell him about this? and good job by the way!

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I went by today, had my camera, so here tis on Sunday, June 7, '09...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. damn I can smell the burgers from here!

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

getting close.............

[​IMG]

15. cruzr

cruzr

marked on my calendar for sure

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

This is such a great story. You guys are heroes for stepping up! There's an outside chance that I might be coming through there in September - sure would be great to be there on the 19th!!! Thanks for all of your efforts...

17. here's something that has to do with harvey's (kinda), watson's cruise map

Attached Files:

18. Adriene

Adriene

I was just about to download my pix from yesterday afternoon, but you guys beat me to it! These look great, the Broiler's coming back!

19. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Thanks for posting that map! I spent an hour last night using Mapquest to pinpoint the locations on Google Earth--an hour well-spent!

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks as well for posting that map, I remember back in 89-90 when Watson was having his Video Cruises and we all met at The Downey Golden Arches-Dick & Macs franchised unit to a couple of guys in Downey, It still was "not" a part of Kroc's version and the food at that time tasted a whole lot better.
    Watson was full of history-memories, I understand he's in Apple Valley now and attends Hi Dessert Cruise Nites. If anyone one see's him, have him PM or email Adriene and I, we have an idea that we'd like to involve him in.
    We, if you can believe all of those pics, Man, It's amazing! It's gone up in a month from dirt to a roof,Canopy stanchions-pole to cover.
    I know that only took about 2hrs to do all of the damage that was done,but from that day it has been 30 mos. Seeing it go up this quick appers that all of those meetings where C 'Dueced would wonder if I'd ever be done is paying off.
    I'm happy for all of us who will enjoy the burgers of the Broiler. :D
    Mazooma, Thank you again for being as enthusiastic as we are.
    Weasel, Thanks for what you said.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Kustomike,
    Your avatar photo is shot at George's Liquor on New Ave in San Gabe, We even had a 77 Bird Damn Near like that on shown in the shot. Heck My bud Oscar lives right across the street and I grew up just north of that on Ramona. Very cool Neon Shot!:D

22. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

My Mom still has a ticket that she got in the parking lot of Harveys for running open headers. I cant wait to surprise her by taking her there is my car for a burger, with open headers of course !

23. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

Yea....can't wait! many many memories for me there...

Keven

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Have Mom bring the ticket, we'll photo copy and put it on the wall of fame :D.

25. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

26. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

I pass by there almost every other day that place is coming along quick.

27. Thanks Cyclone Kevin for bringing this all to light, next time your at Bob's in L.B. tell Joe the manager his little brother says hey! He started telling me about all this going down as far back as 2006 he was managing the Nordic Fox on Paramount & 3rd. at the time and there was a group then that was meeting to try and save the Broiler, I couldn't belive then that the owner wanted to knock it down and put up a strip mall, like Downey needs another one of those, I used to live in Downey and Norwalk in the '70's and ate there from time to time was a cool place back then. Glad to see it is coming along now, Joe is susposed to get a job there when it opens. He is a serious old car nut he tried several times to get cruise ins at the Nordic Fox but never got it going, I think the parking lot was to small. again thanks for all you have done for the Broiler, heck it was even used in one of the NASCAR "how bad have you got it" commercials, the owner was an idiot, didn't he get jail time over this?
    tell Joe I said hi!

28. Weasel

Weasel

It wasn't the owner who knocked it down - it was a tenant - just want to set the record straight here.

29. I still gotta get one of these posters someday!

30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Rusty Gem,
    Glad that you are a car guy as well as Joe. Go back do a search, I did a cruise for Joe at the Nordic Fox and your Aunt Jane as well for their last day. They allowed us to use the lot a couple of times for our Ghost Cruises and we packed the lot (lMany pics of it somewhere in this post or the Ghost cruise post). I thank them for their help.
    Set up a cruise in Feb 09 for the Signal Hill Bob's where he is now and again last month, I believe that it is turning into a weekly cruise now. Joe and another guy is running that, I live too far away from there to do it weekly.(Thank you HAMBers for attending,it would never happen without your help.:))
    Yes, we were working on the Brioler project for a pretty long time, Adriene and the Friends of Johnie's since 2k2. I watched from afar until I saw it demo'd and then threw many things aside including my own car progress and with the power of the HAMB membership, public awareness, a group of like minded people that came from the "friends" to become the Coalition to Save Harvey's Broiler and lets not forget Jim Louder of Bob's Torrance and West Covina, The Broiler will Broil one again! ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009