Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

TMcCrea I see this was a Jarrell car as well. How many cars ran out of his farm,any idea??I hear different stories.......thanks

2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Let me see how many I can remember.

I first met Alex through my friend Charlie Hampp. Alex was the "go to" guy for three speed transmissions back then so most of the "stick" racers went to him. He did some engines as well and he was good friends with the Grump.

In addition to the Hampp's, there was Fred Suloff (Knucklebuster car), Smitty, Johnny Davis, Tim Bishop, Brad Watkins and some others I can not remember. There were others that were good friends with Alex and hung around with him even though they ran 4 speeds and hydro's and had Jenkins & Truppi engines such as the Wheatley Brothers, George Cureton, Harry Neide and Bill Cornelius.

One of ALex's favorite stories was a letter he got from someone in the Army, who was overseas, addressed to: Alex Jarrell Three Speeds, Delaware. The Post Office surely would not deliver something like that today!

I have very fond memories of those days and the good times we all had together.

Attached Files:

3. spiertb

spiertb

Troublemaker; The Schumacher-Rod Shop Fairlane started life as a six cylinder post mans car--the window sill on the passenger side was worn smooth. It was raced as a 427-was very quick --had the NHRA National Record for most of 2 or so years(11.69-123.96)--I thought that he raced it in '69 and I bought it and raced it in '70(he raced it at the Nationals in '70 for me) and on until the late 70's--but I'll have to check. I built a new house in '80 and sold it to a woodcutter from Quebec- about 4-5 years ago he mentioned selling it back to me(I don't even know his name) but ???

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is a photo I found of the back of the Wheatley's 55.

[​IMG]

5. John Mackey

John Mackey

Great stuff guys, keep it coming.

6. colesy

colesy

I can get all around it but haven't been able to zero in on the 70 yet. Here's his 68 at Milan, 69 at Martin and the 73.

Attached Files:

7. colesy

colesy

NHRA National Record Holders from February 1966;

Attached Files:

8. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here are a few for Colesy from Charlie Hampp's collection.

Attached Files:

9. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This is the photo I remember from years ago, but have not seen for a long time. Joe Cox driving the Hampp's car against John Dianna in the semi final round of Stock Eliminator at the 1968 Springnationals, Englishtown. Joe had him covered, but ran out.

[​IMG]

10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I have said this before and I will say it again for those who missed it, winning Stock Eliminator at Delmar was tough! The one weekend I recall as being the toughest, there were 12 national event winners and record holders. That really was a fun time.

Here is a shot of cars belonging to Alex and friends. Brad Watkins, Alex, Charlie Hampp, Tim Bishop, Smitty, Eric Claudy, Jay & Buck Wheatley.

[​IMG]

11. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Forgot to label the above photos as being from Charlie Hampp's collection.

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Tom,
    Those pictures are priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bob Rice

13. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Tom,
    Is that the "Hey Man" '59 Chevy stuck in there?
    Bob Rice

14. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Sure is.

Attached Files:

15. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here are a few more of Charlie's photos from that event.

Attached Files:

16. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Tom,
    Be sure to thank Mr. Hampp for me and many thanks to you for posting.
    Bob Rice

17. 6-71

6-71

I had the hood louvered in 1971,when the delivery was my daily driver.I also installed the 307,4 speed and pontaic tempest buckets. The hood was done by a long time friend from corry pa. who is also a HAMBER currently.:)

18. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Man, I just dig the hell outa station wagon drag cars! It's like a real racer's car...........when you're more interested in weight transfer than impressing the ladies with a striped-up, spoilered-up, sleek-looking musclecar. It's about functionality-over-form.

19. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

LOL! And there ALL still there!And run! My dad LOVED that hood!

Do you have any idea what rear end gear is in the car?I looked up the #s for the pig and they came back as(been a while since i checked them) i belive like 3.32 or 3.36 somewhere in there.Was not sure if they are as marked because the ring and pinion could have been changed.

Currently except for the drivers bucket,headliner and dash the car is stripped internally.All the body mount bolts are out except the 2 front and 2 rear.(still need to get it out of the building to pressure wash it)

Thanks for the seat info i wondered what they came out of,i had figured a 60's GM car.
    Do you have any pics of the car when you had it?

:cool:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  20. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Thats all i drive!Actually the 79 ford wagon i inherited from grannie turns heads and i get comments all the time.Just a nice original sweet looking old wagon.And i am seriously considering putting a 350 tpi and 700r in it if it coughs up the 302.

21. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

The SMITH BROTHER's from Va. with Randy Smith driving? Randy later ran SS/I stick 67 Camaro with an engine by Steuart Mathews

22. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

In 1970 Charlie Hampp Sr. and I took the Witchcraft to Suffolk for the points race and set a MPH record. We were in teardown late into the night because there had been about 15 (or more) records set.

We were in a stall next to Randy Smith when Buster walked by around 11:00 PM with a 5th of bourbon in his hand. He must have consumed most of it and was as he wobbled a bit and his speech was slurred. He held out the bottle in my direction and offered a drink. I declined and he said something like "Anybody that won't drink with me sucks dicks." When he turned around he saw Randy's girlfriend standing a foot away and apologized profusely and left.

I can still remember rain falling around day break and having to push the car on the trailer since we had not reassembled the engine. We headed home and could hardly keep our eyes open. When we stopped in Cape Charles, VA to rest, Charlie told me that he had fallen asleep three or four times while driving the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Damn glad he woke up each time!

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]
    Wonder how many runs Ray got out of a pair of Goodyears!

Attached Files:

24. This car to auctioned AGAIN at the Petersen this fall. RM acuctions, I think.

25. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Per request here is the list of 1964 Winternationals class winners

Attached Files:

26. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is some West Coast trivia. My Jan 1971 AHRA victory at Lions Grand American. John Barkley loaned his 1957 Chevy 210 injected 250 Hp to me, my Bel Aire 4 barrel version had a less favorable index. This was the second John Barkley 57 Chevy 210. In the fall of 72 it was sold to Gene Wheeler of Abline, Texas and became the "Tuff Texan Two".

27. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is a picture of the Barkley #2 Car after restoration.

Attached Files:

28. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Boy I dunno,that paint scheme they have there,with the red going over the hood.Sure would look GOOD with those LOUVER"S!!!!!:eek:

29. Please....