Register now to get rid of these ads!

180 degree headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Brewton

Brewton

Wow...I'm being educated! I've heard some race cars with 180s, but never heard or seen a street setup before.

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

so would there be any point or advatage to make a tripple split header on a inline 6 with 3 pipes .....just a thought to be different?

3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I had a set on my Cobrajet Mustang. They arent too bad to install new. Once theyve been run nothing fits together anymore and they are a nightmare to get on. I had one of the first sets in 69 and they really sounded different to everyone else. People would ask whats wrong with your motor. It takes extreme patience to make a set like the Tbolt guy did, my hats off to him

4. elcornus

elcornus

DUDE, they would be BAAADDAAASSSSS ON MY SEDANS MOTOR!

[​IMG]
    I'd have to strech the frame a bit to clear the cowl, but it'd be worth it!
    I LOVE crazy tube headers!

LOW MILE, 1970 351C 4V, Vintage WEIAND tunnelram, well hell you can SEE it:cool:

[​IMG]

Wanna trade them to me for parts, machinist labor, $$$, ??????
    Coulumn drop I made for the late Andy Dunn, AKA HAMBANDY shown below
    [​IMG]
    Whatchu need bro?????????

PLEASE???????????????:eek:

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Great pic!

6. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

What a coincidence this post popped up... I have made the decision to raise my Galaxie up, ala the Tobacco King, and put a set of Hurst's on the back (maybe that will stop me from spinning out of control into a fence?), and thought when I go to replace the Super Comps on there (I'm in the process of welding a replacement bend in where one got smooshed) I might see about welding up a set of 180's. Hell, I already got 4 primaries runnin' in the fenderwells with those ugly bastards.

Those are some nice Cleveland parts! I love Clevelands... Must be something about "obsolete" Ford engines, the big 3 for me are flatties, FEs, and Clevelands!

7. elcornus

elcornus

8. Tony

Tony

Ever since i read this post i want to build a set for my 32 when i actually get to building it........Although, i'm not sure how that sound would be on a hot rod instead of a racer....hmmmmm.....i do dig the sound though.....

9. Jerod Jardine

Jerod Jardine
    from wyoming

We built these as well as Dougs to simply gain length on the back cylinders. Not much witch craft. It was quicker and easier to build as a production header.
    The 180deg header is a way to line up your pulses 180 degrees apart. This will make a smother transition into the colecter. In alot of 4-1 headers the one pulse comes down the pipe and hits the colector. The pulse slows and loses velocity, it dosen't have another pulse helping it. A merge colector will help this as the cross sectional area is smaller if done right. This is why a merge will have a pyramid inside, to take up dead air space.The down side of them are that on American V-8's your tubes get way too long to be realistic. They work bichen on Ferarries and the like because of the mid mount engine. So if you can set your tubes up acording to your firing order to enter the colectors 180 apart and equel length........
    A try-y works alot the same way.
    Jerod

10. doctorZ

doctorZ

actually, these are 360 headers, not 180's. don't worry, i didn't know either but have been e-mailing back and forth with Jere at Stahl for a few weeks now and have been learned a thing or two!

180 headers use 2 collectors with 4 pipes going in, so each collector receives exhaust for every 180 degrees of rotation of the engine (hence 180 exhaust). These headers shown have 4 collectors with 2 opposing cylinders each so they go off every time the crank rotates 360 degrees.

-drZ