Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

Here's another 343hp 383 62. Taken by Tom Shehan at Bristol TN.
    Owned and driven by Jerry Bennett

Attached Files:

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love those pictures of those '60's Chevy II's :)

3. Race Artist

Race Artist

Harvey Tilton in his '62 409 at Atco in either '64 or '65.
    Joel

Attached Files:

4. jkperformance

jkperformance

The reason the 65 cars appear to be so extreme is that along with the allowable percentage of wheelbase change they also moved the wheelbase positioning 10 inches farther forward. The rules did not allow engine set back. So Chrysler moved the axle centerlines forward relative to engine location. I belive this would be an example of creative rules interpitation.

5. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

This is a cool thread. I think I'll hop in.
    Here are a couple of pictures of my car, the Grassman, Osterman, Nicholson & Wade 61 Corvette. Won B/SP at the 62 Winternationals and AA/SP at the 62 Calif Stock and Sports Championship.

Here it is back in the day and a more recent one with the man himself (Grumpy) checking things out in 1997 at Famoso.

Car was driven by Hugh "Putzel" Osterman at the two races mentioned above. Owned by Brendan Grassman. Tuned by Nichloson and Wade. Don and Earl also had some time behind the wheel. I bought it in '68 and kept it.

Anyone out there have any other pics of stockers at the 62 Winternationals?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  6. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Here is a great pix of the Sox & Martin 68 SS/B Cuda and Dick Landy's 68 SS/BA Dart....lots of pixs around of these two cars....BUT how many have you seen of them parked SIDE BY SIDE...

This pixs was taken by my good friend, Clark Rand, around 2005 or so, when he owned BOTH CARS.

He sold the the Landy car but still owns the Cuda...

Attached Files:

7. storm king

storm king

Is that the 'cuda that Ron Slobe owned?

8. dragnut51

dragnut51

Does anybody have photos of Jack WErst 64 Belvedere back in the day.Doing a model of it and need photos any help would be great.

John Pol

9. vntodd

vntodd

Here's a pic I took a few years back of a friend's lightweight '64 Hemi Dodge (aluminium doors, hood, fenders) running at Rock Falls Raceway.

Attached Files:

10. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Bennet and Widuch are fast! I would imagine they have gotten the most out of the 360's that they can. I'm sure Jerry and George have put their collective heads together on this one. All I am saying is I have tried to run that combo in a 63 and it was difficult! Of course I didn't have the money for acid porting and the other hush hush stuff that is going into stockers today. :rolleyes:

It runs a FLAT cast iron intake that breathes like a smoker on the Boston marathon. It has a small carb and small valves. The CR is low too. I'm not bashing it I just think its great someone is able to get this combo running.

11. TURBOJET

TURBOJET
    from Pasadena

Mike Mclusky from Pasedena CA, Service Chevrolet. Terry Prince. Nicholson wrenched on this car (gold '61 Biscayne)and Mclusky ordered the 1963 Z-11 car @ Service Chevrolet Prince took delivery of.

12. Race Artist

Race Artist

Intersting information! Thanks for posting ... do you have any more on the cars from that time in your area? Any pictures?
    Joel

13. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

I really don't want to see this thread stop, so I'll try to post a few I rec'd over the net. Sorry, I have no idea of who took the pics or where at. Maybe someone on here will recognize the track?

Attached Files:

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

I love my Super Stock Mopars 62-65!

15. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great shots, thanks for posting them. I'd hoped when I started this thread that more and more old snapshots and track photos would come out of the woodwork. Glad to see that you want to keep it going, so do I of course.
    Again, thanks for those great shots.

I don't think they are from Piedmont though. The track lanes and background behind the cars doesn't look like Piedmont. The Petty car is the second incarnation of it too. Love the to-be-sure non-NHRA track!!
    Joel

16. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

http://www.vaautoracing.org/hotrodding2.htm

Those shots are from Roanoke drag strip.

17. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

19. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Many nice ones...
    Thanks

20. How cool is that? Great pix

[​IMG]

21. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

Did the 1st car have 2 separate tin looking scoops for the carbs on the crossram?

Also, was it the 1st car that crashed at Dallas, GA?

7/24 - well, uhh, I guess no one knows or cares about this one.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Here's a couple photos of the 2 incarnations Someone correct me if Im wrong but Im sure Petty only built one Barracuda.

2656572190082607023qKzDuU_ph.jpg

petty.jpg

23. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

yes

24. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

65deluxe - thanks for the pics. I thought I remembered it originally having the 2 separate "tin" scoops, which I thought looked pretty hokey. I'm confident Wally & Joel are right about there only being 1 car (regardless of the number of Re-incarnations).

25. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Thats Gene Dunlap from Carrollton, Ohio in the Tanner & Dunlap "Hole Shot" 442 right in front of Woody's Brainbeau car. Dont ja just love trying to figure out who else shows up in thes pics??

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

This is the pic with Gene Dunlaps Hole shot car in front of Woody's Brainbeau car.
    sorry for the wrong ling in previous post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

We Recently obtained Carl Spiedel's private photo collection from son Matt. Carl was always partner with Doc Burgess with the Black Arrow in all it's configurations...Even with Jenkin's at the wheel. His Speed Shop was just up the road in LaGrangeville, from Doc's place in Wingdale,N.Y. Matt still has no computer or internet ,but donated use of these never before publically seen shots to us.Color Shot After Doc got it back in pits at Dover(now a sponsor on quarter panel-notice number change)...Black & white Shots of Jenkin's in Carl's shop, getting it ready for Winternationals Trip.Car then went through numerous modifications (altered wheels-Injection and lettering jobs),eventually ending up sold and run by Smrtic's as "Storm King".Also included Doc's first Mopar, winning end of Season Points at Dover...Speidel always with him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  28. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

I'm not sure if this one was posted yet, but it had to be one of the prettiest stockers of the '60s, the "Tin Indian" 1966 GTO. It was found in a Delaware field, set up as a street car until its pedigree was discovered, then restored to its glory days trim.[​IMG]

29. That's George Wunsch's "Here's That Tiger" GTO built by George Snizek & "Charlie Dodge" Hagenmayer of Pacers Auto. It is featured in CARS Magazine, July 1966, "Build A C/Stock Record Breaker", Cover, Page 18-22,75.

------------
    Scott Snizek
    Pacers Auto, Inc.®

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  30. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

pretty sure it was pyote, the tech building in background is still there, tommy, sure he is still in monahans tx, saw him a few years ago at a swap meet, we had a good chat