Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1938 mercury...i'll be danged..anyone else have one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Jun 9, 2009.

1. belair

belair

I had a 38 Mercury sedan just like that. Except it was a Chevy. And it was a coupe.
    I know that strange things happen in the car world, but come on.

2. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

my ex lied about her age too

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Prototypes and calendar years muddled with calendar years...
    A trivia point: Golookat the hubcaps; first few Mercs got hubcaps with logo that said "Ford Mercury". Very rare...possibly developing thought om Merc's position in the company, as a superduper deluxe Ford or a separate division...?

4. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Nice thread jack.

5. Here was a 1939 merc tudor I sold the front clip off of to HotRodHon, other pieces went to HAMBers in distant parts of the US, and the rest..... I think the garnish moldings are still hanging on the wall

I better get on the phone and get the pieces back to restore it, after all it could be a 38!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Id put it in Hemmings with the 38 Title, call it a prototype and ask 100K, since no one seems to know, You'll probably have a couple of Yuppie types fighting over it !

7. Factory prototypes were cobbled together to get a full size walk around car to eyeball.
    These were not production vehicles.
    This baloney about a 4" shorter Merc make no sense. Ford would not make a 4 " shorter chassis for a hand full of models, late in 38 when he was introducing a new model in a few months. Shorten a 1939 Mercury chassis 4" and you have a Ford chassis, what a coincidence.

8. r8odecay

r8odecay

Here in OK, where hotrod-Linkin hails as well, my 1951 Caddy, originally sold on Jan 1, 1952. It therefore received a 1952 title, and Oklahoma WILL NOT CHANGE IT.

9. My last port here, as this horse is dead.
    All the car manufacturers had a longer chassis, in those years, for the classier models.
    Mercury longer than a Ford.
    Cadillac longer than a Chevy.
    I still say Mercury came out with it's first available production vehicle in 1939.
    Good luck with the continuing debate.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'39-40 Mercs had their own unique frames and bodies, whereas the '41-8 were Fords underneath. These later ones simply had the fron crossmember slid forward (many frames have both sets of rivet holes) and an adaptor to move wishbone ball, along with the special front sheetmetal. The '39-40 Mercs really shared only mechanical innards with Ford--everything else looked ford but was a fully formed larger piece, not a stretch. That prototype was obviously a cobbled Ford for sure, probably meant just as a rack to hold up the new grill and hubcaps for viewing...

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

So you must know more than the people who built the car RIGHT? okaayy!:D

12. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

What I always love is when someone asks for help in regard to something they aren't knowledgeable with....and then continue to tell everyone that they are wrong when they share their help and wisdom.

"was X model made in X year?"

"no" x 50

"I don't believe any of you so I will just continue to inform you about the truth as found while searching google" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. Anderson

Anderson

14. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

It maybe an early "39 sold in "38 check the numbers you may have a very eary Merc.
    Some states dated the car the year it was first sold. I have a Dodge that was made in mid 1929 sold late March is and titled as a "30.

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Car Spotter's Guide 1940 thru 1965 issue.
    Just an FYI.... I have several Ford Motor Company books and they all say Mercury's first year is 1939.

Attached Files:

16. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

Ill go with the clerical error.

In 1958 I bought a 53 Ford that was listed with the state as a 54.
    It had king pins and bushings not ball joints and it had a 53 grill
    and all of the 53 customline trim and taillight lenses. Looking under
    the hood, by golly, it still had a flathead instead of the 54 OHV.

17. Hi All,

The very first Mercury is in the Henry Ford Museum...it's a Green 39...I saw it while at the Autorama this year.

Murph

18. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

19. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Here's an interesting photo I found from New York's Union Station in 1938, debuting the brand new 1939 Mercury. The car in the photo is most likely a prototype. Notice the lack of outside mirrors. Sorry about the huge photo, but I thought you'd want to see detail.

[​IMG]

20. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

21. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The pictures just above are the ones you find when you Google '38 Merc prototype. The nose does look shorter than a typical '39 or '40 Merc, so it was probably on a Ford wheelbase. No mystery there.

Interesting that both cars in the OP's pictures have '39 Merc grilles -- no '40 in sight.