Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Modifieds verse Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedyPAt, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Shampine's RE car was not 4WD. That would have just been piling on!

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If you are ever in Meridian, Idaho on a race day, stop by the track and look up Kenny Hamilton the track owner. For a few bucks he will take you for a ride in his 2 seat super modified. Even with 2 people it
    runs very close to the track record. Under 13 sec.

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Really good guy..spent a lot of time helping my daughter transition from modifieds to sprints last year. Drifting off thread..sorry.

Attached Files:

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, he's probably got some potential:rolleyes: and it looks like your girl learned how to hustle a sprint pretty damn good!
    BTW- do you have any more pics of those 60s Az. supers? I, for one, would'nt mind seeing more if you do.

5. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Rootie..I don't have much but you might try Windy Mc Donald's book, "Thunder in the Desert"..pictorial history of Manzanita in Phoenix..great book. Mc Cluskey, Foyt, Andretti, Unser are all pictured riding the cushion at Manzy. Windy has been the track announcer for a ton of years..he was still doing it when we raced the 1/2 mile a month ago! Try Win-Di publishing, P.O. Box 82727, Phoenix Az. 85071 Try this..www.windymcdonald.com

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

didn`t do too good??? he only won 3 times

7. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

nope i am wrong.....bentley ran 13 little 500`s won 2 top ten 8 times led over 1000 laps finished 2cd twice...... the "gloucester fisherman"

8. I need to head north for a few weeks and sniff some methanol.
    Damn I miss Oswego.
    Is Bentley Warren running this year?

9. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

ran in and around sacto in the mid 60s,we put on a wing in 64

10. nitram22

nitram22
    from California

Just found this thread, here's a few shots of 60's and 70's Super Modifieds on the West Coast:

This is what they looked like in the late 50's, I don't think they were called Supers yet: (West Capital Raceway, Sacramento, Ca)
    [​IMG]

Then in the 60's/70's:
    [​IMG]

By the end of the 70's they were essentially Sprint Cars with a Rectangular bottom rail: (Nick Rescino in 1979)
    [​IMG]

And here's a few San Jose (Ca) pavement cars:

Howard Kaeding, 1974:
    [​IMG]

Rod Furtado, 1975:
    [​IMG]

Nick Rescino, 1975:
    [​IMG]

Much more here:
    http://public.fotki.com/nitram22/auto_racing/racing_scans/

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Supers have been coming around here for the last few years, usually with the midgets (NEMA), and some touring modifieds (TrueValue), always the best show of the year. Don't know how they do it.

12. CobraBall

CobraBall
    from N. Texas

The first "Winged" race car was #910, driven by Jim Cushman @ Columbus Motor Speedway sometime in the early summer of 1959. The wing was designed by an aero-engineer at North American Aviation, Port Columbus. At 60 mph the downforce was to be 2000 lbs. The engine was a "stock" Vette 283 with the factory twin 4-bbls. The first night the "winged" car showed up, my Dad told me "I brought you tonight to see something special." My Dad had been to the shop and saw the winged-car being built.

The first night the CMS announcer made jokes about the winged-car as if a control tower calling an airplane. :D It took three weeks for #910 to be the top qualifier at CMS. No jokes then. In 1959 a lot of people threw wings on top of their cars but very few engineered. Most used "it looks like #910 or I like this wing".

Whether on dirt, oil (in '59 CMS was oil-covered dirt) or paved, Cushman ran the same RR gears.

A neat part of racing history. :):)

Attached Files:

13. 6 inline

6 inline
    from Galt ca.

I am in the works of restoration of my fathers Stockton 99 speedway Modified... I will post some photos if someone wants to tell me how to do so. We will be hitting the vintage race shows in 2011.

14. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

Saw a few posts about the wings on these cars...its a very cool setup . Most race car wings are mounted to the body on an Easst Coast Super they are mounted ditrectly on the rearend. There are air cylinders attached to the wing so it will lay flat on the straightaways, as the car rotated into the turn the wing rotates down pressing the rear into the pavement creating tremendous downforce. The engines are fuel injected big blocks run alcohol, no transmission, direct drive with and an in and out box. At Lee Speedway in NH a 3/8 mile oval they were 2.5 seconds faster than our modified.

15. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

6 inline,, Saw your car at Jim Perry's Kearney Bowl Reunion, You guys did a great job restoring your dad's old super! have you ran it yet? I wish I could tell you how to upload pics, I use to just hit brouse and pull pic but now it ask for your URL? maybe need a photo bucket. When I figure it out I will post pics of 19 supers from the BBQ