Register now to get rid of these ads!

How did this happen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8enough, Jun 9, 2009.

1. str8enough

str8enough
    from Omaha, NE

I recently had the rear end in my Galaxie rebuilt. I had new gears (Speedway Motors) bearings and a posi unit installed. The guy rebuilding it for me had a hard time getting the gears to leave the correct pattern, he didn't care for the end result, but we put them in anyway. I drove my car for a week, maybe 100 miles, the rear end had a howl, which it had before being rebuilt. On memorial day I made a beer run with a buddy, i got on my car a bit, had a rolling start (did not drop the clutch)and went through the gears. When I let off there was a loud bang and then grinding gears. The pics shown is what I found, anybody have a clue what would cause this? any info will be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. 3Mike6

3Mike6

I'm thinking you anwered your own question...

"The guy rebuilding it for me had a hard time getting the gears to leave the correct pattern, he didn't care for the end result, but we put them in anyway."

Just my thoughts.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Nice rear end...

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yep looks like you need another guy to do your rears. It would appear that your guy should have used a shim or 2 to get the pinion moved back to the sweet spot.

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've never seen main caps fail like that on a 9-inch.
    -Brad

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Joe just found out what the culprit was and the reason they couldn't get a good 'pattern' on the gears.

Hopefully he'll get back on here and explain....

7. New gears should never make noise like the old ones !!! >>>>.

8. James427

James427
    BANNED

Were the gears a matched set?

9. mopar210

mopar210

I have done many rear diffs in my time , looks to me like like tha carrier bearings were not seated in the carrier , the one adjuster ring has been hogged out , probably from the carrier moving forward , rearward etc.... This had to have a very loose assembled pre-load , back lash had to be about a foot . Rears are fairly simple , just be within specs and it will last a long long time .

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes, brand new set.

11. RAY With

RAY With

Set up hundreds of ford 9 inch. Your unit was not set up correctly and as stated above -the back lash was out of site and when you got on it the ring gear was looking for a place to go.

12. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

how in the fuck did you do that.

13. ... ok, so what was the culprit, 9 - 1/4" ring and pinion ?

14. Have him explain, Inquiring minds want to know. Curious that you also stated it howled before and after ......

15. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

He might have got the caps mixed up, or maybe set it up blindfolded.....

16. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Yeah do it right the first time, so you are saying an experienced, professional mechanic went ahead and let you assemble the rear after he knew it wasn't right? And it was howling when you drove it? Were you hoping it would just correct itself, or maybe the 9" ferry's were going to fix it while you slept? Feel for you man, bad deal all around! Bottom line is the 3d member wasn't set-up right!

17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The fact that it let go when you got off the throttle along with the original howling leads me to believe the nut on the yoke came loose and it eventually swallowed the pinion.

18. phukinartie

phukinartie

Why does that sound dirty to me? :D

19. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

I blame terrorists

20. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks. Yours is pretty cute, too. ;)

~Jason

21. MBog

MBog

Rookie is how! How do you "not" get the proper pattern on a 9 inch...find a new guy

22. Okay, for the last time; I don't care what that other thread said, you can not lubricate a rear diff. with dryer sheets!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  23. str8enough

str8enough
    from Omaha, NE

The guy that rebuilt the rear end has 30+ years doing this shit, he had said this is the first 9' that he's ever had a problem setting up. He also said the the back lash was set at .008", and he marked both caps with a punch so he wouldn't get them mixed up

24. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

No bull this time, the crush sleeve was not installed right.....Not crushed enought or put in front of the bearing, not between them......

25. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

If he said he did not like the way it went back together, why did you agree to take it and not wait for it to be done correctly?

26. MyRoaddog

MyRoaddog
    from Tampa Fl

Even a person who has been doing this for 30 years can make a mistake. The biggest mistake was installing it in the car without getting the gear pattern correct. The last time I had one that I could not set up, I threw the case out and used another one. They are not hard to set up, they just take patience. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The bad news is that that whole thing is a boat anchor now. And swallowing the pinion does sound dirty! :)

27. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Global Warming..................

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done so many I can damn near do that.

I dunno, I like my pinion swallowed:eek:

You must have got a mixed up set from Speedway. There'll be another like it soon.

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

were you having these problems BEFORE the present administration took over??????

dj

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I NEVER use ring and pinion gears for a 9 inch Ford that were not made by FORD.

I know ... Ford does not make them anymore :( ... and even Ford Motorsport is made by someone other than Ford :eek: ... but with a little looking, you can still find NOS 9 inch Ford ring and pinions ... for reasonable money.

I would rather use a set of decent used Ford gears than a new set of the junk still there now. :D