Register now to get rid of these ads!

Save your nickles!! The Ralph Whitworth Collection heads to auction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragnut, Jun 8, 2009.

1. I,m going out collecting beer bottles to cash in. The "Deora" will finally be mine.....ya, I wish!

2. Weasel

Weasel

You guys are speaking Canadian french - the word is Phuque:D

An absolutely stellar collection but I am not sure if I would really want the responsibility of owning a hot rodding icon - I would be scared to drive them and that's where I get most pleasure - from driving. With an icon it's like a trophy - sit there and stare at it. I'll be sure to make it to the auction though and live vicariously through other people spending their money!

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The starliner is a clone of the Alexander bros Adonis that was built for Bill Whetstone in 61. The clone was done by my friend John Schleicher. It is a great car, the original got smashed up and junked in the late 60's

[​IMG]

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Good lord almighty. I dunno which car(s) I'd have to have if I could afford it (them). What an outstanding collection of very historically important cars. Oh yeah...I'd drive that NASCAR truck thing to work......

5. guffey

guffey

I had the original block repaired and rebuilt.

6. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

Does anybody know why he decided to just sell al the cars he has?, or is this just part of his collection?

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sorry, I forgot about that, I have slept since then, I should have known better. Guffey is the KING of original!!!!!

8. Foul

Foul

Thanks! Y'all can have your Deoras and Adonises and whatnot, I'd sell a kidney AND a testicle for that car.

dan

9. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

I wish they would webcast that auction, I would pay an admission to participate over the 'net.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Holy shit!!! 31Whitey is going to flip when he sees the Sonny Mazza Roadster up for sale.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Can someone educate me? I did a quick search but came up blank. Who was "Whitworth" and what's the story/motivation for breaking up this collection? Looking through a Google search I see a lot of Whitworths in academia but none (in the first few pages) that refer to this collection.

I'd love to know more of the story here. This group of cars is amazing.

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I think this is the car that had an unbelievable 18:1 comp ratio on that poor banger engine. Awesome car and the inspiration for my next single seat 4 cylinder roadster.

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see a bobber rat rod truck made it into the mix ;), like it or not Rudy did set the style. (I like it better with the hookers on the door).

I am actually happy to see the collection broken up, gives more people a chance to drive and enjoy so many wonderful cars.

14. A very impressive collection to say the least!

Almost all of these, if you put them in the context of when you first saw them at the track, show, or magazine, could tell us all about our own history.

All in all, no matter where they all end up it's great to know they all still exist. Thanks for the heads up, dragnut!

15. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

let's go in on the 1965 Dodge Deora Concept Car. i need something to complement the river down by my shop.

[​IMG]

16. Is that the same 70 Chevelle SS454 that went for big bucks a few years back at Barrett-Jackson ? It had drag racing history but I thought it was restored to the way it left Detroit and had NO lettering .

17. Plowboy

Plowboy

I would like to have the wrecked Dukes of Hazzard car to put in my front yard up on blocks. That would rule.

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

So what's the story, how was this fellow able to aquire so many historic cars? Don't think to much of collections in general, but sure would have been nice in a museum setting for all to see. If not, it will be nice to see them spread out again.

19. RW is the same dude we saw buying these cars at BJ the last few years, tall guy, close cropped hair, casually eating yogurt while dropping major coin. Too bad the museum is not a go, I wished him luck.

20. Ralph Whitworth , won THE Von Dutch striping/paint box in a monster bidding war at that auction (as well as a lot of other VD and Roth stuff) Curious to see if that goes up in this auction. As far as Ralph's background, he is a $heavy$ duty investor who was amassing cars for a museum in Winnemucca, NV. He is all over google in the investor news stories. Hope that helps.
    D.

21. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

We should all get together and buy one then use it like a time share...LOL

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't LaJolla also a re-creation? I always thought the original was rootbeer brown. No matter, the design is a true benchmark from days gone by and IMO the best ever Chev kustom of that series/year(s).

23. banjorear

banjorear

Wait, can I confirm that this was one dude's collection? If so, God damn that is some liquid right there.

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

ill call dibs on Oz's t-bird

25. 00 MACK

00 MACK

All I know is somone needs to re do the left side hood scoop on Cool 50. Now I have a bargaining chip.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Automotive Museums have always been touch and go for survival. Many were started to showcase the private collection of the owner and take advantage of tax writeoffs and losses but failed to make money ever and had to be closed since the IRS advantages expired.
    Automotive enthusiasts believe that the museums dedicated to their hobby are big moneymakers and public draws but the facts are that they are not at all. Few who are not auto people ever go to such museums and there just aren't enough auto people to keep them open even if they would go.

27. the ohio george ranchcro the mii 32 tudor or the bad habit fiat would all look good in my shed. or any of the rest either

that 32 would be cool as a good start to a bitchen car. does it have any history to it all tha others do?

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

We pitted next to Ohio George at Englishtown years ago, never forgot his hauler, was as nice as his car, neat to see it still around.

29. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

It's amazing that someone with the business acumen that Mr Whitworth has would pay the outrageous $$$ (as seen in the BJ auctions) for cars in this collection. Musta been pure passion