Register now to get rid of these ads!

original 32 frame...made in germany ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rocketeer, Feb 27, 2009.

1. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

This is an original 1932 chassis at my friends speed shop in Nordlingen/Southern Germany. It was built at the ford werke in Cologne in 1932. As we all know Ford produced all over the globe. (btw I´m still looking for the ultimate 32 Ford barnfind here in good ole germany....:D)
    I thought it might be very interesting for references and comparising. Also I believe you guys in the states don´t see stuff like this very often.
    Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Is that original rear cross member and spring or did it have a rearward curved spring with different shape frame member? I have seen colonial style rear cross member which was completely different to other 32's and have never seen US chassis shaped this way.

3. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

from what I´ve heard the whole chassis is original, no mods. But I´m not the deuce expert.

4. No Chris, there are no remarkable diffirences, other than the "Made in Germany" stamps at the rear cross member. I run such a chassis under my roadster. But its ten years ago since the build.

5. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

other than "made in germany" it looks like the ones made in the states,to me.

-danny

6. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

Hey Mike, great to hear from you my ole´buddy !
    DAMN ! 10 years just went by like this , huh ?

7. It looks like the American Henry built frames,,with the exception of the Made in Germany stamp. HRP

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I wonder WHY ...
    It was not stamped in German ... instead of English ??

:confused: :confused:

9. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Hi

Can you post a picture of the pedal asembly, where it mounts to the frame.

I have a Deuce frame from an euro sedan under my A body.
    It has a different kind of pedal asembly than the ones you find everywhere.
    Never actually found out what it is. An EARLY model or some non mainstream euro stuff perhaps.

Pedals, axle etc are the same but the cup shaped mount is not there. There are some integrated brackets in the K-member.

Paul

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

good point!

maybe its because they bought the stamp from us?
    i dont know, just a thought

11. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

The chassis is sold and was delivered to a customer somewhere in germany so I won´t be able to make any more pics, I´m sorry.
    The "made in germany question":
    It happened before WW1, around 1912 or 13. Germany wanted to sell their products worldwide, so it had to be written in english because german was not the world´s language. During the war the british refused to buy german goods.
    The goods and products could be spotted very easy because it said "made in germany", so the brits didn´t buy german goods anymore.
    But soon after the war the "made in germany" became a proof for quality products and the germans kept this for a long while.
    Also Ford as an american company in germany had the right to write it in english anyway.
    Even the Dunlop tires in the 30´s produced in germany had written made in germany on the flanks.
    But still it was very common to just write "hergestellt in Deutschland".
    Even on the Ford Emblem it said: "Deutsches Erzeugnis" (german product)
    [​IMG]

12. Deuce Roadster- lots of things that were made in Germany ( toys, especially) were stamped that way as the manufacturers did a good bit of exporting.

13. Friend of mine had a 30's gas kitchen stove that had a swastika cast in the knobs for the burners. It was a really nice porcenalized white, black and blue. He used it until he sold his place in Aptos, CA and retired back to Michigan in 2000. Extremely well made.

Charlie

14. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

why does always somebody has to come up with swastikas everytime something german is involved in hotrodding. I hate it :mad:! btw we´re talking 1932 !:rolleyes:

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The made in Germany was based on American law requiring imported stuff to be labeled by origin...'Made in" labeling can be used to date some types of antiques, and practically everything mass produced anywhere came to have such labeling, including stuff most unlikely to reach the USA.
    I think main difference on that chassis will be only the brake crossshaft made with an independent emergency brake.
    Germany produced 1932 BB pattern trucks until the late 1930's, I think, and kept their updated B engines in production until considerably after the war.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Russian GAZ50 jeeps had the updated B counterbalnaced crank engines with various extraneous bosses etc. cast in similar to the French flathead V8s. They were made for many years after WWII as well. Some were imported to the US during the late 60s-early 70s. The engines were used in the Russian version of the BB-trucks so oddly, both the Germans and the Russians had the same Ford trucks serving the armed forces as they battled it out in the cold after Hitler's foolish invasion of Russia in 1941.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

BUT, was the stove "Made in Germany"? The swastika (hakenkreutz) well before the 3rd Reich and suring was used as ornamentation in many countries throughout the world including the USA.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And the English/Indian/Anzac armies and the Germans swapped and reswapped huge numbers of Ford V8 trucks and armored carriers and Chevy/Opel 6 cylinders in the huge swings of fortune in Africa...
    The German G28T (1942 upgrade) of the B is now considered a desireable find amongst banger people.
    I was just reading a Joe McClelland article in R&C...he's the guy (Ford Parts Obsolete) who brought over the Commie Bangers circa 1970...the article covered a banger tour of Baja California, with a '31 sedan and a '33 B truck as the late model support vehicle. Both were equipped with Russian B's. I can remember drooling over the ads for new B engines at the time, when I was a penniless theological student.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Swastika factoid! One US army National Guard regiment, from New Mexico with lots of Native American soldiers, entered WWII with Swastika shoulder patches, a very old decoration based on Indian themes. The patches were hastily re-designed...
    And the "Made In..." stamps created a bit of wierdness. I've seen WWII Germany army stuff neatly marked "Made in Germany", and I have a US Army match container with a little compass in the lid. This came in its original box, with some 1942-44 manufacture date, and th face of the compass is neatly marked "Made in Germany!"

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Check the photos of the LA Roadsters "clubhouse" in hotrod magazines in the 60s-70s and you'll see Iron Crosses, swastikas, and the Nazi plain cross emblems on trophies and other items including the tailgates of pickup hotrods. To the victors go the spoils.

The fact is that for 12 years, 1933-1945, the swastika was the official emblem of the German nation and usd by the NSDAP for a number of years before that, and that is history.

Don't sweat it. When Japan is mentioned we still think about the picture of the baby on the tracks in Shanghai and the POW march in Bataan, not to mention the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Thank your lucky stars you're not Italian! The butts of jokes for decades about cowardice in battle who kept the trians running on time for Il Duce.

On a happier note, in 1962 in Nurnberg a 1932 Ford B400 was for sale on a car lot for $150, nice car with dual sidemounts and accessory trunk and rack. Don't now what happened to it, but wouldn't YOU?

21. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

I´m italian ! .....just kiddin´:)
    Of course I know all that. Even the Beach Boys Coupe had a swastika on the blower pulley in 1961. And the people in Bali are wearing swastika T-shirts because it means health and sun.
    well I guess we just have to live with that.
    Anyway, just wanted to show you this german made frame.

22. VanHorton

VanHorton

i dont care if there arent any differences between US ones, that is still awesome.

23. I didn't intend in any way for the comment to be political. I'm sorry if it offended.

Charlie

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Thanks for this great trip into the past with you and your friend's "foreign" Fords.

25. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

it´s allright ,Charlie !:) I´m sorry for freaking out ´bout that stupid (stove)thing;)

26. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Back to the frame........
    The German frames have more(and bigger) rivets where the k member legs meet the rails.
    Michael

27. theflame

theflame

Frame differences aside, what differences were there between a German Model B and an American one? Were the body styles the same, eg: 3 window, 5 window?

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I don't have enough info on bodies...I have seen pics of a 3W which would have had to come from USA or Canada. Ford Germany became a real manufacturer in the '35-37 period, when they began making engines and everything else. Roughly 1932-1935 they were still an assembly plant using major bits from outside, but rapidly increasing local content.
    Lots of stuff in this period came from England...flip over the "Deutsches Erzeugnis" and you MIGHT find "Made in Birmingham" on the back!
    England supplied many V8 basics and the entire small car line, the Koln I think in Germany...small 4, ancestor of British Fords. A lot had to come from elsewhere, since GB was only marginal in the V8 line, presumably Canada and/or USA?? They may also have made versions of the British V8 Model 62, like Matford in France?
    I do not know if the funny British '32 sedans were used in Germany...American/Canadian types certainly were. By the mid thirties, the few catalogs I have show what I think are Germany only bodies...just crude drawings of partial bodies in parts book.
    Generally they followed USA year changeovers, a bit behind, until the war in cars. In trucks, I think they made only 1932, 1935, and 1940 types, with the '32 lasting long enough to be used in the war. Most wartime trucks though seem to be made of various 1940-1942 components.

29. Andy

Andy

The pedals with the bracket side as part of the frame is very early production.

30. In Denmark, Holland, Belgium, France, etc and probably Germany they used the "English" sedan bodies both tudor and fordor with suicide doors. (fordors had 4 suicide doors).
    Coupes i don't know, but my 2 tudor sedans both came from France and 1 is "English" (was a 4-banger) and 1 is "American" style body (orginal V-8) so it's hard to tell what was used where.