Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from a Davenport newb

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by IronSwine, Jun 1, 2009.

1. IronSwine

IronSwine

Hey all...
    Im just a guy in Davenport that loves these old rods. I have been trying to make it to every show I can, but time is limited, as you all know. I went to the Rust Revival in Wayland, Missouri this past weekend and it was a BLAST! Never seen a party quite like that. If anyone was there, I was one of the guys on a vintage bicycle with a motor. We spent the weekend hanging with the guys from King Pins of Illinois. Big thanks to the Kropdusters for putting on a fantastic show!

A little about myself...
    I got started with cars at a young age. My parents drag raced through much of my childhood at little tracks like Havana, Illinois and Cordova Raceway Park, Illinois. Being a motorhead is kind of in my blood. I learned how to drive from my mother, who was and still is one of the best drivers I know. She was ALWAYS beating my dad to the finish line, and that really pissed him off.

At around age 15 I started tinkering with old Schwinn bicycles. I enjoyed building mild customs and lowriders, and continued with that until last year. I met Jim Batten in September of last year, and everything has spiraled since then. He is a painter and pinstriper and an all around good guy to be in the company of. A no-bull type of guy. We are building bikes together now, in the tradition of teens and twenties motorcycles.

Im just now getting into the traditional rod scene, and loving every rust-covered inch of it. Im the type of guy that loves to soak up info and learn everything I can. Im looking forward to meeting a lot of you in person and picking up all the tips and information I can.

I run a small operation called IronSwines Heavy Metal Bicycles. I build customs, originals, provide and locate parts, and I enjoy trying to squeeze a motor in anything that isnt supposed to have one. My mission is to have a badass "A" someday, maybe even a kool old wagon. I know that surrounding yourself with the right people can speed up that process, and smooth out unforseen difficulties along the way. The best way to overcome a problem is to ask someone else who already has.

Thanks for having me, its an honor.

Also, big thanks to those I met at the Detroit Autorama this year, and those at the Rust Revival as well. This has by far been the most incredible year of my life so far, and 90% of the credit goes to you traditional rod lovers that made it possible. I hope to see you all again at the next show!

Jon aka IronSwine
    Davenport, Iowa

2. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

You must be tired after that intro! Welcome to the HAMB>

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

GREAT intro! That's how it should be done! Welcome aboard bud.

4. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Welcome from 50 miles away right here in good old Kewanee,Illinois

5. IronSwine

IronSwine

Hell yeah Slickster! Im originally from Pekin, but work took me to Houston, Texas last year, and we got taken out by Hurricane Ike. Moved to Davenport, and here I will stay. The Quad Cities is a fantastic place to be, and Im looking forward to the swap here in August?? I think its August. Who was that HAMB guy I was talking to at the gas station about my motorbike?? He was a cool ass dude. As far as Im concerned, youre all cool ass dudes....and dudettes. You know what I mean... Ill post some pics from the Rust Revival soon. Im uploading them to photobucket now, so hopefully they will finish by tomorrow *rolls eyes*.

Swine

6. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I have friends in pekin and an ex co-worker from there also.I stil make my way over to pekin on occassion to go to the little surplus store that sells steel and hardware.

7. IronSwine

IronSwine

Thats funny...it really did take till "tomorrow" to upload those pix....stupid photobucket...

Vids coming on YouTube tomorrow of some sweet SMOKEY burnouts!

8. Welcome to the jungle....from another quad-city kid,born in East Moline and even went to school in Silvis for a while........lotta H.A.M.B.ers in your area

9. Hal_396

Hal_396

Welcome from Center Point, IA. You will find lots of Iowans here.

10. ALF_Doc

ALF_Doc

Hello from another fellow Iowan here... southeast corner about 15 miles from where you were in Wayland. If I had known about what was going on, I'd have went and checked it out!

Damon

11. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

welcome from down the road

12. IronSwine

IronSwine

Man I never knew there were so many of you in Iowa!

I have a question...was anyone at the party on Saturday night of the Autorama Weekend this year...at Denise's house? Lemme know...I remember some H.A.M.B. guys/gals being there, but cant remember all the names. I know I met Ryan that weekend, and his dad as well....but they have no reason to remember me.

Thanks for the warm welcome people!

Swine

13. IronSwine

IronSwine

hotrodladycrusr....

That Olds in your garage is freakin bad ASS! I had a blast at your house that Saturday night. I didnt realize until just a minute ago that you are who you are....der. You got a cool house there, lady. I dont think I have ever felt quite so comfortable in a strangers house full of strangers. Must be a gearhead thing. I thanked you profusely for inviting us into your home that night before I left, but I wanted to thank you again.

Im uploading a few crappy vids to YouTube right meow, so they should be finished sometime this weekend.....ugh.

One last thing...

If anyone knows Jeremy Minamyer, or if he reads this...please contact me. I spoke to him about making some custom gas tanks for our motorbikes that night and would like to get the ball rolling on that as soon as possible. I understand that racing season is in full tilt, I just want to get in touch and make plans to make plans.

I am sooooo diggin' this site......

Swine

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  14. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

welcome to the hamb bro!!!! glad ya hada good time at the RR!!!

15. welcome to the HAMB - I am just around the corner by the fairgrounds in Davenport-POPO is from here to -I have the Yellow 33 chevy coupe and the 40 chevy 2dr sedan BBQ black with gray roof and has MR KRUDE on the trunk lid & tags-usually one of them is parked under the electric fairgrounds sign across from the bank I live on Lincoln ave up the street from Clayton at Auto Rons

16. IronSwine

IronSwine

Hey Todd thanks man! It was awesome...

burnnflamz...Im down off River Drive by Sears Manufacturing. I go by your house almost every day. You have probably seen me tooling around town on my motorbike. If youre cruisin your car sometime and some idiot in a green Focus hatchback is giving you the ROCK N ROLL sign....thats me. I love old cars and I make it known.

Pics from the Blacktop Barons Roadblock in Yorkville Illinois coming soon!

Jon

17. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Welcome from Cedar Rapids (Marion), Good to see a fellow Iowan. I grew up not too far from Davenport. I live in the dull little metropolis of Dixon, IA. Still have several buddies in the Quad Cities that I swing by and visit from time to time.

Wish I could've run into you at the Rust Reival. That was one hell of a good show. I definitely plan on making it back next year. Detroit Autorama Rocked too!Got lots of show to hit this year and if you haven't been there yet, put the Hunnert Car Pilup on you list of shows you must attend. I am hoping to have a booth this year to sell artprints and shit.

Good to see ya on the HAMB!

18. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel

Welcome from beautiful Keokuk.

19. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

Welcome from SC, however I did live in Davenport for a couple of years - ex -husband went to Palmer. Loved IA and still have good friends from the area.

Your intro is great, hope to meet up with you someday.

20. Onelow34

Onelow34

welcome from Burlington? If You want to meet UP, talk to "PoPo: He is TRYING To SET something Up!

21. thurstin

thurstin

Dude, how have ya been? I have not heard from ya for awhile!

Dan

22. Hey man i used to live on keota up from ganzo's-now some other mexican restaurant name -i lived by frank with the panhead

23. i used to live on keota behind Ganzos-house is gone 6yrs now-flood plane -lived by Frank with the wicked Panhead

24. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Hello from Texas

25. dirttoo

dirttoo

I'm from Moline. I can see Iowa from my house(almost)

26. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Hello from Texas

27. Geophyguy

Geophyguy

Welcome from Central Texas.

28. hey thurstin-do you know Chris Miller - a buddy of mine bought his old 57 chevy it is almost done