Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help..."tilt the world" magneto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomfordman, Jun 6, 2009.

1. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Crap! Someone tell me somthing I don't want to hear because I don't want to believe it.

I fired up the mill a few nights ago with the mag. installed and it works great...er, sort of. The mag is doing a "tilt the world" as the engine is running...just flopping all over the place in an eliptical motion and gets worse with more RPM (of course).

I fear that the shaft is bent...is it true? I thought maybe the thing needs a little more clearnace, so I shimmed it up a bit. It is better, but not much.

Is it really bent, or does anybody have any insight to this problem. Prior to running the mag. I did have the Chrysler dizzy in it and there was no amusement rides with that.

2. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Sorry about that. It's a '56 354 Chrysler with a Vertex Mag. Good point, is the slot off set? I thought it was centered and I never scrutinzed it. I did stab it 180 out and rerouted my wires for clearance from the the rear carb. I'll go check it out.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

If the portion of the magneto housing slips into its hole and there's little or no slop, I'd say bent shaft...unless the slot/blade is actually eccentric/offset and only suppoesd to go one way...

dj

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What kind of a clamp is on it? Lippy

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The slot is not off set. Take the Mag with the cap off and put it in a vice or something lightly gripping it. Turn the rotor and observe the shaft. If it's bent it will show. try to find some way to ground the rotor besides through you.

6. I don't doubt that you've already checked but you make look for sloppy bushings/bearings in the mag.

I had a bad bushing in an Old Joe Hunt mag once drove me nutz until I figured it out.

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Oh, you mean tilt-a-whirl! I thought you were talking about a mag that's powerful enough to disturb the magnetic poles of the earth. yea...:rolleyes: Sounds like a sloppy lower bushing to me.

8. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

thanks guys, I got off my ass and went and checked a few things. the shaft is bent. F me runnin'! anybody got a tack drive shaft for me, while we're at it, got a housing...mine is dinged

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

I may be way off base here, I've never owned a mag, but I hear that it's a good idea to send them in from time to time to get rebuilt. If you have a bent shaft and a dinged housing, maybe it's time to send it back home for a rebirthing. I'm sure they have dealt with that stuff before.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  10. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Is the ride really called "tilt-a-whirl"? I thought it was "world"...I was always paying more attention to the carnies than the rides.

Time to send this unit in to Joe Hunt...its gonna hurt isn't it? Is he a Hamb member?

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

It's a tilt a whirl. I still got the internal scars from barfing after the carney let us ride it like 40 minutes straight at full speed.

Man, I'd put that shaft in some V blocks and real gently work it with a runout gauge and a hammer. It's what the racer that sold it to ya woulda done if he'd reused it after the wreck :)

Good luck!

12. 63Compact

63Compact

I agree but use a press not a hammer.

13. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

while your talking about mag's. i've had a mag question that know one seams to be able to answer or want too. i want to know if any one makes a mag for a 300cid ford I6? looked at both the vertex and joe hunt sites and they seam to be all about hemi's and sbc's