Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leather wrapped steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bustingear

bustingear

Ok a question for interior pros. I happened along a late model steering wheel with a leather wrap. It is black and has experienced alot of use causing the black dye to rub off and show the leather underneath but only on one side. My question is what is the best way to get it back to black. I want to use somthing that will work and realy stay on. Has anyone experice with products that will do this job properly. Some of the interior paints are just not up to expectation and probably will not stay on in a high contact area like this. Suggestions? Thanks

2. striper

striper

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

shoe polish,followed by leather conditioner.

4. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Leather dye. Used it in high school back in the 60's. Use to be able to get it from a shoe repair business. Can't help but think that's what was originally used.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Hit your local tack store (horse & cowboy supply), they've got some miraculous products to restore leather. Saddles are expensive and people go to great lengths to keep em looking nice.

6. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

Contact Xian hes a JockeyJournal member. Heres his web site it has his phone number call him. He will be happy to help you he is a great guy. he spent about an hour and a half on the phone w/ me getting me on the right track w/ my tooling problems.
    http://www.xianleather.com/

7. I bought some black at Walmart last year.

Made by one of the major shoeshine outfits.

Shinola I believe

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

X2! Leather dye is cheap and easy to use, especially black.

Ask the shoe repair guy about how to clean/prepare the leather before using it, however. Grime and skin oil from the driver's hands will prevent the dye from penetrating the leather unless it's removed...but you don't want to damage the leather during the cleaning process.

Hope this helps! :)

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad that you can tell the difference.:D

They used to tell me that I didn't know shit from Shinola. I'm beginning to think they were right.

I think I got my black liquid shoe dye from Kmart.

10. Billet

Billet

The leather dye will work fine, I used it on my saddle bags and it works. The color should match well unless the surface is scuffed. Good luck

11. bustingear

bustingear

Thanks for all the replies. Now I need to know what best to clean it with before dye?

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Going out on a limb here, but it's probably mentioned on the back of the dye can and sold right alongside it :D

13. 61TBird

61TBird

There are quite a few choices in leather "cleaners",I've used plain WARM water and a clean towel to take the "grime" off of the steering wheel.
    For those that know the Interior in a Ford King Ranch,you'll know how time consuming it is to clean it.

Instead of buying leather dye,get a small can of Kiwi black shoe polish.
    Open up the can,light the center of the polish with a match,let it burn for a few seconds.
    It will "melt" the wax and float the dye on top.
    Dip a rag in the liquid and wipe it on the steering wheel.
    Instant Leather dye.

14. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

If it were me, I would be using fiebings leather dye.

http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes.aspx

They also make a clear top coat that, unlike using shoe polish, (shoe polishes are wax based and can get sticky), won't allow the color to come off on your hands. Sort of like a base cost, clear coat paint job. Their stuff is first rate, maybe a little pricey, but it works! Good luck!

Eric
    Hot Rod Leather

15. mj40's

mj40's

Is there anyone here on the HAMB that I could send mine to that does the replacement covers with hand sewing???? I have my own leather.

16. Slate

Slate

www.leatherique.com

I used their steering wheel kit for a non HAMB car about two years ago and still looks great.

17. mj40's

mj40's

The problem here is the wheel has never been covered before and I want leather on it now.